Salary in germany (colonge area)

Hello,

I have nearly 9 years of experience in Automotive embedded software development.
I have got an offer of 65000 Euro (brutto) from one company.
Please let me know, how shall i asses this offer.

I am married and having also a daughter.

Looking forward for reply from experts.

Thanks!

How you shall assess this offer?
Well, decide whether it is attractive to you (if yes, accept it) or not (then decline).
In case you meant (but did not say) you want to know if the pay is good for your level - please consult salary surveys and comparisons. Some are available on the internet (Google is your friend!), but most are published by consultancies and cost quite a lot.
In case you meant you want to know what lifestyle this salary can buy - it is above German average household income, so unless you have unusually expensive habits you should be o.k.

Hi,

It depends how much you want to save, out of this salary you will get 43K i hand (tax calculator as below)

parmentier.de/steuer/steuer.htm?wagetax.htm

Also 700-1200 euros per month for apartment and 300-500 per month for food, now if you are sending your kid to international school 800-1000 euros for that.

so plan accordingly.

Here is a link to a site in English that shows average salaries for different jobs in Germany. It looks like it is based on a very small sample size and does not mention the cities but Cologne probably has a pretty average cost of living for a big German city. They show similar jobs as yours as getting 60,000 Euros, so it sounds like you are getting an okay deal. Additional benefits can be very relevant to deciding on such an offer. Some places might offer a bit less pay but have a fitness club, daycare etc. with no additional cost. As a123 mentioned, a private international school can cost a considerable sum compared to a free public school. The public school system is good in Germany but individual schools in lower income neighborhoods in Berlin or Hamburg might be undesirable for some. It really depends on your situation. If you plan to stay for 5 years or more and your children are still young then putting them in a public school might be ideal; they can learn a new language and get a good education. If you only stay a year or so or a child is near the end of their education then it might not be worth the stress of getting integrated into the German system if they dont already speak German.. http://www.payscale.com/research/DE/Ind … ier/Salary

I can't comment on the salary, but yes, your child's age is very important. What does the employer offer in terms of education? We have lots of international friends with school age children. Some work for EASA, which pays tuition at St. George's, but they only have so many places, so your kid might not get in. Our kids were born here, and we have no problem sending them to public school. My older son lives in the US, but spent a year with us and went to sixth grade at IFK. I'm not unhappy with them educationally, but they have a ridiculous food policy - vegetarian, bad by all accounts, and no sack lunch allowed - so he basically starved on school days. I haven't heard much about St. George's.

I would say that a bigger issue than salary is how you see your commute. Where is the employer, where is the kindergarten or school, and where do you want to live? We are in a good situation. The kindergarten is walking distance as will be the school. My wife and I commute by bike, although she rides 4km each way (but she is fit as a boxer!), and we are central for shopping and other activities. We don't need our car in town at all. Others though are stuck with driving their kids to school in one corner of the city and then to work in another. Traffic can be bad here, so I don't envy them. The train network is expansive, but doesn't go everywhere.

One thing to consider is that Cologne is very safe compared to many other cities. Kids ride public transport alone from age 12 or even younger, and the prices are cheap for them,  so you don't need to leave work early to get them to soccer practice, for example.

I would say that that salary should be fine if your logistics aren't crushing. If I had to spend three hours in a car each day though, even 100k wouldn't entice me.

Overall. Cologne is a great place to live and raise children. Certainly better than anywhere in US, where I'm from.

Oh, I only just noticed that you are coming from India. In that case I would even more highly endorse Cologne. It is very international compared to most of Germany or Europe in general, and with little in the way of ethnic tensions. Even my Uzbecki Au pair has found plenty of friends from her homeland to hang out with, and there are lots of Indian shops.

Hi,

There are useful comments on this subject already. Another link is a survey of manufacturing and engineering jobs in Western Germany:

http://www.michaelpage.de/productsApp_d … online.pdf

The salary seems ok with me. Important for you will also be your tax and social security burden (see: http://www.scheller-international.com/e … n-germany/)

Good luck and best regards

Peter Scheller

I think, it's the Salary for Professionals with 7 to 10 years experience in Automotive.
Embeded Systems Professionals are on demand however You may not find a better offer in Cologne Area.

This is not a bad salary.. I would accept if I were you