UTILITY TARIFFS FOR EXPATS

HIya everyone..

take at look at this article on The Malta Independent. Interesting indeed... any thoughts or experiences with these rogue criminals of local landlords??

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/natio … 3Z5WNKSySo

Hi SportsMan,

Thanks for sharing the article.

Someone knows if we have the same behavior when we let a property in a rental company?

Thanks

My landlord for years did this (not physical) but told me to leave if I didn't like it. He has come around now and will sign the form. Does anyone know, how the new reduction is working? My landlord received a letter saying that "as promised, (by the new government,) the electric on your bill has been reduced by 30% and water by 5% as from March" I haven't filled in the 'H' form yet, I am presuming this is a standard across the board thing? Will I get extra reduction if I fill in the 'H' form??

Sadly the reported behaviour and problems are widespread in Malta and concentrate on two main issues :

First: The security deposit is not refunded at the end of a lease period but kept due to any reason that the landlord might come up with).

Second: The utilities (electricity and water) are either at a flat rate or the billing from the power company EneMalta through their billing corporation ARMS is on the wrong tarif domestic or even commercial instead of residential). The differences in price can be massive to the renters disadvantage .

The reason behind this is that for some landlords it is just another source of income but in most cases it is due to the fact that many (most?) landlords do not pay income tax on their income out of their appartments. They themselves can only have their own residence on 'residential' rates and any other second or more properties on domestic. So having a second or more appartment on 'residential' is admitting that their property is rented out and not their own week-end flat or empty appartment on which they don't pay taxes.

The correct way to go about things is either for the landlord to sign ARMS form 'H' which registers the renter as being resident with more than '0' occupants in the appartment or to even have the bills in the residents name , but this neccessitates a depost of 465  for ARMS.

The recent rate deduction was  for both residential and domestic tarif. Here is link to the current rates:

http://www.enemalta.com.mt/index.aspx?c … amp;art1=9

So, to answer the original question, a change from 'domestic' to 'residential' electricity rates means another reduction of about 15-20 % since 1.April 2014.

The worst option is living in a building with only one official 'Smartmeter' and a lot of privately installed non-official meters as the consumption is pooled over the one meter and at the highest possible rate!

The most important question when moving into a new appartment is : Can I see the utility bill of the previous renters so I know what charges to expect in the way of electricity and water. If the landlord does not respond all warning lights should go on!

Utilities should be on a 'residential' rate and any monthly payments should be ' on account' and settled when the ARMS original bll is presented ( sometimes every two months but sometimes the period can be longer. And follow your own consumption by looking at your meter once a month.

If problems arise try to negotiate and contact 'Up in Arms' Class Avtion:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371466666251933/

Cheers
Ricky

also be wary of estimated bills as these are generally way off the mark.... and never ever accept a handwritten calculated bill from the landlord -

ask if the landlord will sign form h  - if he hasnt got one or pleads ignorance take one with you

ask what rate the property is on residential with a number of consumers,  or residential with 0 (zero) consumers =
domestic - ask for proof

check the return of deposit clauses

check also the clauses relating to leaving the contract early too - as many have found to their cost that even when theyre forced to leave by the actions of abusive unsavoury landlords  - their deposit is lost or stolen

never ever take a contract without residential tariffs

make it known to the estate agent - if you use one -that it is YOUR requirement  - and impose the requirement by asking them not to show you properties that will not sign form H - saves a lot of wasted time

out of interest ask them to show you their system of searching and if it included for search criteria based on tariff

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but can someone point me in the direction of the where the requirements for From H are detailed. Ricky mentioned 645EUR required by ARMS but I can't find ref to that anywhere.

I've found Form H but no mention of a deposit, just want to get info together for letting agent who doesn't know about this. :unsure

Edit: Found another ref to the deposit it here but it indicates its not required under certain circumstances.

Thks

The deposit of 465  is only required by ARMS if the property is billed in your name.

If the bill stays on the name of your landlord you only have to have the form H signed by your landlord/lady to have the number of residents included and billing is then with the residential rate. And the change is free of charge.

Cheers
Ricky

Thks Ricky, appreciate the quick reply. Since I posted landlord has agreed to Form H :)

plus you will also require a photocopy of front and back of the owners id card... for the application.

you only need to show a passport and rental agreement  - you dont have to have the new or even the old id card

excellent news.