I dream of living in Sharm!

For many years, I've dreamed of living in Sharm el Sheikh, especially the Naama Bay area. I've taken at least 30 holidays there since my first visit in 1996. I fell in love with the place the first time I saw it.
Unfortunately, as a 48 year old man, who has only ever worked as a heavy plant operator during the day and a musician in the evenings, job opportunities, or to be realistic, the lack of them, are the only things that hold me back. I'd catch a flight tomorrow and sleep on the beach, just to get away from England! But we all have to be sensible.

I guess what I'm saying is, how do I make the first steps? Can I rent a flat then look for a job when I get there? Do I find a job first?
Help me!!!!
Steve.

Hoping ur dream can  become true

WEll Im afraid I cant be a HUGE help to you BUT. My friend was living in Sharm the past year with her Egyptian husband while they waited for his greencard to the US. and they just picked up there things from his town near Mansoura and they found a studio Apt the second day and she got a job in one of the 5star hotels called the Plaza the next day I forget her official title but in short she just walked around the hotel and beach asking the guests about there stay. they started her at 4500le and gave her a raise shortly after. (all you need is to speak English which you do ;)) Also her husband worked from local coffeeshops  selling tourist excursions for things like glass bottom boats, four wheeling in the desert, and trips to cairo..ect I think either of those would be very easy for you to do and very easy to get started.

Try to apply to some jobs before you come, maybe through the internet you can find any, and if you didn't and your luck were bad, try to come here and search for a job, think it's kinda easy to find one here as long as you are capable of speaking English or maybe any other language. and there's many jobs that you can apply in and get it easy i guess ..

pretty city..you will enjoy

h34ton wrote:

For many years, I've dreamed of living in Sharm el Sheikh, especially the Naama Bay area. I've taken at least 30 holidays there since my first visit in 1996. I fell in love with the place the first time I saw it.
Unfortunately, as a 48 year old man, who has only ever worked as a heavy plant operator during the day and a musician in the evenings, job opportunities, or to be realistic, the lack of them, are the only things that hold me back. I'd catch a flight tomorrow and sleep on the beach, just to get away from England! But we all have to be sensible.

I guess what I'm saying is, how do I make the first steps? Can I rent a flat then look for a job when I get there? Do I find a job first?
Help me!!!!
Steve.

Hi Steve,

I can fully understand your desire to want to live in Sharm!

Logically speaking, I would say that you should check for job listings online. however the culture of work here in Egypt is primarily word of mouth, there are few companies that actually post their job opportunities online and it's more of a walk in and see if we have a job. If you're serious about moving to Sharm, you can find an apartment online and then take it from there. Check which season is the high season, and yes, you're right, you probably wouldn't find a decent job in construction, but tourism has loads of opportunities for English speakers (particularly in Sharm).

As you've probably noticed, Sharm is a little more expensive than other places in Egypt, Hurghada is the Egyptian Sharm, but cheaper, and still has a lot of opportunities here. (Although I fully understand the appeal of Sharm!)

Bottom line, it's much easier to find a job here once you are here. And bear in mind that many jobs in Sharm will offer you accommodation once you've signed the contract, so if you do find a place online don't sign a long term lease.

Wish you all the best in your search!!

Thank you all so much for your advice, I know it will prove invaluable to me.
I would like to ask, what could I expect to pay per week in rent for a property and what would an average weekly wage be for an expat? I like the fact that most of the hotel chains and tourism companies out there provide accomodation, I suppose it would be a blessing while you where trying to establish your roots! A place of your own though,you can't beat that!

Steve

h34ton wrote:

Thank you all so much for your advice, I know it will prove invaluable to me.
I would like to ask, what could I expect to pay per week in rent for a property and what would an average weekly wage be for an expat? I like the fact that most of the hotel chains and tourism companies out there provide accomodation, I suppose it would be a blessing while you where trying to establish your roots! A place of your own though,you can't beat that!

Steve

Well, rates of pay in Egypt are much lower than the UK, so don't be shocked with these figures!!!

Starting salaries for expats in Sharm average around 1000 USD per month (but with accommodation included) ranging up to 2500 per month. if you get a tour leader job, you will have a nominal basic salary, but you'll be making money on commission.

Rent in sharm is expensive all things considered. A studio apartment usually goes for a minimum of 2000 LE a month, then you have your electricity and water expenses on top of that.

Hope this helps in your decision!

Also - food for thought. I'm living in Egypt with an Egyptian salary, however I do a lot of work for companies overseas on an online basis. That's something worth checking in to, as with the Internet revolution you really can work from anywhere in the world. :)

I lived for the last 7 years in Sharm and I need to say that life changed a lot :

1. More expensive
2. Less tourists
3. Mentality change
although I had the same dream as you and i would say:

Don't think, don't feel worry just GO for it, you have only 1 life!!!

In my opinion you can better look for an apartment, start already living there and see for yourself what and where you exactly want to work.
You need to understand that the salaries in Egypt are not like the UK it's much more less unless you will work in diving but this business is not going that well anymore too.
As a musician you can work in the hotels and there you can make a nice deal, in the time I was working in the hotel as a manager the musician had 750 dollars for 4 hours in the evening plus accomodation - food - facilities of the hotel... so I guess this was not bad at all. I still have my contacts overthere so if you send me an e-mail i will forward you contactdetails and see what happen.

Go for it and life your life to the fullest, don't wait for 2morrow!!!

Succes

im in the same situation steve and would fly out tomorrow if it were so easy but i have to remin responsible due to having children, we would love to live in sharm/naama bay but its just getting that break n finding a job for myself and 3 older daughters...i wish you luck steve :)

Good luck Steve!!!
I'm tanking too about living in Sharm and if everything will be ok I'll move there in march...

Am A Diver & Musician in red sea , sharm elsheikh 9 years , if anyone Wants to ask about anything , Please Feel Free , I Would like to help By Anyway  .. .. ..

Egyptian .

hello temmperry;

so tell how was it with this shark aroud ?

suzana

Steve, there is a famous recruitment agency in Sharm if you are still looking for a job   jobinsharm.com
i know they need people for their own so they might be helpful.