What are the odds of getting an EP / S-pass without a degree?

Hi,

I'm a resident of India and have applied for jobs at a couple of startups (good ones) in Singapore as a Software Engineer. I'm in talks with a couple of them, and assuming I get a job, how hard would it be to get an EP / S-pass?

I checked with various criterions on SAT and with no degree (filled it in about a dozen times), I saw that I need to command at least $6000 / month salary to be eligible. Even with that, what are the odds of rejection? Also in case I am not awarded that salary (though I very much expect to be), what are the odds of getting approved for an S-pass (the SAT says qualified for S-pass only if the salary is below $6000)?

I have 2 years of experience working at a startup in India (in the same field I'm applying for in Singapore). And I also have about 2-3 years of freelance experience (though I don't have any documents other than probably PayPal receipts, Elance profile or bank statements to prove that).

Thanks

Before MoM abolished the EP classes recently, making the process less transparent (and giving them the chance to change the criteria at any time), the rules were like this:
- Every EP requires a (recognised) degree, except if the salary is above S$8000/month.
- S-Pass needs only a technical certificate (no degree), but is seldom granted above S$4000/month.

A comparable local with no degree and 2 - 4 years applicable experience in IT can expect to earn S$3000-3500/month. (Please note that this is not enough to rent your own apartment - you'd have to share one!) Foreigners (and especially Indians) are usually offered less than locals.

I already make an equivalent of about $2500 SGD working in India, with the cost of living being about one-third of that in Singapore. I'd expect at least a reasonable amount for the job title I'm applying for.

Regardless, my question is that MOM has this mentioned on their site:

[i]The SAT is accurate. If the SAT indicates that the candidate is not eligible, you should not send the Employment Pass application as it will be rejected. If the SAT indicates that the candidate is eligible, 9 out of 10 of such applications will be approved. The rejections that occur even when the SAT says yes are due to factors that the SAT cannot consider, such as poor company profiles and applicants with adverse records. - See more at: http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ … /default.a

Based on the criterion I entered above (assuming the salary is such), I qualify for a EP as per SAT, and the statement above gives some confidence. How valid is the above statement?

Since MoM's criteria are quite opaque (and constantly changing), you can only find out by applying.
Please post the result here, so we can all learn from it!

But my comment about the salary is correct, unless you have exceptional niche skills that make you more valuable. Singapore employers don't care if the cost of living is lower were you came from - and since there are lots of your compatriots desperate to work abroad, they can get away with paying Indians very little.

Also, the job title I'm applying for is a niche. Even in the startup I work for in India, it is hard to find people who are well qualified for that work (I've interviewed some people myself without success.) Could that possibly give me an edge over not having paper qualifications, assuming the employer puts forward the case as such?

Thanks beppi. That gives me some confidence. I have an interview scheduled next week, and if all goes well, will let you know the outcome.

Yes, a convincing (!) explanation why hiring you is essential to the company's success and thus will create jobs for locals in the long term, together with proof of the company's efforts (and failure) to find a suitably skilled local, might do the trick.
Good luck!