Reasons for moving to Vietnam

khanh44 wrote:

Peterpan visa extension runs are nothing to be afraid of if you do it once. You don't actually have to leave the country for a visa extension run but can go to the local immigration offfice.

Is that what you are doing? And how many times can you do it? I am thinking of staying long term.  It will cost me 300 + usd and two months of waiting to get this 10 year passport so I am a bit hesitant since I already have a valid visa extension.

peterpan75 wrote:

Is that what you are doing? And how many times can you do it? I am thinking of staying long term.  It will cost me 300 + usd and two months of waiting to get this 10 year passport so I am a bit hesitant since I already have a valid visa extension.

Can you explain a little more about this 10-year passport?  i.e., It's available from where and to whom?  What are the benefits?

DanFromSF wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Can you explain a little more about this 10-year passport?  i.e., It's available from where and to whom?  What are the benefits?

Honestly, I really don't know much about it myself. All I know is if you were born in Vietnam or married to a Vietnamese citizen, you can acquire it by applying for it. I've asked in another post about the pros and cons of this passport and so far, no one has really answered them. What someone did tell me is becoming a actual "dual citizen" is another step but this is the first step. My only concern was losing any rights as a US citizen once having this passport but from what I can tell, I would be fine? I guess it would save me time and aggravation dealing with extensions, renting, etc..  Anyone knows more about this, please chime in.

You won't lose any rights unless you denounce your US citizenship.  However, I'm doubtful about this 10-year passport you mention helping you in the way you think, but I'd be happy to be wrong on that.

Hey isn't having a Vietnamese passport considered vietnamese citizen already? I just applied for Vietnamese passport few months ago in the States cost me 250 USD ... its valid for 10 years and I am also an US citizen having an US passport at the same time. Im considered dual citizen... Just wondering if I still need to apply for work permit once I go to Vietnam .

I live in Dong Nai province and I hate roosters . A few of them have mysterious my gone missing lately with out a sound

Happy8888 wrote:

I live in Dong Nai province and I hate roosters . A few of them have mysterious my gone missing lately with out a sound

So you're the one talking my roosters. I was late for work today because my alarm clock didn't go off.

Sorry about that . They are buried next to the red rose tea house under the frangipani bush . Too scrawny to eat

Happy8888 wrote:

Too scrawny to eat

Not even the feet?

I could not think of anything worse apart from being referred to as an ATM or undergoing another ridiculous mental health check to get married where the checker was obviously insane

I have a 5-year Vietnamese Excemption Certificate (VEC). You can renew as much you like until your VEC expires. Than you just renew your VEC and repeat. Cost me $10 USD every 3 months to extend my stay in Dong Nai.

khanh44 wrote:

I have a 5-year Vietnamese Excemption Certificate (VEC). You can renew as much you like until your VEC expires. Than you just renew your VEC and repeat. Cost me $10 USD every 3 months to extend my stay in Dong Nai.

It should really be called a 4 1/2 yr Visa Exemption, they with hold 6 months of it..

I wrote a blog a number of years ago about retirement in Vietnam. Perhaps you might find some more information there.
http://owee58.com/2010/05/02/vietnam-a- … stination/

Owee58

The current law 1s that a VEC cannot be renewed like a visa and you are required to leave and renter every 3 months. Good on you if you have someone who renews it for you. Immigration dept in Nha Trang issued me a long term visa to replace the VEC. It confused the heck out of everybody.

Owee58

disvi3tboi wrote:

Hey isn't having a Vietnamese passport considered vietnamese citizen already? I just applied for Vietnamese passport few months ago in the States cost me 250 USD ... its valid for 10 years and I am also an US citizen having an US passport at the same time. Im considered dual citizen... Just wondering if I still need to apply for work permit once I go to Vietnam .

I second this comment, also, do you know what holding this 10 year passport entails?

Owee wrote:

The current law 1s that a VEC cannot be renewed like a visa and you are required to leave and renter every 3 months. Good on you if you have someone who renews it for you. Immigration dept in Nha Trang issued me a long term visa to replace the VEC. It confused the heck out of everybody.

Owee58

Not sure about that. I just renewed mine 2 months ago and am do to renew it next month. Just fill out the paperwork take to the ward police where you are registered get it stamped and take it to immigration. Fee is $10

Owee wrote:

Owee58

What is VEC?  Edit: Duh..I should read the other post. Forget this question. :offtopic:

khanh44 wrote:

Are you completely sure about all this info?!

Parmyd wrote:
Owee wrote:

Owee58

Not sure about that. I just renewed mine 2 months ago and am do to renew it next month. Just fill out the paperwork take to the ward police where you are registered get it stamped and take it to immigration. Fee is $10

This is good to know. So, would you guys suggest getting the 10 year passport or am I fine with this VEC? Does the passport have any advantages for renting a place, working, etc...

So my main question for everyone since know one seems to want to answer this, or nobody knows the answer is besides the 90 day runs to extend, is there any other advantages to having the 10 Year passport?! Please someone with actual knowledge help a brother out.

You may just be lucky. I was able to renew mine 3 times before they refused to do any more. In the end, It became a useless. I argued  with them to no avail. In the end I had 2 visas and one Visa exemption in my passport. The VEC was valid if I entered the country for 3 months. My 1 month visa was renewable to keep me here until I could either leave and re-enter or get a 1 year visa from the head if immigration here when he was available. I now use a residency card. No Hassles that way

Owee58

Owee wrote:

You may just be lucky. I was able to renew mine 3 times before they refused to do any more. In the end, It became a useless. I argued  with them to no avail. In the end I had 2 visas and one Visa exemption in my passport. The VEC was valid if I entered the country for 3 months. My 1 month visa was renewable to keep me here until I could either leave and re-enter or get a 1 year visa from the head if immigration here when he was available. I now use a residency card. No Hassles that way

Owee58

I thought the VEC that I have, and I believe the other posters have was given because of our birthright. Sorry, unless that's just a random pic of some older white guy, you do not look Vietnamese American.

"Are you completely sure about all this info?!"

Yes. I have lived here for 6 years and gone through a lot of hassles with my residency. I even have Viet police family that are just as baffled at the system. You are correct in your assessment that nobody knows..... here or there. My VEC was renewed for 10 dollars until it was discovered by the local office that they were not supposed to.
Get the passport if you can. I did it for my wife and it makes everything much easier for working legally and property ownership.

Owee58

Owee wrote:

"Are you completely sure about all this info?!"

Yes. I have lived here for 6 years and gone through a lot of hassles with my residency. I even have Viet police family that are just as baffled at the system. You are correct in your assessment that nobody knows..... here or there. My VEC was renewed for 10 dollars until it was discovered by the local office that they were not supposed to.
Get the passport if you can. I did it for my wife and it makes everything much easier for working legally and property ownership.

Owee58

Mate you are being conned, as Parmyd said, you can renew your VEC as many times as the validity allows, I've also been doing it for the last 3 yrs, no problems , and I live rural,  they were the ones who suggested I get a VEC, my wife was still in fantasy land waiting for a reply from my 2 yr old PR application.
Peter Pan,  anyone can get a VEC, as long as they meet the requirements, for us whitey's, we need to have a VN spouse, or maybe even a 1/2 VN child, who was born here????, not sure about that one though.

Blunz....... No con, just reality in Nha Trang. 3 years? Really? It was the head of immigration after years of renewals that aided me in getting a more permanent solution and money was not involved (except correct fees)
So..... Whatever..... I think you are lucky with the person renewing it. Good for you is all I can say. I am just happy that I no longer need one.

Owee wrote:

Blunz....... No con, just reality in Nha Trang. 3 years? Really? It was the head of immigration after years of renewals that aided me in getting a more permanent solution and money was not involved (except correct fees)
So..... Whatever..... I think you are lucky with the person renewing it. Good for you is all I can say. I am just happy that I no longer need one.

Must be just Nha Trang?, there is another Foreigner here as well on a VEC.  ( hes been on it longer than me ).
Sometimes they can be helpful, as I said it was the Cong An who suggested I get a VEC.  ( but one single thing not 100% correct on that application form , and look out, one time a female officer working there , corrected a small mistake, but we found out the next day , it wasn't even acceptable then  )
  How's the Homestay/Tourism business going?

BIZ is OK but Nha Trang is changing......... Not sure if I can change with it. I was much happier before the Airport became international.

Owee wrote:

BIZ is OK but Nha Trang is changing......... Not sure if I can change with it. I was much happier before the Airport became international.

You learning to speak Russian?
What is this thing you are on now called, plus how do you go about getting the residence card, ( not PR ? ),  is that where they put you on the Household book?

In conjunction with a working permit you can be issued a temporary residence card based on the expiry of your passport. You need a company to sponsor you. ( some people have fictional companies ) The process costs about 400-500 dollars. or over a thousand if you have someone do it for you ;) The card can be renewed, I was told about 60 dollars but not sure.
The Blue household book is different but with the RC you do not have to be entered all the time... only once until the expiry of the card. I am still working on PR. That one is complicated but not impossible.
As to learning Russian..... I would have to go to the tourist areas for that. My world is still Vietnamese..... for the moment

Owee58

Owee wrote:

In conjunction with a working permit you can be issued a temporary residence card based on the expiry of your passport. You need a company to sponsor you. ( some people have fictional companies ) The process costs about 400-500 dollars. or over a thousand if you have someone do it for you ;) The card can be renewed, I was told about 60 dollars but not sure.
The Blue household book is different but with the RC you do not have to be entered all the time... only once until the expiry of the card. I am still working on PR. That one is complicated but not impossible.
As to learning Russian..... I would have to go to the tourist areas for that. My world is still Vietnamese..... for the moment

Owee58

Maybe that's where your problem lay, there was talk of not being allowed a Work Permit on a VEC, ( why not??? ), I haven't been able to clarify this.

His problem is that he needs to become a Russian and give up drinking

Happy8888 wrote:

His problem is that he needs to become a Russian and give up drinking

What!!!! You can't be a Russian without drinking, ( it help when becoming obnoxious ).

Wodka rules (and f#cks a nation up ) or federation , or whatever they are or were

bluenz wrote:

Maybe that's where your problem lay, there was talk of not being allowed a Work Permit on a VEC, ( why not??? ), I haven't been able to clarify this.

No I am afraid....It was unrelated.... but, If you have the permit, there is no need for the VEC. I discussed the Visa exemption with the head of immigration to the point of us arguing. To me it was absolutely absurd to have an exemption that needed renewal every 3 months. even though I did not mind paying the 10 dollars every 3 months. I was with my Vietnamese wife and nephew policeman when he showed and explained to them that the VEC could no longer be renewed and helped me reside here by issuing the other "family classification visas". I have to say it was a royal pain. Getting the work permit was totally unrelated. If you wish, I can show you the mess inside my passport. I believe the non renewal rule for the VEC started about 3 years past..... Again... I think anyone renewing it ias either very lucky or have spouses that "know" somebody.

NYET!!!!  Only beers........ No Vodka

Owee wrote:
bluenz wrote:

No I am afraid....It was unrelated.... but, If you have the permit, there is no need for the VEC. I discussed the Visa exemption with the head of immigration to the point of us arguing. To me it was absolutely absurd to have an exemption that needed renewal every 3 months. even though I did not mind paying the 10 dollars every 3 months. I was with my Vietnamese wife and nephew policeman when he showed and explained to them that the VEC could no longer be renewed and helped me reside here by issuing the other "family classification visas". I have to say it was a royal pain. Getting the work permit was totally unrelated. If you wish, I can show you the mess inside my passport. I believe the non renewal rule for the VEC started about 3 years past..... Again... I think anyone renewing it ias either very lucky or have spouses that "know" somebody.

NYET!!!!  Only beers........ No Vodka

I was thinking more of already having a VEC and then applying for a Work Visa.   It sounds like just a Nha Trang problem, There are plenty of other members on this site who have no problems renewing their VEC's. I can see how frustrating that would have been though. PS I wish my wife did know people, then I wouldn't have wasted that 2 mil on my PR application in 2010.

Along those same lines, my wife and I both have VEC's. We just renewed them for another 5 years and have never had any problems with the 90 day extensions. Been here since 2007 and haven't left Vietnam the whole time. Last year I posted some info here on the blog about the VEC program. The reason it was implemented and what it has now evolved to. I tried to go through some of my posts and find it but there are too many to search. If anybody has the time to find it and re-post it please be my guest. It does have some useful information.

Well there you go then. I guess in some jurisdictions VEC's are renewable and in some not..... Seems like an issue that remains unresolved. I will say no more on it. hopefully all of you that are VEC'c will continue to have no issues.

Owee58

Budman1 wrote:

Along those same lines, my wife and I both have VEC's. We just renewed them for another 5 years and have never had any problems with the 90 day extensions. Been here since 2007 and haven't left Vietnam the whole time. Last year I posted some info here on the blog about the VEC program. The reason it was implemented and what it has now evolved to. I tried to go through some of my posts and find it but there are too many to search. If anybody has the time to find it and re-post it please be my guest. It does have some useful information.

A lot of things changed around Feb this year, especially  work permit requirements, I'll try and find some new info and post it soon.

Russia is fuelled by vodka as is aeroflot

Russia is fuelled by vodka as is aeroflot

Owee wrote:

Owee58

Not doubting you one bit, but you are the first person I have heard of that couldn't renew their VEC here in Vietnam. I know several that here in Dong Nai that have been doing it for years. Perhaps Dong Nai province looks at it differently than Nha Trang.