American seeking teaching positions in Lyon - visa dilemmas

Hello everyone,
Im an American living in Lyon for nearly two years and due to sudden and unforeseen circumstances (French administrative red tape- the University where I work can no longer sponsor visas for Non EU citizens) I can only continue working for my current employer teaching English at a private university if I can find a primary employer willing to sponsor a visa. I could also be interested in working for a new institution in general.

It is my hope to remain in a University setting as a lectrice or an instructor, but I am open to other possibilities. I have a BA in French and Psychology and have 4 years of studies at the doctoral level in Education(in progress), 3 years of teaching at the University level, as well as various experiences in primary and secondary education both abroad and in the United States.
If you know of anything that could be a good fit, I would love to hear from you as I really am hoping to continue working in Lyon

Thank you in advance!
-Shannon Hutcheson

Perhaps you can contact the chamber of commerce in Lyon or resources or see if the FACC (French American Chamber of Commerce) can sponsor you. All you need in theory is a contract and then the sponsorship shouldn't be too hard to find. Perhaps Alliance Française or the US Embassy can give you some suggestions for visa sponsors or private institutions as well. I'm personally looking into bilingual schools  if that helps. You have tons of teaching experience and I imagine your French is pretty good at this point so I'm sure you'll find something. Best of luck with your search!

Hey!

Thanks for your response! I'll definitely look into the sponsorship that the chamber of commerce  can possibly offer.
I was hoping to renew my current visa at the prefecture in france  instead of starting a new  work visa, but the days are counting down so I think I'll have to renew from the United States! Good luck to you in your search as well--sure something will work out as long as you're persistent !

Hi Shannon,

My name is Mary Magana. I am currently living in Oakland, CA. I had a roommate who had just moved back home to Voiron. He had told me that the nearest big town to Voiron is Lyon.

I had read your posts in regard to teaching out there in Lyon. I am a substitute teacher with the Oakland Unified School District. I would like to see about living out there in Lyon and teaching. If you are interested and you have the time, I would love to hear about your experiences regarding obtaining work teaching in Lyon.

[moderated: please use your pm]

I wish you well in obtaining the sponsorship with the chamber of commerce in Lyon.

Sincerely,

Mary Magana

Shannon,
Before you make the big leap, make SURE you have something lined up. You are a different story as you are an authentic teacher. Most of the americans that come here think just because they are a native that they can teach, but sadly that is not the case. I teach in Lyon, but will tell you that it is incredibly challenging to find a teaching post as there is stiff competition and few posts. It really depends on how badly you want to live here. If you sincerely want the move then you will find work, but it will take time, patience, and more patience and good contacts. Best of luck to you.

Erich
americanlivinginlyon.wordpess.com