UAE Visa types

29 July 2008 - New visa rules start

29 July 2008 - New visa rules apply from 07:30 this morning (as opposed to 01 August 2008 as previously stated). Conflicting reports in the press, based on conflicting statements from various officials, has left everyone confused. If you're from one of the 33 free-visa-on-arrival countries, you'll probably have an easier time of it. Bring money for visa fees, patience, and politeness, and assume visa rules will be implemented randomly depending on the mood of the official you're dealing with at the entry point or visa office. Some of the more common visa questions follow (there are no definitive answers yet, just guesses, since even the authorities keep saying different things):

Countries that were previously allowed a visa on arrival (see list below) for free will probably still get that, but it might be 30 days instead of 60 days. Or, your passport is stamped 30 days but it's still valid for 60 days.
Visa runs might still be allowed, but may be restricted to nationals of the free-visa-on-arrival nationalities. This conflicts with another report that visa renewals have to be done from the home country. Again, it might be a differentiation depending on nationality.
Sponsoring friends and distant relatives is unclear. It may be a variable rule depending on salary, profession, nationality, etc of sponsoring person. Or it may be that only UAE nationals can sponsor friends. Again, conflicting reports seen.
Visa delivery service to airport - 17 June 2008
Visit visas and entry permits obtained by sponsors for visitors to the UAE normally need to be delivered to the airport at least three hours before the visitor arrives (except for the ones who get a visa on arrival). Look for a DNATA or DNRD visa delivery counter at Dubai International Airport (in or near the arrivals area). From 01 July 2008, instead of delivering the visa yourself, you can pay an extra Dh40 (or Dh 60 if urgent) and have it delivered for you, according to Major General Mohammad Ahmad Al Merri, Director General of DNRD, as reported in several UAE newspapers. Saves you the trouble of an extra trip through the airport traffic jam and carpark nuisance. The service will also be available at Al Maktoum International Airport in Jebel Ali when it opens.

09 June 2008 - New visa rules from 01 August 2008
New UAE visa rules were announced. A brief summary follows. The major changes appear to be that Visit Visas cannot be renewed, they will cost 500 dhs or 1000 dhs, expats can no longer sponsor friends on visit visas, and all visitors will need to show evidence of medical insurance. Nationalities of countries that at present can receive a free visit visa on arrival will continue to be able to do that according to reports on 09 June 2008. Conflicting information seen in some reports of the new visa rules. See the UAE visa table for a list of visa types summarised.

Visit Visa for 30 days

To obtain a UAE visit visa you'll need evidence of medical insurance, and a 1000 dhs deposit (some nationalities may be exempt). Cost of visit visa will be 500 dhs in any emirate. Visit visa validity will be 30 days and cannot be renewed. UAE non-Emirati residents will no longer be able to sponsor friends, only spouse or first-degree relatives, although there was a report in Xpress 25 September 2008 that a DNRD official said residents on salaries greater than 10,000 dhs/month could sponsor friends for a visit visa.

GCC residents might be able to obtain a visit visa for 100 dhs, with 500 dhs fee for one renewal. GCC nationals might be able to bring visitors with them under the same conditions, except renewal fee is only 200 dhs.

Visit Visa for 60 days - free for some nationalities

The new visa rules in June 2008 continued the free UAE visas on arrival for some nationalities but length of stay was randomly 30 days or 60 days until January 2009 when the period was set to 30 days, even if the stamp said 60 days.

Visit Visa for 90 days

Same conditions as 30 day visa but cost is 1000 dhs.

Other visit visas (all need 1000 dhs deposit)

Student visit visa UAE costs 1000 dhs, valid 60 days, person must be registered at a UAE university (for students coming to enrol in short course - long-term students should already have a residence visa). Can be renewed twice for 500 dhs.
Conference or Exhibition Visit Visa costs 100 dhs, valid for 30 days. Not renewable.
Medical Visit Visa costs 1000 dhs, valid 90 days, renewable for another 90 days for 500 dhs.
Tourist Visa

Valid for 30 days, costs 100 dhs + 10 dhs delivery fee, can only be obtained by hotels or tour operators. A deposit of 1000 dhs is needed. Can be renewed once.

Multi entry visa valid 180 days (or 6 months)

See the Dubai multiple entry visa information. Length of stay is 14 days per visit. Anyone can apply?
Other types of visas

Investor Visa for expats who invest a minimum of AED 70,000 share capital in a business partnership with a UAE national. Valid for 3 years, visa fee is 300 dhs.
Mission Visa (for temporary work in the UAE). Valid 90 days, costs 200 dhs, not renewable. Note that 90 days is not the same as 3 months. Other reports are saying the Mission Visa is valid 90 days for 600 dhs, can be renewed once for another 90 days with renewal fee 1200 dhs, but that may be old information, or conflicting information.
Parent Visa (name might not be correct). UAE residents can sponsor parents for 1 year renewable (need special permission from the FNRD). Refundable deposit of 5000 dhs (per parent) and visa fees 100 dhs.

Transit Visa costs 100 dhs, valid 96 hours (or 14 days according to some reports). Only issued if evidence of outbound flight shown.

UAE Embassies and Consulates can issue free visit visas if you're important enough.

Mission Visa - 90 to 180 days

Amer Service Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department
30 March 2007 - A service where residents of the UAE can enquire, complain, or make suggestions 24 hours a day. Tel 800-5111 (toll-free in the UAE), fax +971-4-3981177, email [email protected] as reported in Gulf News, email [email protected]. See also Amer Service discussion.

Medical exemption for expiration of residency visa
26 January 2007 - expat students/children and those on long term medical care might be granted multiple entry visas for the UAE to get around the clause where residency visas expire if the holder is out of the UAE for more than six months. DG of Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department was quoted in the Gulf News.

Procedure for applying for a visa in Dubai

Like most things in Dubai and UAE involving bureaucracy, go to the relevant department with lots of paper (all the documents requested and any others you can think of), your passport and a copy, more money than you think you need, a bottle of water (or coins to buy one), and a book to read. Wait in queues, learn about what extra documents you need, go home to get them and return the next day.
Get forms, pay fees, and pay for typing at the typing office next to the bank (Commercial Bank of Dubai) at the main entrance of the Immigration Department - this is for Dubai. Other emirates may or may not have similar procedures.
DNRD main office location in Dubai and opening times
The DNRD (Department of Naturalization and Residence, Dubai), is near the Trade Center roundabout next to the Bur Dubai Traffic Police Department there. Also called the Immigration Department or Immigration Building. Parking is difficult to impossible but across the Trade Center road is Zabeel Park with more parking (although crossing the road is a bit of an adventure). See the DNRD location map.
DNRD opening hours are 0730 - 2000 (7:30am - 8pm) Sundays to Thursdays for most services. Afternoons are less busy. Closed on Fridays and Saturdays. Sometimes open on holidays for limited hours.

Israel - Israeli stamps in your passport

Israeli stamp in passport when entering Dubai - despite what you might hear or read, it shouldn't normally be a problem.
Visas are not normally issued to Israeli passport holders though.

Work Permits for Dubai

A work permit is not the same as a residency visa. The residency visa allows you to live in Dubai and the UAE for a period of time (usually 3 years). To work in Dubai, you also need to apply for a work permit or labor card. Usually the company you work for will arrange both work permits and residency visas for you and your family, and will explain to you what documents you need. If you're setting up your own business, you'll have to arrange the applications yourself. If you're in Dubai Media City, Dubai Internet City, Dubai Knowledge Village, or one of the other Free Zones, then you should be able to get everything arranged easily and quickly.

Some companies are efficient at arranging work permits and residency visas, others are more tardy and can take months or longer. It can also depend on the relationship the company has with the respective government departments.

Employment Visa - 30 days

An employment visa is issued to visitors who have arranged employment before coming to Dubai. It allows you to enter the country once and is valid for 30 days, during which time your company should complete processing of your work permit and residency visa. If you are from a country which can obtain a visit visa on arrival in Dubai, your company may ask you to enter this way instead but note that a visit visa does not allow you to work - the company should still obtain an employment visa or have your work permit ready.

Working on a Visit Visa or without a Work Permit

It is quite common for people to work in Dubai on a visit visa - and sometimes for many months, especially if a company wants to avoid the hassle and cost of processing a visa while a worker is on probation. The authorities occasionally crack down on this and deport people working without visas (with a visit to the police departure lounge on the way).

Another trap some people fall into is to state a profession on the visa different to what they really do. Small discrepancies are unlikely to be a problem eg Teacher vs Lecturer but claiming to be a Businessman is usually a red flag if you dress like a laborer and don't have any business cards with you, as some have found out - the consequence can be deportation and blacklisting.

In September 2007 it was reported that the Ministry of Labour was drawing up new rules that would mean those people found working on a visit visa would get a life ban for the UAE, and their employer would get a 50,000 dh fine.

Residency Visas - 3 years (or 1 year)

See Dubai residency visa information. Note that you cannot open a bank account, register a car, get a telephone connected, and so on until you have a residency visa or permit.

Usually residents will be sponsored by their employer (or an employed member of their family). The sponsor will normally make the visa arrangements and explain to you what documents you need. For those employed from overseas, the employer is responsible for all costs associated with obtaining your work permit (or labour card) and residency visa.

Expats with a residence visa and a job can sponsor their spouse and children - up to the age of 16 for sons, or 18 if a student, and daughters who are unmarried. See the UAE family sponsorship information for more details.
Sponsoring mother or father requires special permission, sponsoring brother or sister also. See UAE mother father visa information.

Residency Visas with property purchases

- 3 years 6 months renewable - New Dubai property visas have been announced - valid for 6 months and available to all UAE property owners, with a number of restrictions. Previous Dubai property visa information moved to separate page.
Student resident visas in Dubai are available through the institute where a student is studying. A student resident visa is renewable annually and normally only issued to full-time students. Not all UAE universities and colleges arrange visas, check before enrolling.

Visit visas and visitor entry permits for the UAE

Special Mission Entry Visa (14 days) information moved to transit visa page.

Tourist Visa - 30 days non-renewable - see the UAE tourist visa information.

Visit Visas UAE

Update after new visa rules from 29 July 2008: 30 day visa is AED 500 (one renewal possible), 90 day visit visa is AED 1000. Conflicting information seen for visa runs (visa renewals by exiting and re-entering the UAE on the same day). It appears that the free visit visa on arrival nationalities can still do visa runs as before, but other nationalities must leave the country for at least a month.

Visit Visa on arrival - 30/60/90 days - Information moved to free visa on arrival nationalities.
Visit Visa UAE for family members pre-arranged - 60 days. Update after new Dubai visa rules: Length of stay is 30 days or 90 days. Updated information here: Dubai visit visa and sponsor relative UAE visa.

Friends visit visas can still be issued according to one report - see the UAE visit visa for friend topic.
Visit Visa expiry / renewal - 30/60 days. Update after new rules 28 July 2008: You can only renew a 30 day visit visa once within the UAE. The new visa rules say after expiry of your visa, you must leave the country for a month (might not apply for visit visa on arrival nationalities), and you are supposed to return to your home country (according to some officials, other officials you can go anywhere which sounds like the more sensible scenario).
See the visit visa renewal in Dubai page - includes details of road trip from Dubai to Oman via Hatta for renewing visit visas.
Business Visas for Dubai and the UAE (to be updated)

Investor Visa

Investors who invest in a local UAE company can obtain an entry permit for work. Fees are about AED 10,000 to AED 40,000. See the DNRD site for more details.
This may have changed in January 2006 to 300 dhs fees but with a minimum investment of 70,000 dhs. The DNRD site doesn't specify a minimum.

Multiple Entry Visa - 6 months

Information moved to UAE multi-entry visas page.

Applications for permits can be made online at eform.ae - you'll need to register first. Payment can be made with eDirham, credit card or direct debit according to them.

Most of these sources would be a primary reference for many visitors and expats, but are not always up-to-date. It's a rare thing if they all consistently provide the same information about visas. Even phoning the Ministry of Labour and/or the DNRD or other UAE NRD can result in inconsistent information. Any other source usually bases their information on one of these.

dubaifaqs.com/visa-dubai.php

hi there,

I'm on husband's visa but my passport is not stamped yet because i failed the med test last march. I am HBV passive carrier. There is a new about certain people will not be given the test on HBV and we're waiting for the implementation. I'm already overstaying for a couple of months. Do you know how much is the fine for overstaying? When we went to the immigration before, someone told us that its AED 10 everyday but in the typing, a man said its AED 25.

If ever the new law about HBV will be implemented, will i be allowed to just pay the fine for overstaying and stamp my passport with residence, or do I need to leave the country?

If I leave the country, can my husband apply another husband's visa for me?

Thank you very much. Your answers to my questions will be much appreciated.

Stresswife

stiff wrote:

...If ever the new law about HBV will be implemented, will i be allowed to just pay the fine for overstaying and stamp my passport with residence, or do I need to leave the country?
If I leave the country, can my husband apply another husband's visa for me?... Your answers to my questions will be much appreciated...

Hi Stresswife,
Did you know that there is a special HBV infection on these questions? Maybe you should post there to receive appropriate answers?
Cheers
Arlette

Did ABu Dhabi stop giving visit visa to the people(family such as brothers, sisters) from (Bangladesh, India, Nepal)??

Any one knows the latests?

the law is very dynamic here:( keeps changing everyday at times! so best is always to check with the immigration office for latest updates:(

I am looking for small partnership in business, expected investment is 50000 to 100000 Dirhams. If any one have bright idea for profitable bussiness in dubai or abu dhabi then please reply me at:

[email protected]

Hello desert_decent, welcome on board :)
However you are a bit :offtopic: here and maybe you might want to either start a new topic in United Arab Emirates forum or even post an ad in UAE's classifieds.
Thanks and good luck
Arlette

Please log on to [Moderated - No free adverts] say hello

hey guys in UAE how are you?I just have a few questions in mind.I am basically in kuwait and I would like to visit UAE without approaching airline help through Air arabia or Etihad or emirates.I want to know how we can get on arrival visa status since i am in a GCC country.Are there any criteria for working people from kuwait or other countries to visit UAE?

THE UAE embassy in kuwait does not give any visit visas and i enquired that.

What is the fee of a 10 day visa?

thanks looking forward to your responses

Hi guys..

Stresswife how long does it take to fix ur Visa from ur husband?..

Guys if you can help me know how long can a husband visa to be process and to be approve?..my lil gurl really misses her dad..

Anyone!?

hi guys! I am new here. I just want to ask, how long does it usually takes to process the employment visa and/or visit visa.

Thanks!

Hi all,
This is my first participation in this wonderful blog site :).

Currently, I'm living and working in Saudi Arabia and I'm negotiating a job offer with a foreign company in UAE :D.

Can my wife who is Saudi National (from GCC countries which doesn't require visa to stay in UAE for any purpose) to sponsor me there? and is it eligible way for me to work under my wife's sponsorship for this foreign employer (at least for the probation period)?

Please assist me in this case.
BR,

Hi ALL,

actually i am a new here in Dubai and i want to make a friends here because i think i am so lonely here :( but i think i will make a good friends in this country to doing more something together and fun and know another cultural

Hi there, The info on visa's for Dubai seems to be the regulations of 2008. Is this correct or there have been new changes made to apply from now on??

anas_red wrote:

Hi all,
This is my first participation in this wonderful blog site :).

Currently, I'm living and working in Saudi Arabia and I'm negotiating a job offer with a foreign company in UAE :D.

Can my wife who is Saudi National (from GCC countries which doesn't require visa to stay in UAE for any purpose) to sponsor me there? and is it eligible way for me to work under my wife's sponsorship for this foreign employer (at least for the probation period)?

Please assist me in this case.
BR,

No, only an Emirati national or a resident visa holder can act as sponsor. Other GCC nationals don't count.

Hi All!!

I just wanna asked if if you guys have any updates with regards to VISA rules here in UAE (AUH particularly)

Thank you so much and have a nice day to all...:)

Regards,
Ineng

Updates with regards to what?

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean updates  with regards to visa rules (i.e., the days of validity, and expenses to incur in applying visa)..:)

Thanks...

Regards,
Ineng

I suggest that you check with your PRO....but I'm not aware of any changes within the last 12 months at least.

incredible information
well done all :up::top:

hi guy, my name is Alfred Robinson, i am a nigerian but i base in Cape Verde Island, please i wish to come to dubai this season, i am a footballer, please i need a connection on how to get a visa, any one who has the idea can assist me, thanks and God bless you all.. wonderful blogs..

Google is your friend

Is it maid and driver visa can be availed easily now in Dubai? any new rule for this.

a quick one..!
can somebody tell me about the visa regulations for expats newborn babies.
i mean my newborn baby has to exit permanently from abu dhabi and she doesnt have residence visa yet. she's just 60 days old so do i need to proceed for a proper paper work to get her residence visa or there is some other way to get her out of abu dhabi. She just have birth certificate and her passport. we are going to leave in a week time will apreciate a quick info..

Hey Mila_777!
Thanks for the information! :)

thanx for all these informations ;-)

:top:

From a news website it seems that

"Abu Dhabi appears to have relaxed rules stipulating expatriates seeking to bring in their families must submit a tenancy contract in their name."

... another twist in ever changing dynamic rule...

Hi all,

I have read your posts and I have a questions...can you tell me please, how many days are necessary for receive a work visa? and this after your employer sent the documents!
I'm asking you this because I'm waiting and waiting my work visa for 3 weeks and didn't show up until now and I'm wondering why?

Thank you in advance!

I wish you a great day!

hi Cklaudia,
check General Directorate of Residence and Foreigners Affair website
http://www.abudhabi.ae/egovPoolPortal_W … &did=11308

(moderated: no free ads please + recommend this company in the business directory)

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice. My husband has been offered a wonderful work opportunity in Abu Dhabi and his company will organise visas for him and our family (we have two little girls) My guestion is, I will continue to work for my current Dutch company from home, invoicing them monthly for consulting services. Do I need an employment visa or can I work under my husband's visa?

Regards
Christel

Well hello everyone. I was reading through the thread and it  seems many of you have the same question. How long does it take!  Although the process is different fdepending on yo9ur country, plan on it taking at least a few months. My husband's work visa took over two months and my dependants visa is still in progress.  WE started it in October of last year. IN fact we went to immigration today to get my paperwork for the medical exam and emirate ID and spent the ehtire day being shuffled from one office to another only to have them say  it is still not ready. ANd this is an expedited visa (we paid extra for same day  processing) .When we do get that I still need to get my medical testing and appy for an ID before they will stamp  it.  TAlso don't be shocked when the requirements change as it happens daily so make sure you ask every step of the way before you go wait in line any where what you need to bring.   

SOmething I learned today was that our marriage certificate needed to be stamped by the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs and NOT the embassy before it could be legally translated.  YOu need this to start the dependancy visa, and it cannot be "typed" at just any typing center, it must be a legal translation agency. In Abu Dhabi there are several located downtown on Hamdan Street....of course it's no where near the immigration department but I digress...  :)

I just  thought I would share since it is fresh in my mind so that hopefully you can all avoid the mess I had today! :) We are getting there but it does take time and lots of patience!

Hi everyone,

I intend to come to Dubai and search for a suitable position, but I have one problem to be solved.
Maybe someone knows the best way to deal with the issue...
So, I have 3 years residency visa in my passport(not valid for use anymore because left U.A.E. more than 6 months ago), I can't submit a request for visit visa since have my resident visa not cancelled
I know that my employer must cancel my visa, but the company doesn't exist anymore and left some dues to pay....
As for me I have no ban or any debts left

Let me know how to clear my file from system so that to be able to get new visa/job....

All recommendations would be greatly appreciated guys!!!

hello everyone i am from sweden and wonder if i need to apply for visa to.dubai or if i get.it on the airport...?

fishermansfriend wrote:

hello everyone i am from sweden and wonder if i need to apply for visa to.dubai or if i get.it on the airport...?

Mate it depends on "visa type". If you are looking forward to move to Dubai you need "PR" Permanent Residency which is known in terms of "Work Visa, Investor Visa, Business Visa". And if you wanna come to Dubai for less than 90 days, you don't need visa as you are already from a country who is a member of European union.

More Details: dnrd.ae/en/

Cheers
SyedBilal

does turkish need visa to uae? 

many thanks buddies

Hi talal , yes Turkey need visa to enter UAE , Here is the list of countries who no need visa
Eligible countriesAustralia
Andorra
Austria
Brunei
Belgium
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hong Kong 
Iceland
Ireland 
Italy
Japan
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg 
Malaysia
Monaco
Netherlands
New Zealand Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Singapore
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States of America
The Vatican

Hi
Better to be under husband visa,where you need only medical test to get it. But for employment visa ,you need emplyment contract.

Does my property have to be worth over a certain price before I can get a residence visa? and much is it?   cheers bob