Advice from british people living in Egypt

hello,

i need your advice

Next year i am going to move to london to study master in clinical neuroscience at  kings college london university

i have problem to choose suitable bank which can provide to me something like a common bank account to be easily treated if i am in uk or in Egypt
Now banks donot accept to change egyptian pounds to sterling pounds and before they do a transfer they ask me to bring foreign currency from exchange offices first which sell foreign currnecy in higher price than the official price
i remember when it was 11,65 le to 1 GBP   i bought it from exchange office at price of 12,30 le for 1 GBP and it was the cheapest between all exchange offices in doki and downtown..
so how can i change money from Egyptian pounds to GBP  avoiding exchange offices?
or how can i do easy transfer?
whats the best bank visa?
if i will stay long time in uk which is what i expect  , will it be better to open an account there from the start?
does HSPC offer anything like a common account between uk and Egypt?  they do something like expat accounts but i donot get the idea completely.

i would like to hear from you

Tarek

What exactly do you need that account for? If its only to withdraw money you can do so from your egyptian account. Call your bank to ask abouts limits and prices. its not expensive and official rates are applied. Also they can exchange some amount in your bank if you show them your ticket.

Good luck and have fun in London!

Caty

P.s. neuroscience, huh? Interesting!

P.p.s. I am not british, I hope you would accept my humble opinion anyway... ;)

I dont think there is any such thing as a common account.

you can do the above but I am not sure there is a time limit for thus (that you can only do this for so Long) - also every withdrawal has a charge.
I would take an Egyptian credit card and use that.

I know over the last few years opening a bank account in the uk has got more and more difficult also

maybe rather than asking on here - the egypt form. You may be better seeing if there any egyptians on the uk forum and asking the question.
or go and ask yourself in an international bank such as hsbc or barclays.

Or it may be better for your family to send you money on a monthly basis via western union - but I don't know that that would be very convenient, and use your credit card for extras / extravagancies!!

You can open a student account once you are in the UK and you have all your immigration docs in order. You do need a residence permit to open an account and have a strong reason for doing so.

A master degree will last 1, maximum 2 years. What is the point of opening an account in the UK?
Do you know that money going through a UK account are taxable? You can withdraw money from your Egyptian bank card in the UK.

You can open a foreign currency account with HSBC, Barclay and CIB in Egypt, they will exchange money for you.

By the way, you say in your profile that you are going to study at the University of Edinburgh. That is in Scotland, not London, England. Lol. UK unis offer their international students assistance. Contact the int. students affairs and they will tell you how to open a student account. They often have conventions with a partner bank.

"King's offers dedicated student advice to international students offering guidance on not only visa and immigration matters but also finance, working in the UK and any other queries about living in the UK."

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/internati … pport.aspx

So, the best contact point is the uni. If you have enrolled at Kings, why not checking their websites?!

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/service … /bank.aspx

"Banking in the UK"

Opening a bank account can, depending on the circumstances, be a complicated process for both home and international students. The Student Advice and International Student Support Service will assist all students with banking queries and concerns and The Compass provide letters for students to open an account

For international students, opening a UK bank account is by far the safest and most effective way of managing money. The UK has a plethora of high street and online banking services and so it is advisable to always shop around. Please refer to our guidance below entitled Opening a UK Bank Account. You can also download information from the British Banking Association information.

All students are encouraged to contact a Student Adviser if you are finding banking terms confusing or if you are experiencing difficulties managing money. You may also find our money doctors pages a helpful resource.

Btw - he doesn't say he's going to edinburgh - he's going to London univwrsity.
there are more than 1 kings college in the uk

I specified that, in his PROFILE, he stated that will be studying at the University of Edinburgh.

"Hello, i am Tarek from Egypt, cairo maadi i work doctor in neurosurgery, i am looking forward moving to UK where i do my master at Edinburgh university........... https://www.facebook.com/tarek.mostafa.75491 (skype : tarek_tme) welcome to everyone its great to meet people from everywhere i love diving,sailing, relaxing in sun at beach :-)"

Maybe they wouldnt have him!
or he changed the uni he applied to.
or it was changed when he went through clearing.

Caty in Cairo wrote:

What exactly do you need that account for? If its only to withdraw money you can do so from your egyptian account. Call your bank to ask abouts limits and prices. its not expensive and official rates are applied. Also they can exchange some amount in your bank if you show them your ticket.

Good luck and have fun in London!

Caty

P.s. neuroscience, huh? Interesting!

P.p.s. I am not british, I hope you would accept my humble opinion anyway... ;)

hi caty :-) your opinion is so welcome ofcourse :)
so you prefer to keep my Egyptian bank account :-) i will visit HSPC here in cairo to see their options
neurosciences are interesting ofcourse,it will be part of academic progress beside clinical progress as doctor in neurosurgery

Tarek

biffy wrote:

I dont think there is any such thing as a common account.

you can do the above but I am not sure there is a time limit for thus (that you can only do this for so Long) - also every withdrawal has a charge.
I would take an Egyptian credit card and use that.

I know over the last few years opening a bank account in the uk has got more and more difficult also

maybe rather than asking on here - the egypt form. You may be better seeing if there any egyptians on the uk forum and asking the question.
or go and ask yourself in an international bank such as hsbc or barclays.

Or it may be better for your family to send you money on a monthly basis via western union - but I don't know that that would be very convenient, and use your credit card for extras / extravagancies!!

Thanks very much  biffy :)

erikabrio wrote:

You can open a student account once you are in the UK and you have all your immigration docs in order. You do need a residence permit to open an account and have a strong reason for doing so.

A master degree will last 1, maximum 2 years. What is the point of opening an account in the UK?
Do you know that money going through a UK account are taxable? You can withdraw money from your Egyptian bank card in the UK.

You can open a foreign currency account with HSBC, Barclay and CIB in Egypt, they will exchange money for you.

By the way, you say in your profile that you are going to study at the University of Edinburgh. That is in Scotland, not London, England. Lol. UK unis offer their international students assistance. Contact the int. students affairs and they will tell you how to open a student account. They often have conventions with a partner bank.

"Kings offers dedicated student advice to international students offering guidance on not only visa and immigration matters but also finance, working in the UK and any other queries about living in the UK."

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/internati … pport.aspx

So, the best contact point is the uni. If you have enrolled at Kings, why not checking their websites?!

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/service … /bank.aspx

"Banking in the UK"

Opening a bank account can, depending on the circumstances, be a complicated process for both home and international students. The Student Advice and International Student Support Service will assist all students with banking queries and concerns and The Compass provide letters for students to open an account

For international students, opening a UK bank account is by far the safest and most effective way of managing money. The UK has a plethora of high street and online banking services and so it is advisable to always shop around. Please refer to our guidance below entitled Opening a UK Bank Account. You can also download information from the British Banking Association information.

All students are encouraged to contact a Student Adviser if you are finding banking terms confusing or if you are experiencing difficulties managing money. You may also find our money doctors pages a helpful resource.

Edinburgh is  in scotland not England   :D   are you sure
hehehehehe

i have been already studying part time master in surgicsl sciences at Edinburgh university since 2011 and this year is the 3rd and last year
thats why i sad in my profile  (i do) which is a present not a future
but it is a part time master and i didnot move yet to uk but as expat forum here my intention is to move to uk..

why i expect to stay more than master time at kings college which is about one year
because i have only one exam (1of 3)to finish  my membership diploma at royal college of surgeons of England and to become fully registered doctor at general medical council of uk  -as my primary medical qualification was egyptian -after that i can apply for doctors jobs there.beside i have good clinical experience in neurosurgery and master of surgical sciences from Edinburgh and as i expect i will have master at clinical neuroscience from kings college and i am already international member of both european and british neurological surgeons association....i need to work about 3 years in neurosurgery in uk to be eligible to apply for FRCS in neurosurgery...after full time master i will not have restrictions to find job which is applied to all other overseas  (unfortunately they cancelled poststudy visa)
by the way uk has huge number of foreigner doctors but its so competitive, thats why its so important to have enough qualification and enough experience

Tarek

erikabrio wrote:

I specified that, in his PROFILE, he stated that will be studying at the University of Edinburgh.

"Hello, i am Tarek from Egypt, cairo maadi i work doctor in neurosurgery, i am looking forward moving to UK where i do my master at Edinburgh university........... https://www.facebook.com/tarek.mostafa.75491 (skype : tarek_tme) welcome to everyone its great to meet people from everywhere i love diving,sailing, relaxing in sun at beach :-)"

do is a present :)
i am already student of MSc surgical sciences  3years part time program at Edinburgh university since 9/2011

Tarek