Registering at the commune required for working?

Hello!
My question is wether you're required to have the card/national number you get after registering at the commune  in order to work and get paid?

My situation is that I am a student and until now haven't registered nor worked. Only recently I found out that I should have registered myself 1,5 years ago when I first came here and started studying (my school didn't inform me on this at all, that's why it took so long). Today I went to the commune and started the process, but I know it will take about a month for me to get the card and the national number.

The problem is that I recently got a part-time job on top of my studies. I will sign my contract and start working next week. Now I am afraid that my employer won't hire me anymore if he finds out that I haven't yet finished the registration process. So my question is if an employer will normally ask for the card/number at some point? Will I get away with not having the card/number until next month??

Thank you beforehand :)

You need your national number to get paid.

Thank you for your response. I guess I'll have to wait until I sign my contract and have a talk with my possible future employer. Maybe there's some leeway because I've started the process and will get the card in a month, plus I won't need to get paid until after my first month of working?

For the time being, I think you can get a paper (or you already have) from commune stating that you have registered and application is under processing.

For the payment, yes, as tervurener said, you must have a national number to receive any sort of income from Belgian Employment.