Personal Training AD

Hi there folks,

So I am moving to AD this Summer, and was just looking to get a feel for what the gyms are like there and if any one on-line has had any experience with personal trainers there?

Also, I am into road cycling here in Ireland-what is like in AD for road cycling, I am guessing the heat would hold a fair impact!

Anyway any insight into what exists and can be expected would be much appreciated!

Thanks a million!

P

Hi,

I know of a personal trainer that does early mornings, there are plenty out here.

My building we have a gym, as do most western expat buildings.

I'm not a massive fan off the gym but i do ride my bike. I have a mountain bike which i take along the corniche, its a cycle path 17km from one end to the other. You can also cycle around Yas Race Track on a tuesday evening, This is recommended! yasmarinacircuit.com/en/fitness/fitness-activities

The Heat - I am still out on my bike, but the heat is picking up fast. Its currently just below 40oC. Evening is the best time to ride. I don't think I'll ride through the middle of summer, but I will have to wait and see.

If you want to know anything more just let me know.

Sam

You will be fine; I have used a couple of personal trainers both well qualified and professional. I enjoy cycling along the Corniche and through the recent new cycle paths that have been introduced around the City which allows for easier access and a more varied route

If you are coming here in the summer it will take time to get used to the extreme heat and the humidity which will be sky high, just take it easy initially and you will really enjoy your time here

Thanks a million lads;

That sounds good!

In regards to the PT, it's just to have a structured programme to keep progressing etc, especially to fit it around the bit of cycling!

Yeah, I am pretty nervous about the heat, an Irish Summer is pretty much my comfort (tolerable) zone to be honest, so I will have to do a fair bit of readjustment! Certainly cannot imagine you would get much done outdoors in that heat anyway!

In regards to cycling, I currently go for 2 or 3 100-120KM spins a week here in Ireland, would you envisage this being viable in AD, or are the roads too crazy?

Thanks again for getting back to me!

P

The roads here are chaotic and the drivers have no respect for cyclists, the standard of driving is some of the worst in the world. You do see a few guys road cycling from the City up through Yas Island and back which is ok early Friday morning when the traffic is light a round trip of say 80km
I got clipped by a car a few years ago when on the road, the guy sent me flying luckily there was no other car behind him so I survived with a minor scrape. There is a big push here to improve the cyclists lot so things are getting better, there is a cycling club you could join but I don't have the details.

Cheers Paul,

Thanks a million, yeah I hear you on the chaotic driving, read a lot about it, will just have to choose the routes wisely and I suppose the timing more wisely!! Sounds like you took a rough know, I have had one or two here in Ireland, mostly down to train-tracks though!;-)

I am not due to travel for another month or two, so once I get out there I will look into joining the cycling club etc, presumably they will have plenty of advise too!!

Thanks for the advise and interest, I will catch up with you closer to my departure maybe!

Regards,
Peter