Importance of CELTA

As a teacher with almost 4 years experience, I've been considering taking a CELTA course to add on to my credentials. However, with such an expensive tag price 14,700SAR (13000 British Council + 1,700 Dar al Hikma fees (Jeddah)) I'm not sure if getting this qualification will just over qualify me in a field that doesn't employ based on what you have (not all the time of course) but many schools only look at nationality and how well a person's English accent is. With average salaries for most English teachers ranging from 6,000-7,000 SAR, I'm wondering, is CELTA worth getting while living and teaching in Saudi Arabia? How important is this degree in this country? and will it really benefit me work wise? 14,700 is a big number and although I know this is an investment for me personally speaking, I don't want to be placed in a financial loss in the end. Can anyone advise please?

Post this on www.eslcafe.com and put your flame suit on!

If you want to teach ESL at universities or language schools, a CELTA or a similar qualification is most definitely required, and there is no way you will be hired without one in the vast majority of countries, if not all.  As for salary, it depends on nationality in this amazing part of the world, but as a general rule of thumb, Western ESL instructors teaching at the tertiary level get at least 10k basic (but usually 12-14k), plus furnished housing, tickets, and insurance.