Receiving money from US companies to Bancolombia.

Hi there,
I receive a monthly transfer from Apple Corporation as copyright royalties for some mobile phone programs, that I have made by myself. In the past year, this payment has been a monthly 1000 USD, and the money always appeared on my Bancolombia savings account without a problem on the same day of the transfer every month.
However, this month I'm going to receive 41000 USD due to more sales.
I heard, the bank will retain the funds and request additional documents, if the wired amount is higher than a threshold.
I'm a temporary resident on a spousal visa, and have registered in the RUT, have my NIT.

What do I need to do to get my funds released?

Thanks in advance for help.

you have to wait that the bank request the documents.
This is mundial.
When you transfer a "big" amount  all the banks request to know from where the funds come.
So you have to show from where it comes.
For taxation I cannot answer.

regards

The money is from Apple Corporation, as they probably see it in the transfer.
What documents would prove that it's from Apple Corporation?

typically they ask for the invoice that justifies the transfer.
However bank can ask for more information.
In your case the invoice should be sufficient.

Regards

Apple needs no invoice to transfer copyright royalties.
How can i create one?

Well for business transactions
you should always have a document that justifies the money transfer.

From an accountant point of view it is considered as a "sales"
You cannot imagine that Apple will send money without  having documents that justify the payment.
At least they have document(s) on their side.
Contact them to ask them to send you the document that justifies the transfer.
Do this before the transfer is done.

regards

Yeah, I agree this could be a pain. You might want to think about having the money simply sent to a US account and then finding out from Bancolombia specifically if there would be anything that you needed to do in order to have the money transferred down here.

If there was, at least you would know ahead of time, rather than having held up. Alternatively, you could talk with the manager of here is Colombia and ask what the max they would allow you transfer in at one time would be....and then make arrangements to maybe bring the $41k down in pieces...maybe $5k or so a month for the next few months. And do it on different dates that the normal $1k transfer comes in.

Let me know how it all works out, as I am currently thinking about procedures to transfer some of my cash down here (also married a Colobiana, but I think I am further along in the process than you....I will be a permanent resident next year).

Joe

HI JRC
yes thanks for the reminder: if the money comes from your own account it is easier.
But in this case probably the US taxes that paid in US is taxable in US.

Anyway I also am interested to know future developments of this case.

Thanks and regards

Hi.  We've been building a house here and needed funds transfered from the USA.  Small amounts are fine; however, over a couple thousand and Bancolombia always wants my husband to go into the bank in person and talk to the manager.  We have had to give the bank copies of our current tax returns, income statements, and US bank statements, as well as answer questions about the origin of our money (which is all legally earned, of course).  If you have anything in writing from Apple or the payment source, it would probably be helpful to have a copy for the bank. Also, the bank  won't accept more than $10K per month transferred to our account in Colombia. It's been a royal pain for us.  When family/friends come to visit, we have them bring the $2,500 each family is allowed to bring in cash.

Hi,
I called the bank, and they told me, I'll need to fill in Form 5 in the bank, when the transfer arrives to Colombia.
This is needed above 7000USD. They also told me I can opt for automatic Form 5, but then I won't be able to negotiate the exchange rate every time I get a transfer.
And yes, the bank might request documents, but one can only know which ones when the transfer arrives.

As for Apple Corporation I can print a contract between me and Apple, but that doesn't contain a signature from them. The contract is put in place just by clicking "Agree" online and filling in bank details.

Siol, you can bring 10K across the border in cash at a time.
I didn't know about the 10K bank transfer limit. Maybe it's just your bank. Can anybody confirm this limit? From the phone conversation it didn't feel like there is such a low monthly limit.

Not sure if Colombia itself has any specific limit on foreign money (or even on their pesos) that can be brought in at any on time, but for the US, you are allowed to take up to $9,999 in or out without additional interference and the filling out of tax forms and other documents.

Well all these posts clearly show that you have to discuss with your bank and you have to know what are the limits.
I think all this is negotiable.
Imagine you come to invest 5000000 USd in Colombia,
if you inform and negotiate before sending the M, sure it will be possible.
As well, you can think to open another bank account in another bank in the name of your wife and negotiate before opening it.
All the Colombian do not have the same rules.
Citi Bank is one bank that manages accounts in Colombia and US at the same time.
Possibly this could be easier with them.

Regards

The transfer arrived, and appeared under "giros recibidos". I went to the bank, and they told me, they need signed documents. I contacted Apple to get one, and waiting for their replay.
On the other hand it's possible to ask for reversing a transaction.

Another issue, I tried to identify myself with my passport, but the assessor wasn't able to locate my records.
He said, I can't do any operation without my cedula.
If we decide to leave Colombia for good, I won't be able to access my funds in the account, if I can't renew the cedula any more.

Yes
all transactions with banks have to be done with "cedulas" (Colombian ID Card)
Well you can keep access to your bank accounts while the cedula is valid.

I don't know your personal situation:
Are you US nationality?
Did you marry a Colombian lady?
In this case fo you have children?
Do you have a company in COlombia?
and so on...

All this decides if you are eligible to a business visa (not turistic).
For example if you are married to a Colombian lady and you get a child with her you can get an indefinite visa for Colombia.
With a such visa you can get a cedule, ... if you are resident in Colombia.
But of course even if you leave COlombia you can keep a small apartment in Colombia in a small city (less expensive).
It depends of your interests.

Regards

Paula