Other career opportunities than teaching English?

If I move to Mexico in the future, I would like to plan out some career prospects.  The obvious opportunity is teaching English.  What other opportunities are available to Americans there?  Where can I find them?  Is it pretty much like non-US citizens here, that they can work in any job as long as they are sponsored?

Thanks,
Liam Hickey

The general rule is that if a Mexican can do the job, then you cannot.  Here in Cancun the main jobs for foreigners are in time share and teaching English.  Jobs in social media and marketing are starting to pop up (blogging, Twitter, Facebook, etc), but they are still few and far between.  Most companies will still hire Mexicans for these jobs, though many realize the value of having a native speaker in the role.  You might also find work as a copy editor, the online world of Mexico is growing. (I taught English for five years and have been working in social media for almost a year now). Obviously my experience is in a touristy city which has a demand for English writers.

Most of my friends here work online with their own businesses.  Their businesses are based outside of Mexico as are their bank accounts so they are granted "rentista" FM3's (you have to prove an income of 10000 pesos a month from outside Mexico).

Hi, My name is Maria and am looking to move to Mexico.  I have been in banking for 15 years and am also very familiar with medical billing.  Is that something that can be done online from Mexico as you mentioned you have friends that work outside of Mexico but do they live in Mexico?  What is FM3?

Please help am trying to gather as much information as possible since I would like to move within the next 6 months.

If you are fully bilingual, you might be able to find work in banking in an area such as where I live that has many English-speaking expatriates but as another poster on this forum pointed out--you have to bring something unique to the table. If a Mexican can do it, you will not be permitted to work. Many folks do real estate around here but I do not know how they get a work permit (or if they are even working legally). I am retired so it has not been an issue for me but several people around here hustle a living from the expatriates as guides, advisers (about moving here), or entertainers. These folks are probably self-employed and I assume have appropriate visas.

Visas here are classified as tourist, FM3, and FM2. Each has different requirements and restrictions. This information is generally available on a Mexican Consulate site or other advisory web boards that you can Google. Try googling Ajijiclaw. This is my lawyer's website.

In a few years I will retire on a sail boat. I love Mexico, and I am looking at it very seriously. My question, although I will not need the money per say. ( private pension and government pension = about $3000.00 monthly. I would like to do occasional sail charter to pass the time and round up months end. Would it be a possible thing to do, and how hard would it be (red tape, permit etc....)
Thank you in advance. And be well.