Moving to saudi arabia

Hi everybody it's wonderful to know that there are canadian expats in saudi arabia.  My husband and I and our 10 year old daughter, as well as our two dogs. Are making plans to move to saudi arabia.
Just concerned about my dogs, how they will be treated and if there are any places where I can take them leash free. As well how safe is it for myself and my daughter as women and do we have to dress a certain way. What about schools and sports.

thanks for your put

isy

Hi Isy,
I am originally from Yemen so we and Saudi people share some common customs.As in any other country,there are some regulations and sometimes limitations we as expats have to accept and sometimes follow!
So regarding KSA , it depends to which province are you planning to stay in,as far as I know some areas are very conservative regarding women going out without the traditional women clothes-which is black unfortunately!-   Anyways,you have to keep in mind that there will be some restrictions regarding the way you used to wear back in Canada ;specially in summer :( .And for the dogs...mmmm.I am not really sure if you can freely go out by yourself to have a walk with them in parks..common people there usually do not really accept dogs as their pets for certain religious reasons.
  Schools are of course available for foreign students who wants to study in English...but not really sure if your daughter has to wear any special uniforms...you know,covering hair and stuff...
Hope this will help you to have a rough idea on the place your going to live there... My advice is to be make friends there,locals (for sure women) so they can show you the ins and outs of the city ...wish you all the best dear...
Gou

I have had friends who lived there for a few years and came back (or a few people who moved from there).

From what I hear, point blank:

Positives:

- You will get to be a part of oil and gas wealth, if you land a job in this sector. No taxes.

Negatives:

- Very boring and nothing to do in the midst of the dessert and sand. Some decent shopping malls and that's about it.
- Necessities etc. much more expensive.
- People are very rude, obnoxious and do not treat non-Arabs very well.
- Very hot and airconditioning is a must. Occassional sandstorms as well.
- Ultra-laid back society. It takes several weeks (or even months) just to get the internet up and running.
- Ultra conservative values will limit freedom in ways that cannot be imagined being here in Canada.