Importing car running on diesel to Bogota

Hi there, I need your help. We will be moving to Bogota in summer. Legally there would be no objection to importing our one year old european registered Fiat Freemont running on Diesel  with a diplomatic passport. However, I have heard that environmental legislation and availability of diesel fuel in Bogota make it difficult to register a diesel run car. Who can enlighten me please?

Hi
you are lucky because the import of cars is not authorized for common people.
Now buses and trucks use diesel so it should be easy to find.
Regards

Thank you for your quick reply. As you are European, can you tell me please which items important to Europeans are unavailable or very expensive and that I should bring to Bogota from here? PS only my husband will travel with a diplomatic passport the rest of his family are as unprivileged as you :) regards

Hi,
in fact I am Colombian.
I guess you will be living in Bogota,
in Bogota you will find anything you want, but it is more expensive than Europe, as they are borders fees when the products enter the country.
So the best thing will be to find local equivalent for the products you like.  They are many commercial centers in Bogota.
And most of the movies are in 3D....
If you like to read please buy all the books you like BEFORE coming.
Because a book sent from Europe (let's say 22 euros) will be charged +/- 12 euros for transport + 8 euros for import taxes...
You also have to know that electricity is not stable, according to the European rules.
So for all electronic products I suggest that you have a battery supply and a regulator.  Those are common in Colombia and not so expensive.  Of course electricity is 110 V check if you equipments can support that voltage.

Regards

Paula

Hi again Paula, yes I am aware of the fact that I have to basically re-buy all my electrical appliances! :(  thanks for the advise about books! I guess I'll have to stock and bring with me what I need. But I probably won't have much time for reading as I first have to concentrate all my efforts on learning Spanish and getting my family settled.
Hope to hear from you soon, Maris