Electronics? What to bring?

Is it possible to buy basic electronic appliances? Is it better to buy and bring everything along?  I'm taking about a little hand blender, hairdryer and a browsing laptop (so very small scale stuff)  I'd like to cut down on baggage, but don't want to be without!

Also how do phones work over there???

Can I bring my UK mobile and get a local sim?

Well ..I am an Expat as well living here since more then year...everything is available here ....No you do not need to bring your mobile phone if you do not want...its available here as well :) You are not coming to Ethiopia :D

hey burnside u will need to unblock ur phone in egypt
everything is available here
have a good trip

You can find everything you need here.  Depending on whether you have a visa when you arrive or will be buying a tourist visa at the airport you could have to pay customs when you arrive on anything you bring.  They generally don't tax tourists for things like computers or cameras but when those of us with work visas go home for a visit and then come back they will make us pay customs or show documents that prove we have already paid.  We have people who have paid customs on their computers 2 or 3 times because they forgot to bring their paperwork showing that they've paid.  The Egyptian government likes to put their hand in expats pockets as often and as deep as possible.  Actually, that's pretty much across the board for expats so it's important to learn to say no. Also, in most smaller shops where nothing is marked they add to the price if you're an expat.  More and more there are stores like Carrefour and shopping malls where everything is marked and everyone pays the same and you can shop at them to know you're being treated fair.

Hand blender, curling iron, hairdryer, electric toothbrush, elec. razors are all available. I would bring your laptop because computer equipment is expensive here.  I saw my year old laptop being sold here for almost double the price I paid in the USA.  Bring enough medication with you if you have some rare condition because it may take a while to find where you can buy it or it may not alway be on the shelf in the pharamcy that sells it.  One thing to make sure you pack is patience.

alimirza wrote:

Well ..I am an Expat as well living here since more then year...everything is available here ....No you do not need to bring your mobile phone if you do not want...its available here as well :) You are not coming to Ethiopia :D

Why this comparison with Ethiopia? I think there, there are phones and other things too!

You can t leave your country without a phone and a laptop!
First cause a phone is necessary in the way to here, laptop cause you need your data!
Laptops are not so expensive compare with Europe, but they are not very good, some are made in China!
The rest you could find here with a good price!

Thanks for the info, people.  I think they have had phones and hair dryers in Ethiopia for a while now.  They might even have TVs!
My laptop was stolen, so I guess I need to buy one before I come over :(