Travel HCMC-Hanoi by bike - feasible?

Hi All,
Ever since I arrived here I fancied making a proper road trip... I wonder if a top-gear-style trip is feasible. Why shouldn't it be? Buy an cheap bike, pack a rucksack, and off we go. How hard can it be?
I welcome opinions, has anyone tried such an endeavour?
If anyone else is thinking along those lines... I'm looking for travel partner(s) for a any kind of road trip (up north, or anywhere else...) I'm in HCMC, off work at the end of April.

I have a friend who took a bike road trip from SG to HN last February in 14 days. He did several charity works during the trip. If you want to know more, I can introduce you to him. PM me, I will pass you his email as he is not living in Vietnam.

mmayer wrote:

Hi All,
Ever since I arrived here I fancied making a proper road trip... I wonder if a top-gear-style trip is feasible. Why shouldn't it be? Buy an cheap bike, pack a rucksack, and off we go. How hard can it be?
I welcome opinions, has anyone tried such an endeavour?
If anyone else is thinking along those lines... I'm looking for travel partner(s) for a any kind of road trip (up north, or anywhere else...) I'm in HCMC, off work at the end of April.

I have done that kind of trip several times up north with different routes, to Sapa is the furthest. Also did 3 times to Mekong Delta down to Phu Quoc island. If you have any question, I'm happy to help. I blogged about it and got a lot of attention from other travelers, can show you if you're interested! =)

There's a charity ride going on now. They had a rider get clipped by a truck the other day.  She's in the hospital now with a leg injury.

http://h2hrfvc.blogspot.com/

I just did this trip in Nov last year..
2,900 Klms Hanoi to Saigon.. 3 weeks.
PM me if you want details
Alex