Living in Chiang Mai on a multiple entry Tourist Visa

I am a retiree who is moving permanently to Chiang Mai at the end of the year. I am new to the Expat.com and wanting to know if anyone has "recent" experience on living in Chiang Mai on a multiple entry Tourist Visa? I don't have the financial requirement for getting a retirement visa and after my initial tourist visa expires was wondering where to go to get a new multiple entry tourist visa and how hard it is? Also anyone living in Chiang Mai in similar circumstances? Thanks for the information and advice.

steveinphoenix wrote:

I am a retiree who is moving permanently to Chiang Mai at the end of the year. I am new to the Expat.com and wanting to know if anyone has "recent" experience on living in Chiang Mai on a multiple entry Tourist Visa? I don't have the financial requirement for getting a retirement visa and after my initial tourist visa expires was wondering where to go to get a new multiple entry tourist visa and how hard it is? Also anyone living in Chiang Mai in similar circumstances? Thanks for the information and advice.

I would be very careful about what you intend to do. There is a visa  / immigration office in Chiang Mai for visa renewals.
They will soon pick up on the fact that you are living there illegaly. Best thing to do would be to head to Laos when your visa needs to be renewed then get it renewed at the Thai embassy in Vientiane. Next time renew at Chiang Mai. But be warned you will get found out eventually now that everything is computerised and able to be crosschecked.

Once in Chiang Mai I would go to the expat hangouts and ask around for information.

Thanks for the information. I throughly intend to go out of the country to renew my tourist visa, and as far as I understand, renewing my tourist visa is not illegal? It's just that the retirement financial qualifications are unreasonable for someone living on social security.

steveinphoenix wrote:

Thanks for the information. I throughly intend to go out of the country to renew my tourist visa, and as far as I understand, renewing my tourist visa is not illegal? It's just that the retirement financial qualifications are unreasonable for someone living on social security.

You are quite correct in saying its not illegal. However as Stumpy pointed out it could end up causing you problems.

If you get a multi-entry tourist visa(2/3 entries) each entry could be extended at local immigration in Thailad for 30 days(1900 baht) giving you up to around a year here with a triple entry.

However I have to say that the visa is for tourists and not long term stayers.

I do not wish to appear rude,  but If you cannot afford the retirement route then maybe you need to consider whether coming to live in CM is a good idea.

This Expat.com is "not" helpful...just critical, without any understanding.

steveinphoenix wrote:

Steve
Sorry you feel that way. But I can assure you that the comments are intended to be helpful. In my own case(can't speak for Stumpy) I have lived here since 2008 and do know the rules. I aso try to help folk who would like to reside here too by being honest and realistic.

By all means come on a tourist visa and do what you suggest. As the Thai people say "up to you."

Good luck.

thetefldon wrote:
steveinphoenix wrote:

Steve
Sorry you feel that way. But I can assure you that the comments are intended to be helpful. In my own case(can't speak for Stumpy) I have lived here since 2008 and do know the rules. I aso try to help folk who would like to reside here too by being honest and realistic.

By all means come on a tourist visa and do what you suggest. As the Thai people say "up to you."

Good luck.

I am sorry that you think we are unhelpful. I am not being critical at all just merely pointing out the potential problems you may face. I have been in and out of Asia for the last 40+ years and I like to think I do have a little knowledge of the place.
I agree that if you do not meet the financial criteria for a retirement visa then you need to reconsider whether you come to Chiang Mai long term on a tourist visa. Believe me when I say that you will get found out. It may not happen for a long time but as the immigration authorities see you coming and going when your name comes up on their computer system you will be in trouble. 

If you still intend to go ahead with this then perhaps you should look at heading to Laos after your 3rd renewal. You will get a 1 month tourist visa there which can be extended for another month at the Immigration office in Luang Prabang or Vientiane. Accommodation is cheap there if you stay in backpacker type places, eat at roadside stalls or restaurants where locals eat. Then head back to Chiang Mai
Good luck.

Well if you want to come here and try to make a living here for long time, sure you need to find a better option the Tourist Visa +30 days at Immigration. Then renewing it like Laos for Tourist single or 2 entry's, easy to get there.
But i do think it is a good start to get a "feeling" about living here.

Many people live here and donŽt have the 65k baht pr month, so donŽt let that keep you away from trying it.
You donŽt need that much anyway to stay here and live "good".

You do know if you have a little money safe up, that you can combine income + Money in the bank, so the total get over 800.000 a year.

Like if you have 45.000 income pr month X 12 month = 540.000 pr year.
800.000 - 540.000 = 260.000 in the Bank. and so on.

All so there is a option call ED-Visa where you can study a few hours pr week to stay here long time.

This is only a exemplar:

25.000 baht for 180/200 hours and for all the paper work for 12 month.
Then you have to pay 1.900 baht every 90 days at Immigration 4 time pr year.
So total 32.600 baht.

One thing i like to remind you about, is Insurance when living here. It can cost a lot pr year to have one. and a lot more if you DONŽT have one..

Other then that, i hope you enjoy it here.

The ED Visa is a good, reliable option if you attend an accredited school.  The visa is valid for one year, even though it must be renewed every 3 months at a local Immigration Office. 

You only need to leave the country once (to obtain the Visa), and then you can stay for awhile as you get the feel for things.  More information on our latest border run here softpacegoesfar.com/vientiane-thai-visa-run/, or simply post a reply.

Good luck!