Renovations

Well.....I started a simple (I thought) project of installing Ceramic tile on backsplash and countertop.  What a mess. Guys came around 9 and started the demolition there are bits and pieces in every part of the house, drawers, shelves you name it they are in it.  It'll take months to find every one.  Red dust throughout the house.  OMG will I survive this trauma...I swear this is the last major demo project. One of the demo guys insisted on buying me a beer, that was at 10:30 insisted I have a drink...so early for Presidente...a few sips to show him my appreciation...he brought a bottle of rum for himself.  Today is the start of rebuilding the base and since they just walked in I asked them not to break out with the rum. Evidently their party continued last night and they are experiencing a hangover today.  Thank God the tile will be straight and installed correctly. I hope, I hope, I hope. I'll know at the end of the day...fingers crossed xxxx.

Keep us posted! I know that feeling.of cleaning up after renos for days and days.

Oh the fun is just beginning.  Ask Planner about her "maybe finished cabinets"

Bob K

Still not finished Bob!

Boy am I surprised...................NOT

Bob K

Well Bob I have gone so far as to ask for them to drop off the rest of the wood needed. I will get it finished with MY people.  Enough of their crap.

After the installation of ceramic tile and the clean up, I bought the paint and will start that project next.  To be done with it all is my dream.  But in this country its never done totally.  The humidity creates havoc with everything.  I'm forever trying to keep the metal things lubricated with WD40.  I could probably own the company now with the way I use the stuff.  Will I ever stop thinking "home improvements"?  After having spent 35 years in the Real Estate business in the States, I assess everything to adding value and beauty to a property.  I always see a house as sad and in need of improvements always want to make it better....Need to stop thinking in those terms because doing things here is such a big big job.  Its not easy when you sometimes need a man to drill a hole because the concrete is just too damn hard to do under your own power.  Sheetrock was great in the States, no drills and its done..
I need to get some R&R and that means "La Playa" a few hours 3 or 4 times a week.  I live in walking distance and am not there much.  What's the point of living in this beautiful country and not taking advantage of its beauty and benefits. Take a break from the hammer and brush and enjoy the view. Today is Sunday and its party time at El Carey where the sand, sea and sun meet the Dance Floor..Never too much of that to rejuvenate the mind and body.

Sounds like you are making good progress and yes very important no to lose sight of why you came here. You need to spend time enjoying the "experience".  I make sure every week I get at least 1-2 days to play on the beach.

Don't ask Planner about her latest project!!!!!

BObK

HAHAHA....... great to hear things are coming.g along...... mine.... Oh hell it's crazy. Remember these people work for the owner NOT me.....

Revealing the roof - first notifications of filtration in September and continued notifications since.  They came a month ago to assess the issue..... I followed up weekly to get a repair date. It's dry here - time to do the roof....

Finally they say Saturday EARLY!  Right, after multiple calls and excuses they show at 4:50 pm. They do something up there and leave an hour and a half later. Supposedly now they will come.back next week with first coat of sealant.

Please note I  am not holding my breath!!!

And yes, I need the beach and El Carey for a cheeseburger and dancing!!!! Wish I was there salsamama!!!

Planner just think is there ANYTHING else you could possible do with your time other than wait, call, wait, call and wait around some more.  I mean think of how many plans the workers had to change in order to be at your place 4 days and 7 hours late????/
I feel for you

Bob K

Hahahaha. Thank goodness I always have something to do! I mostly work from home so ME and my laptop stay busy..... I just detest the disrespect and ignorance behind this behavior!

When I hire them I make sure things are different and they understand - do this and you are fired! Period.

I have a handyman who shows up on time, every time or he calls to say where be is and when he will arrive! He is awesome. Last visit he fixed my outside gate, installed curtain rods (damn concrete and drills) fixed some plumbing, installed new wireless doorbell lnd installed hooks. All this for equivalent of US 11!!!!  Great guy

Too bad he can't do roofs and closets!

I know we have a handyman that is the same way. Always on time and usually with the proper tools ( of course not counting electric tools like drills and saws).  to bad he does not do plumbing and electric.

Now we have to find a painter to paint the whole house (out side and a few rooms inside). I figure once we find the "right" guy it will take 3-4 weeks to get it done.

Bob K

My painter is excellent...and uses drop cloths..."would you believe"..Puerto Plata areas.  He just finished my kitchen today and will start the cabinets as soon as I buy the paint...he's a good guy..if you're interested.

Sure send me his info in a PM if you don't mind

Bob K

Yayyyy a painter who uses drop cloths......  didn't know they existed.....LOL