How was people's day to day life affected by the recent bad floods ?

As a newbie and potential expat in the following few months, I wanted to know how people here generally dealt day to day with the flooding that I saw happen in the city early this year.
Did it bring the place to a standstill or did people battle through and try and carry on as best they could !?

Popular images tend to portray Jakarta as being under water and a nice place for fish but no much else.
The flooded areas were a mess but that's only some areas, not all of it.
Life went on and will in next year's floods.
The trick is, find a map of the flooded areas and don't move there.

http://content5.sangatpedas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2013-01-16_Banjir_Jakarta_Update-620x880.jpg

I agree with Mas Fred. I still went to work and travelled freely around the city. It took a little longer than normal some days.  My stepson's school closed now and then but it does every time the river its near bursts. A few teachers of mine could not get to work but overall everything carried on.
Flooding this year was less than last and in some different areas of the city.

Kemang and Grogol, Mangga Dua and PIK areas as normal. Try not to live or work there.

Thank you for the map! Mas fred.
Seems the UK press played it up a bit, probably to distract from our own floods which were the worst they have been for a long time and if course its all blamed on Global warming!....

Good to know that daily life carried on as I susoected Luke.
You know what its like in the UK, ie one leaf on a train line or a millimetre of snow and we panic and grind to a halt!!

Hopefully I am in negotiations to live in Central Park, Podomoro City which is near to the companys main office, so I should be ok, but its good to know that as I said to mas fred that it wasn't as bad as some of the UK/Europeanpress had you believe.
Thanks again for your valuable insights, its all helping paint a picture for my wife and me..

rblackmuir wrote:

Good to know that daily life carried on as I susoected Luke.
You know what its like in the UK, ie one leaf on a train line or a millimetre of snow and we panic and grind to a halt!!

Hopefully I am in negotiations to live in Central Park, Podomoro City which is near to the companys main office, so I should be ok, but its good to know that as I said to mas fred that it wasn't as bad as some of the UK/Europeanpress had you believe.
Thanks again for your valuable insights, its all helping paint a picture for my wife and me..

Nice place to live!

Central Park is a huge mall which has another central park being  built next to it. There are monster sized Malls either side and so many apartment towers it is a world unto itself. However, directly out side of CP the area floods up 1.5 metres at times during the rainy season. Central Park is part of Grogol and in the rain the area is a mess.
I used to live in apartment towers over looking the mall and whilst very useful found the noise and traffic and lack of taxis annoying not to mention the traffic around it.

Still, it has everything you need and a good place to start.

lukereg wrote:

Central Park is a huge mall which has another central park being  built next to it. There are monster sized Malls either side and so many apartment towers it is a world unto itself. However, directly out side of CP the area floods up 1.5 metres at times during the rainy season. Central Park is part of Grogol and in the rain the area is a mess.
I used to live in apartment towers over looking the mall and whilst very useful found the noise and traffic and lack of taxis annoying not to mention the traffic around it.

Still, it has everything you need and a good place to start.

Thanks for that Luke,, I will have a good look round the central park area with my wife when we are there in a few weeks, we can live elsewhere as I will be given a budget for accommodation,  but the office is on the central park site , so I wanted to avoid any car journeys first thing in the morning.
But looks like my job will involve going to different sites around central and western Jakarta so there is potential to live elsewhere......

On a side note , I see are in education, so a quick question from my wife, as she has a surveying degree but is planning to do a  TEFL teaching course before we leave for  Jakarta, so she wanted to know how easy or hard it is to get a basic teaching job teaching english with what she has...its just one option for a job that she is considering.. any feedback would be appreciated.
Regards

Teaching jobs are easy to find around that part of Jakarta. Check my PM to you.

Many thanks for that Luke, I will check it out..

If floods are the main concern do not stay around jalan mangga area in jarkata. Yeah some months are bad

Thanks for the information, hopefully I will be stopping in Podomoro City......fingers crossed!