Importing Pets in 2014

Hiya everyone,

I have read through this part of the forum and see that importing pets has become more complicated. Could someone let me know what the exact process is? And how long is it taking on arrival at the Kuwait airport to clear your pet once you have arrived?

Many thanks in advance!

I have a friend who "exported" his pet from Kuwait back to his native country. He did some paper work here and there to get the pet on a plane. I'll get more details and update.

I imported my two dogs here a few months ago and didn't find it hard at all! I had to get them shots 30 prior to flying and a international health certificate within 10 days of flying out. I also had to obtain out an import permit from the Kuwaiti Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries which I have a copy of and more than happy to send to you if you like. There are companies that can help but all they're essentially doing is filling out the forms for you and charging you an arm and a leg for it. I've heard people having issues with waiting but it seems to vary from person to person. I flew with my small dog in cabin with me (if you pet is small enough I would highly consider it) and the big one was in cargo and I got him shortly after I got my luggage. Hope this helps :)

As already mentioned you need to get an import permit first. It is free if you do it yourself, or Petzone can do it for you for a couple of KWD. This is valid for 30 days.
In order to board the plane you need to get the vaccinations in the country of origin.
Make sure you don't arrive with the late flight as you will spend extra time on the cargo terminal waiting for the arrival of the person who will guide you through the process. I spent more than three hours after arriving at 1 AM.
Apart from that expect to spend an hour or two at the cargo terminal to process the papers, and have some money ready to....help with the process.
I highly recommend all newcomers to bring a pet with them when arriving in Kuwait for the first time, as this will serve nicely as a crash course through the Kuwait sophisticated bureaucratic system and how to fight your way through it.

@Ribosom and @tinataitly ... thank you for sparing me the update :)

Thanks so much everyone! It really puts my mind at ease knowing that it is quite straightforward as long as the procedure is followed.

Hello,
I have moved to Kuwait & my husband will be joining me on a visitor visa on May 22 bringing our dog in cabin on a United flight. I wanted to see if anyone knew if I need to have an Arabic speaker with me for 1.) to go get the Import Permit & 2.) In Customs for clearance?
Is the Animal Fisheries building past Avenues near Ardiya?

If anyone knows the updated process or any tips could you let me know :)
I have heard horror stories but some good ones so any advice on obtaining the permit and if the dog travels in cabin would be soooooo very helpful!

Best regards & thanks in advance

Jess

jessie, have you read this thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=324225

All the tips are there.

HI am bringing my dog out in September and have been reading the posts. I have also been told that I need to get all the dog's documents attested at the the FCO in London and then go to  the Kuwait Embassy in London after the FCO the week prior to flying (especially the fit to fly certificate) for them to approve the documents too - has anyone any experience on this? I know I had to do all that for my documents but for a dog??

Yorkshirecouple wrote:

HI am bringing my dog out in September and have been reading the posts. I have also been told that I need to get all the dog's documents attested at the the FCO in London and then go to  the Kuwait Embassy in London after the FCO the week prior to flying (especially the fit to fly certificate) for them to approve the documents too - has anyone any experience on this? I know I had to do all that for my documents but for a dog??

No, you don't need to do that. Health certificate is needed for the airline to board the animal, Kuwait embassy has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for the help - most grateful.

HI saw your post can you email me the form for the import permit? also how long is it valid from when it is issued? Does it need to be at the Kuwit end on arrival or travel with the per?
Thanks very much
Wendy

@anwariie: for the safely of your puppy I would strongly consider waiting until she has obtain her shots to bring her over. Being so young she could get extremely sick and it's not a good idea to fly them until they are at least 12-14 weeks old since it's very traumatic for pets.

@Yorkshirecouple: I have a copy of the import permit in my email box and would be more than happy to send it to you if you PM me your email address :)

Hi, we are about to move our dogs from the UK to Kuwait.  Just wondered if you could tell me how your dog that was in hold was brought to you after you received your luggage?  Did you have to go to a separate area to collect him or was the dog brought out to you?

Thanks