Security at Compound

Hello
Hope that all is well with you.
I am looking for a experience, capable and Trust worthy watchman to work at my compound in gambia.
So far I have been very unlucky with the two that I have employed so I am turning to this site tk ask people who are living in gambia. ...and may have direct/ In direct experience ...maybe through friends...about security companies abd and how they operate. Or maybe you can make some suggestions...please

I'm inclined to recommend you take the electronic route. Cameras do not sleep and a recording will at least ensure the thieves are locked up. In my experience night watchmen do what you do at night and are often easily intimidated into assisting thieves.

Thanks for your response.  Must confess that I have thought about this and had a look at a couple in the Maplins shop. Now that u have suggested this as an option I will investigate further. I have to travel back to the UK so my  concern are around any power cuts that can occur frequently. I think I would need a generator that is wired so it kick in if power go off.
Are you living in the Gambia. ...and if so what type of security do you and others expats have in their compound. . Do you know of any reliable workmen ..eg electrical. .plumbers n carpenter.
Thanks
I am stressing about this until I can return and sort it out.
Thanks

Thanks for your response.  Must confess that I have thought about this and had a look at a couple in the Maplins shop. Now that u have suggested this as an option I will investigate further. I have to travel back to the UK so my  concern are around any power cuts that can occur frequently. I think I would need a generator that is wired so it kick in if power go off.
Are you living in the Gambia. ...and if so what type of security do you and others expats have in their compound. . Do you know of any reliable workmen ..eg electrical. .plumbers n carpenter.
Thanks
I am stressing about this until I can return and sort it out.
Thanks

I want to make another point in agreement.  I know what you mean about 'sleeping'on the job.  In January we had a young man acting as watchman, about 3/4am the dog was barking continously so we were forced to get up and investigate. I stood at the door calling the watchman name for a good five minutes...it was only after my husband went out to investigate nd at this point he found him sleeping. Upon calling out  his name rather loud he woke nd much to our horror. .  He said 'uncle. .I was just resting my eyes!.at that point I could have punched him . I realised then that it is VERY difficult to get good help..Only if I knew then...what I know now. .I would NEVER HAVE BUILT.

Hello
Happy New Year to All members of this forum. Hope that 2015 has began with a positive start for you. I am hoping to relocate to Gambia in a few months and I look forward to meeting you.

:) have you thought about solar power it's getting cheeper and more reliable ,also while your away ask a friend or a neighbour to keep an eye on your property

Hi,  i know this might be a bit late but i have just joined i just wanted to say anyone looking for a good security guard  x army, x fireman, does security work now,  my friend in the gambia is looking for a new security job as he works at one of the hotels now but doesnt get treated very well  if anyone is looking please get in touch and i will pass on his phone number to you thanks shaz