Moving to Malaysia

Hi there

Myself and my husband are moving to Malaysia in Aug and really don't know much regarding Visa. The Malaysian website has not been that clear for us as there's information scattered everywhere so can anyone recommend a helpful website for this?

Also you might be able to answer some of my questions with your fountains of knowledge!

Firstly my husband may have a job opportunity that will also be a study extension for his part 3 architects qualification and so they suggested getting a student Visa. If this was the case could I get a dependence pass on my husbands student visa and also would I be able to work too?

Or would it b a case of my applying for my own work permit and my husband going in on a student visa?

Also if my husband doesn't go for this position and gets a job that will pay him full and not a Student salary, could I then be a dependant on his visa and with that am I able to work? Are there any restrictions on how much I can work and how much I can earn?

Also a non visa related question, we will b living in petaling jaya. Are there many green space and parklands? I really like going for walks with beautiful scenery and in my city, although this is limited, there are some beautiful spaces, does n e one know n e in PJ or KL?

Also, how much would you say is enough to be earning between two people to be living a comfortable life style? So 1/2 bed condo, car, access to swim and gym, healthy food and some leisure activities?

And finally, does n e one know about how to transfer your pennies to a Malaysia. Bank n currency? Do u have to pay exchange rates if u just do a bank transfer or something?

as you can tell, were first time overs so any advice would be wonderful!

Thankyou

Charlene

A student visa requires enrolment in a course in Malaysia and there are heavy restrictions about working and this is confined to mainly the service industry. Your husband would need to get an employment pass with a job to be able to stay in Malaysia legally.

Dependent visas are available for student and employment passes. You can work if you get offered a job at a pay level of not less than RM5k per month (i.e. you don't take work away from Malaysians and your skills are needed and not available locally).

There are green spaces. But where you live should be dependent on where your husband works, as public transport is not widely available, so living within easy distance of the work place is quite important. Whether you want to get involved in hiring or buying a car in Malaysia, will also depend on the home/work relationship.

The cheaper areas are further away from KL City Centre in most cases, except the popular expat areas, which tend to be more expensive. You can expect to pay about RM2.5-3k per month in rent. People seem to live here on anything from RM7.5k upwards, but it depends on your lifestyle.  One point to note is that the enviro-climate in the Klang Valley is quite poor and on some occasions the haze reaches dangerous levels.

To transfer money into Malaysia, you first have to open a bank account, which usually requires a visa/pass of some sort.  You then open an account in the currency of your source money. When the exchange rate is favourable or the need arises, you exchange money from the source into the Ringgit Malaysia account. The rate is around RM5 = £1.

Hi working under a student visa as suggested is illegal. He would need an employment pass, however, that can be difficult to get for a part-qualified architect as the Malaysian Board of Architects need to approve any employment passes and they prob would not. Expats are expected to be fully qualified! There are always exceptions of course, but the suggestion of a student visa suggest the employer found out they would have difficulties getting an employment pass. Also I was under the impression no shortage now of local architects due to world recession.

For a couple  no kids, don't drink much and live frugally 10k a month is ok. If you want a reasonably good life 25k a month is quite normal in KL. Many expat couples I know cruise along on 40-60k a month joint incomes and that is what I call a minimum proper expat salary for couples (allowing for 2 cars, holidays and saving for a pension/house deposit).