Thinking about moving! Would appreciate some advice from you!

Hey guys! How are you? I hope you're all doing great!

My name is Fabian, i'm 24 years old, and i'm looking to move out of my country (Venezuela, South America). I'm from italian/spanish heritage, and i even have european passport. I speak fluent english, spanish (native language), and i'm starting to learn arabic! Classical arabic, then i'm going to start learning dialects.

To make a long story short, i love arab countries and i've always been very sympathetic towards anything related to the arabic culture. I could explain my reasons if you want, but i'm making this statement just to let you know that, despite being western, i would feel very comfortable in a different enviroment, such as the Middle East.

I think no one posts almost anything anymore, but it's worth a shot to ask anyway!

I would like to hear from your own experience, what do you think about Lebanon in general? Both from an expat's and a native's point of view.

I'm a christian (catholic), i respect everyone's own religion, and i think i'm not problematic at all. I don't even drink or smoke or any of those things. I'm more into sports, and just being outdoors. I usually get along with almost everyone, even though i'm a bit shy or quiet, at least at first. I'm also bit conservative, but not a conservative freak at all, lol!

So, knowing all that, what do you think? I really like Lebanon a lot. I would like to know just a few very basic stuff. My country is the most unsafe and dangerous country in the world (and we're not even at war, and no, i'm not kidding). More than 25.000 people are murdered every year (and 96% of every type of crime ends unsolved), you can get robbed at ANY TIME, we have too much poverty, we have the highest inflation in the world (56%, even more than Syria because of their war), etc. It's just impossible to live here or have a future at the moment, unless you're willing to corrupt yourself and make money out of illegal businesses, which i'm simply not willing to do, not now, not ever, under any circumstance. If you want to get an idea of how it is to live here, check this out:

martineretting.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/living-in-venezuela-the-unpleasant-part-of-the-story/

I would like to move into a country where i would not be afraid of going outside. I wanna go out for a walk, or go grab something to eat at night or whatever, and not be scared. I want to be sure that my savings are worth something! Pretty much i just want a decent life. Also, is it strange for foreigners to meet/date/marry lebanese women? I know in most arab countries it's very uncommon because of islamic and even non islamic laws. But i heard Lebanon is pretty much the "most open minded" arab country. I'm just asking because it would be nice to meet someone from the country at some point. I would hate to move there and realize i won't be able to meet or date anyone just because i'm not arab or from a specific religion.

So, tell me your thoughts! I would really like to read what you have to say, regarding of what it is. Your opinion would be very much appreciated!

Thanks on advance! And i wish you guys nothing but the best!

You'll find what your looking for in lebanon
good luck

Hey!

Thank you! Short answer, but most encouraging. I appreciate it. Let's hope so!

Hi!
i think Lebanon is a very nice place to live in....especially (and don't take this the wrong way, this is by no means meant insulting) if you have before lived in countries where some things just don't always work (electricity, traffic, etc.).
I have been here for two years now as my husband is Lebanese and so far I have always felt safe here.
When it comes to dating iI think it would be no problem either but keep in mind that it is uncommon for example to live with a girlfriend in the same apartment if you are not married. Most people here, so I feel, actually date to find a partner for life as this seems to be a very important thing here.
you also have to try and find some good work, best if they provide you with a work permit so you do not have to continuously leave and re-enter the country when your visa expires.
Cost of living in Beirut is rather high...i sometimes wonder how people without much money manage to get by. Especially when it comes to housing....i would at first search for a co-living opportunity with some other foreigners in order to save up some money.

hmmm....oh and the language can be learned as well...i am doing not so bad at it myself :-)

hope i could give you some insights...all of these are from my personal point of view and maybe others will disagree but this is what I would want to know if I was in your position.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to ask.

Take care!
Linni