Moving to Beijing this September, Haidian District--Questions

Greetings, I have but a few questions for anyone willing to lend some knowledge on Beijing life. I am moving to Beijing to live in the above mentioned district with housing costs that does not exceed 3000 RMB per month (two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, two bathrooms). I was offered a position teaching sociology at an American International university in the same district of my soon to be living accommodations at a salary that does not exceed 36,000 American dollars. Does this salary make me a soon to be prince or pauper? Perhaps somewhere in between? Creep and Crawl, as a somewhat famous SKA band says, I step into the night. A night, I prefer, to be rather lively with some sort of debauchery, and perhaps other forms of excitement of the dubious sort. Does such a thing exist? After all, an urban ethnographer, that's what i call myself, needs, prefers, enjoys, nighttime festivities worth a line or two of writing.Further, for a New Orleanean living in New York City, is such a move, to the readers opinion, wise, of course contingent on taste? How vibrant is the expat community, and, for matters such related, how vibrant is the nightlife, dating scene, social events, and other like minded things? I appreciate any and all advise provided.

Hi pjmarina
I'm some of suprised about the salary of 36,000 American dollars.If it's means a monthly pay.Congratulations ,it's a huge number.Even if it's a yearly salary,you can also live a good life in beijing.
In china you nearly can't find places you mentioned debauchery.It's forbidden.
Welcome to china!

Welcome to China!~u are so into nightlife and there do exist lots of clubs in Beijing,like Houhai,Sanlitun Village.There are lots of pubs in Chaoyang Distinct,u will definitely love it.So,just enjoy your life in Beijing~

Im going to disagree with the above poster, i live in Chaoyang, but haiden is probably my favorite district to go out in followed closley by the hutongs in dongcheng.

36000 a year is about what im on and i live pretty comfortably with plenty of opportunity to save approximatley 1000 a month as well.