Monthly expense in Ho Chi Minh City

Hi All,

I am moving to HCMC next month, and I want an idea of cost of living. Is my below assumption correct?
[All numbers in USD/Month]
- Rent 400
- Electricity/Water/Internet/Phone 200
- Local conveyance 200
- Food/cooking 400
- Drinks/party 300
- Misc 300

Total maximum 2000 USD/month? Am in over/under-estimating?

Thank you.

All comes down to how you live, I live on way,way less then that but I dont eat and drink in expat style bars and cafes. You can get that down to 1000 usd a month, all according to how you live.

Yeah, agree with colinoscapee. It's all depends on your lifestyle and luxury. If you want a simple life $500 enough. It does not include a luxury apartment or wild life parties. But can rent a nice furnished room (as a single), food for one person and other inevitable expenses like your petrol, electricity, water, etc.
I know here many expats spending more than $2000 a month  :D
We, just 2 spend a maximum of $600 a month for all which including a 2 BD apartment(semi furnished) rent  in Q.5

come to my house and you can living for free ! you just pay for water and electric ! but verry chip 25$ one month ! but quality it mabe small

shuvo91 wrote:

Hi All,

I am moving to HCMC next month, and I want an idea of cost of living. Is my below assumption correct?
[All numbers in USD/Month]
- Rent 400
- Electricity/Water/Internet/Phone 200
- Local conveyance 200
- Food/cooking 400
- Drinks/party 300
- Misc 300

Total maximum 2000 USD/month? Am in over/under-estimating?

Thank you.

A few things come to mind:

1)  You don't mention what type of place you wish to rent, and in which district.  I'm sure you can find something for $400 per month, but you have to decide how big, how modern, and where.

2)  $200 for electricity, water, internet and phone sounds high to me, but again you don't mention what level of internet and phone you're talking about

3)  Food/cooking for $400 -- is that street food, western-style restaurants, cooking at home, a mix of these, etc.? 

4)  What type of local conveyance? 

I think most people would say $2000 per month is plenty to live in HCMC -- it would be for me -- but it really depends on your expectations.  You should be more specific if you want some good opinions.

@ DanFromSF and other benevolent friends,

1)  You don't mention what type of place you wish to rent, and in which district.  I'm sure you can find something for $400 per month, but you have to decide how big, how modern, and where.

ANSWER: In Dist 1 or 3 - I will stay alone, so a studio appt will do, but I have some criteria on ambience (both inside and outside) - the room should be bright (with windows) and about 30-40 m2 area. A balcony would be preferable. In terms of locality, well, not much knowledge of HCMC, but somewhere the expats stay? Also, my office will be in Kumho Asiana Plaza in Le Duan - so a walking distance from there would be really really preferred. With all these criteria fulfilled, I can extend my budget a notch higher.

2)  $200 for electricity, water, internet and phone sounds high to me, but again you don't mention what level of internet and phone you're talking about

ANSWER: I will be online all day, but will not be downloading movies regularly - a 5GB type plan will be all right. Phone - I would need to call home (back in Calcutta, India) about twice a day, plus some local calls. That's it.

3)  Food/cooking for $400 -- is that street food, western-style restaurants, cooking at home, a mix of these, etc.? 

ANSWER: I have two options here - cook myself or appoint a cook - in either case, it would be like a daily meal for one.

4)  What type of local conveyance?

ANSWER: Depending on where i stay - as i mentioned, i have to travel to Le Duan (KA Plaza) daily, and I don't ride a bike, so it's taxi or a bus. On weekends, i might need to travel to Vo Van Tan in dist 3.

Would look forward to more opinions, please. Looking forward to make your acquaintances once i am there. :)

$10 a day on alcohol, I take it that's what you "do?"

That much alcohol at VN prices you're not going to be getting a lot of work done.  I know a raging fourth-stage alcoholic lives there doesn't spend that much.

I hope that estimate is as inflated as the others because you don't need $2k/month unless you want flash and glitz.  Most people I know there live on half that or less and they're not sleeping in nhà trợ.

For calling home twice a day there's always cheap options like Skype, Viber, G+ chat.

Not In TPHCM wrote:

$10 a day on alcohol, I take it that's what you "do?"

The OP said that would cover "drinks/party".  If that includes, perhaps, entertaining women of questionable virtue, it's probably not imbibing an abundance of alcohol.

It sounds like you are overestimating. It all boils down to what you are used to and how you choose to live. If you provide more details on what you expect perhaps we would be able to give you more accurate information.

Hello everyone, if monthly salary 1700usd enough for a family of 3, , no need to pay rent .

:-)

More than enough if you ask me.

helen sauvage wrote:

Hello everyone, if monthly salary 1700usd enough for a family of 3, , no need to pay rent .

Staying at self owned 2 bedroom apartment with size of 66m2 at 9th floor corner in District Binh Tan (near border of District 11 which take 25 minutes to District 1 by motorcycle). With my child study at government primary school with additional studies. Travel using own motorcycle. My Vietnamese wife not required to work. 3 meals for my wife and child and 1 meal (dinner) for myself daily.

With allocation of VND14,000,000 (USD650) per month, my wife still can save quite a bit of it.

International school plus other related expenses will cost about USD1,000. So, don't think it will be comfortable enough for your family.

thank you very much for your reply, 1700usd is  really tight,,maybe need another 500usd or more....