Finding work in Iceland

Hi all,

I'm Australian, and my Italian fiancée and I are thinking about moving to Iceland one day in the not-too-distant future (it's just something that's always fascinated us). In addition to my Australian passport, I also have a UK passport, so I think it would be quite easy for us to move to Iceland from a legal/administrative point of view, as we are both EU citizens.

We'd like to know about the prospects for finding work in Iceland. I'm a native English speaker and my fiancée's mother tongue is obviously Italian. She also speaks French, English and German. I can also speak French and Russian. We have a background in languages and have worked as translators. I have a degree in International Relations/Politics and my fiancée has one in Translation. The problem is that neither of us can speak a word of Icelandic (although we are more than willing and actually quite keen to learn it).

We're open to different lines of work. Any advice for us?

My best idea is either the ministry for foreign affairs (maybe only useful if you speak icelandic) or as a certified translator. People do need things translated from/to English and various European languages.

This is the association of certified translators. Not sure how one gets on their list though.

http://flds.is/index.php?option=content … d=39&sP=39

One final detail. Iceland is not in the EU. Currently there is some major (for Iceland) political upheaval over the accession talks. However, as a member of EEA , it is correct that your nationalities allow you to reside there without work visas.

cethomme wrote:

Hi all,

I'm Australian, and my Italian fiancée and I are thinking about moving to Iceland one day in the not-too-distant future (it's just something that's always fascinated us). In addition to my Australian passport, I also have a UK passport, so I think it would be quite easy for us to move to Iceland from a legal/administrative point of view, as we are both EU citizens.

We'd like to know about the prospects for finding work in Iceland. I'm a native English speaker and my fiancée's mother tongue is obviously Italian. She also speaks French, English and German. I can also speak French and Russian. We have a background in languages and have worked as translators. I have a degree in International Relations/Politics and my fiancée has one in Translation. The problem is that neither of us can speak a word of Icelandic (although we are more than willing and actually quite keen to learn it).

We're open to different lines of work. Any advice for us?

Hi there, :)

1). Begin learning Icelandic immediately so that, upon arrival to Iceland, the two of you show, if not perfect language top skills, at least that you are on your way to becoming good at communicating in the local language.

2). Stop the job hunting madness and start thinking to become financially independent and perhaps provide job(s) to people.

Please grow up for once! ...  :cool:

John C. wrote:

how is asking about jobs in Iceland an indication of someone not having grown up? Not everyone wants to be an employer.

Also, I can tell you from personal experience that the resources for learning Icelandic to a useful extent are extremely limited when you're not in the country. There are some thread here where I've listed some online resources but finding a native speaker to fine-tune pronunciation when you live anywhere other than Scandinavia is very difficult.

ECS wrote:
John C. wrote:

how is asking about jobs in Iceland an indication of someone not having grown up? Not everyone wants to be an employer.

Also, I can tell you from personal experience that the resources for learning Icelandic to a useful extent are extremely limited when you're not in the country. There are some thread here where I've listed some online resources but finding a native speaker to fine-tune pronunciation when you live anywhere other than Scandinavia is very difficult.

I replied to the author of the thread and I do not see any use of the two of us conversing on his/her thread.
People should do their best to be employers, not just stay at the bottom feeders level.
The troubles of being self-employed or an employer are far better than looking for jobs. Nobody looks well when knocking at door after door for an interview.

The world goes by what we want, not by what we do not want, and our goals must always be higher than the previous ones.
Persons who do not want this and do not want that should check a psychiatrist.

And by the way, anybody can learn Icelandic.  It's nothing special about it.

Just my two cents.
With your two cents the poster now has four cents.  :par: