Is Moving to Mauritius a good idea?

Hi everyone

My husband (who was born in Mauritius, but hasn't lived there) and I are planning to move to Mauritius from Western Australia.

We're in our early 30's with no kids and are after a real lifestyle change. We tend to buck at tradition (not intentionally) and aren't after climbing the corporate ladder, however we still aspire to create an extraordinary life together.

For those ex-pats currently living in Mauritius that may have relocated from Australia or similar, do you think moving to Mauritius is a good idea?

Are there good business opportunities, can you make a decent living?

Thank you for any feedback / advice.

Hi,
We have an Australian epxat in this forum who has moved in from Perth. I am sure if he reads your post will give you first hand information.
Cheers!!!
Terence

Thanks Terrance

I appreciate your response. I've met a lot of Mauritian people here in Perth and they've all said, Mauritius is great for a holiday but not to live...which has started to put some doubt in our minds.

that's why i was hoping to hear from some ex-pats that live there to see what they think of it.

thanks again!!

I'll trade my US Citizenship for your Australian citizenship!

Yeah I've got a tonne of questions myself. I live in Wyoming in the US and want to move out there as I need a change too and it's closer for my husband to visit from his duty station in Saudi Arabia. Every place in the world, the US and where I live included has its pros and cons. But...that said I do want o experience life on an island. Lol. And learn a little about the culture and some French while I'm at it.

Hi.

Maybe you should visit Mauritius for a short stay and try to get some answers for your questions first hand. There is a group of Aussie ladies who meet once a month for lunch and you would be welcome to join us.  I'm an Aussie having lived here for nearly 10 years. My children and I enjoy living here but my husband dislikes it. (He thinks a small town in Australia is the best place to live). I personally think that being happy here depends on what job you do, your attitude and the friends (support group) you have. I have lived in 3 other countries and have found Mauritius the hardest place to really make good Mauritian (local) friends. I have had some great expat friends but they tend to come and go.  Of course there are pros and cons. I do have some good friends in Perth who lived here, up until a year ago, that I'm sure would be glad to talk to you. If you want to talk to them let me know?

I think you should visit the island for a month or two. You need to get a feel. I hear lots of people saying "I'm coming to Mauritius to find a job or start a business". Please take our suggestions seriously to save head aches and money.

The last people to ask for opinions about Mauritius are Mauritians, particularly those living abroad.  I don't want to dwell on the reasons for this for there are many.

Visit the island for yourself, assess the disadvantages in the context of what you want from life and decide just how much you feel at ease there.