Arrivng in Oslo on Friday 14th March, looking for work!

Hi,

I'm arriving in Olso, I can't wait.  I'm going to be looking for work, I've been told warehouse work might be a good place to start as I only speak English at the moment.  Is my lack of Norwegian going to be a huge problem looking for work?

Any advice you can give me, will be a huge help.  Also will I need a visa? Tax number? and bank account?

Rob

if you're coming on a UK passport you will have to register with the police but I'm not sure how the tax number thing will work if you don't have a job yet. When I got my personal ID I went to the tax office with my work contract and ID.

Same when I registered for my bank account- I had to provide ID, work contract, and proof of residency in Norway (provided by the tax office when I did the first thing).

You're in a slightly better position than many posters here since you have the right to work, but if you read through the job search threads on this forum, you'll find many people posting about the hard time they're having getting jobs without speaking Norwegian. I think you're at least looking in the right sector though- many of the people in my beginner Norwegian class (some of whom couldn't even speak English) were working in warehouse type jobs.

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful.

Any ideas of good places to start looking for work before arrive? It would be great to set up some interviews for next week.

Rob

Finn.no is generally mentioned as a good place. I have no personal experience job hunting in Norway though, so I can't offer any advice beyond what is already in the many threads on this forum.

On Finn.no most warehose work in Norway requires Norwegian. All normally require a valid forklift licence. I was previously a warehouse manager with 3 years experiance and have so far been declined by macgreggor, NOV, Kelly Services and a few others.
Staying possitive is the only way forward. Make friends with people as most work is word of mouth.

Hello,

LinkedIn is very popular in Norway, so I think quite a few people register there just to get their name about. Of course that's probably not going to be so useful for those entry level jobs. Have you started learning Norwegian yet? I would recommend starting as soon as possible. Even speaking just a little will help you out a lot. Also make sure you move here with enough money in reserve. Oslo eats through money very quickly, and if you're not bringing any in you will soon run out.

You might find the immigration directorate useful in learning about the formal requirements for living here:

http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate … -citizens/

Good luck!

David

dmcart13 wrote:

Hello,

LinkedIn is very popular in Norway, so I think quite a few people register there just to get their name about. Of course that's probably not going to be so useful for those entry level jobs. Have you started learning Norwegian yet? I would recommend starting as soon as possible. Even speaking just a little will help you out a lot. Also make sure you move here with enough money in reserve. Oslo eats through money very quickly, and if you're not bringing any in you will soon run out.

You might find the immigration directorate useful in learning about the formal requirements for living here:

http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate … -citizens/

Good luck!

David

My £6,000 lasted me exactly 4 months in Kristiansand. Oslo is a better oppotunity to find work. I might be moving to Oslo if I still cant find work after summer

That's a lot of money to go through, but it sounds like you have done well to make it last. Oslo has a more diversified labour market, but probably also more competition for jobs. Still, I know people who have moved here and found a job within a couple of months. The key seems to be knowing the right person, and having the right skills. I think that knowing people often dominates though. Speaking at least some Norwegian is also tremendously helpful.

David

Hi David,

I will be moving to oslo in the month of August on student visa. I want to look for part time jobs in oslo..can you please tell what type of part time jobs are available for international students? I can't speak norwegian but plan to learn some before coming.

Also, can you please tell what would be the average pay a student can get from these jobs?

Thanks!

My son found jobs in construction, before he learnt Norwegian. That's not a bad option.

Hello Sana06,

I think you will find it very difficult to get a job without speaking Norwegian. Almost all jobs in Norway are advertised on www.finn.no/jobb. There might be some jobs advertised at the university you are planning to study at.

Thanks dmcart13 and Gordon !

I think I should start learning norwegian as soon as possible now. I will be moving in August. I hope I will be able to pick up the language by then!

Thanks for your help :)

If you are from the European Union than it will be quite easy.  If you are not then the Tax Office can be a bit difficult.  In order to get a tax number you need a visa.  I am an American and was living in Norway for 5 years but since obtaining my British Citizenship it was easy.  Wait on the bank account for the moment.  If you do open a bank account and don't have a visa you won't be able to use your bank card on line...so no internet buying unfortunately.  So in short...try to obtain your visa.  If you are looking for work, have a decent CV (resume) written up and go to ALL the agencies you can find AND try to get into the GAS AND OIL Industry... names of companies are:
Shell
Statoil
BP
but all the large companies use agencies...get your foot in that way and make friends with the agents for they can be VERY useful.  I hope I have helped and good luck.

Thanks bluejeanswomen !

.I am coming on a student permit/visa so I think I will get part time work permit along with it.. Thanks for all the information. It is really useful :)