My thoughts on every day living in the Philippines

Actually, I have not had a bad time here in the Philippines, but there have been times of disappointments. These disappointments relate to issues of integrity and bonds of relationships. I have not written the Philippines off. I just need to go back to the United States and take my children to spend some time there and meet my family.

If one does retire in the Philippines, I would suggest that patience is indeed a virtue that would be beneficial in living here. There is no standard of time relevance when meeting with someone. Everything here is laid back. You pick and choose relationships that one would consider meaningful. As a foreigner, do not try to force your views, thoughts and opinions on others. Always be friendly, hospitable and slow to anger when things do not go as planned or as they would be in the western world. It behooves one to have relationships that are less intimate. I am NOT speaking of love relationships, just do not expect to be buddy buddy with either sex. Casual acquaintances are much more profitable mentally and financially. One maintains 'friendships" longer.

As far as intimate relationships with females, just be cautious AT ALL TIMES. If you plan to marry someone, know that you are marrying the family also. Familial bonds are much stronger here. It is better to marry someone that had very little family unless one is a person that likes big families and are willing to support them.

Electronics are not something you should buy in the Philippines. Find a shipping service (balikbayan in Filipino) to ship high end electronics. When buying appliances go to the retail stores and do a little research before making a purchase. Always ask about the warranty coverage.

Contractors are a bunch that one needs to watch closely. Do not take anything for granted, when negotiating prices and tasks that will be performed. Clear, precise details are a must, as well as observing all tasks of the workers. Even if one has a great experience with a contractor/maintenance man/technician the first time. Do not expect it every time. Always manage the scene to one's standards of excellence.

Not sure about people's eating habits, but depending where one desires to retire in the Philippines, food pricing will vary. If one desires seafood, then live near the southern islands for inexpensive meals. Anytime one lives in Manila, prices are way up, higher than the western world. But there are more varieties to choose from than if one lives in a provincial area. If one can cater to the native food, then that is greatly beneficial to overall living. There are many fruits and vegetables in the Philippines, but that would be a preference to the one retiring here.

All these things I have mentioned are not only from personal experiences but also from observations and first-hand accounts from others. I have lived here 10-years and it has its ups and downs, but if one keeps their expectations on a level of mediocrity, then one should be quite satisfied with living in the Philippines. There are many more things to say...but do not have the time or all my thoughts assembled.

Hello alltojah,

Thank you for the sharing of information and experience :)

I am sure the members of Expat.com will find this post very informative.

Please do not hesitate to participate on the various discussions on the forum.

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa

Excellent advice on relationships.

I agree with alltojah when he said that: "As a foreigner, do not try to force your views, thoughts and opinions on others."  You are a visitor. This is not your country. Be respectful.