Need advice on supplies shopping (food etc)

Hi people,

I need advice on shopping for kitchen, food supplies - you know, olive oil, bread, cheese, butter this that :

I noticed that in spain, there is a LOT of 'neatly packaged', small amount foodstuffs. For example, there are tiny glass jars of olive paste, which cost ~$1-1.5 eu. Or, flavored, spiced cheese in small packaging etc.

I have an understanding that anything that is in smaller packages is more expensive than anything that is sold in big bulk containers. Especially when they are neatly packaged - calculations i made also show them to be like more expensive, naturally.

But i also know from experience that in every country there is a brand or brands that produce good quality stuff that is sold in cheaper, bulk packages.

But since i dont know enough of spain yet, i dont know which brands are good for that purpose so that we can go and buy 15 liters of olive oil from one.

So i thought i should ask here, for there are sure people who have extensive experience in shopping stuff.

Thank you in advance for your advice !

Hi,

I'm from barcelona and I reccomend you for fresh food buy in you local 'mercat'. Before buying, just walk and walk and compare the products and their prices.
For supermarket things mercadona or liddl or caprabo are good ones. I buy my olive oil in bottles of 5 litres, since I'm very fussy with it I buy it in a local shop in Sants who brings it from a coop from Tarragona, so it's good stuff.
Look for local shops in your area speak to them (as a free spanish lesson) and you will get good things.

If you need more help, get back to me. It will be a pleasure to help you

My website: www.get2knowbcn.com

Maica Chacopino
(spanish tuition and relocation services)

You could do worse than try Lidl, or your local market.

It is definitely worth looking around and comparing.  My husband loves peanut butter, but I found it expensive in Mercadona (though I do most of my weekly shop there).  I found a small Halal shop which sells peanut butter in jars twice the size for about the same price.  They also do Quaker oats which I have not seen anywhere else so far.

hey how are u there? thanks for sharing this information i am in uganda kampala Africa.

Thank you for your advice.

Though, rather than WHERE to shop, i was more interested in learning the names of the brands which were both cheap and trustworthy.