Moving to Puerto Rico

Greetings!  My name is Aiden Stone and I'm a writer/author.  I'm planning to move to PR this coming June and I was told that I can get some really solid advice from this blog.  I'm from Colorado but I've lived around a bit but I'm going into semi-retirement and looking for something new.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated from any and all!  Thanks and peace on!

Welcome to Expat.com!
Let us know which information you need and we'll try our best to help.

Hi! I live in Rincon and have a good friend who is a writer and he has chosen Rincon to live. Living on the beach and having the ocean as a companion, finds this a excellent environment to write. He is renting at Pelican Reef which is quiet and on the ocean.

Thanks for the welcome Gary!  So many questions don't quite know where to start.  I was told that there are a few very inexpensive, long term apartments to be found. I've emailed a couple but no reply yet.  Also looking for a place to buy a cheap scooter or something like it.

Aiden

Yep... one of the many reasons I'm moving there. New environment, a place I've never been... has to get those creative things in my brain going! 

In your opinion, where is the least expensive place to reside?  Looking for long term apartment but I'm going to be on a tight budget for a while.  Since it's just me, I don't require a lot.

Your thoughts on this?

Aiden

Hi Aiden Stone - i invite you to post an advert in the Properties for rent in Puerto Rico section please as it might help :)

Hi Alden,
We have been in PR for about seven years. We bought a home way back in the bush without city services. Since it seems like you will need your time to write, I suggest you stay near or in a sizable city. Hear on the eastern side of the Island I would suggest Fajardo, Caguas or Humacao. Lots of people rent out small apts attached to their homes. Be prepared for very expensive electricity and make sure your flat can get liberty cable. They provide the best tv, internet services. If you are going to buy a car here be prepared to pay more than in the states and experience high registration costs. In your flat, check for hot water, it's not a given here. Check screens, amps coming into the flat, many places in PR are under powered and can play havoc with power hungry appliances and electronic equipment. Check the weather, know your rainy seasons and average temperatures. PR has mini eco-systems all through it. Although outback living is much prettier, it requires a lot of time to keep things operating well. A flat in a city should be a lot easier.

Greetings dolt201
Thanks for the information. I still haven't decided exactly where I want to be when I get there and while living near a city probably would be better for me on several levels, I think the less populated areas are more "come hither" to me. The main thing I'm concerned about is getting the basic essentials (food, soda pops, ciggies, that sort of thing, or a doctor if I need one). It's probably going to be a slight difficulty, I fear, to even hope for some sort of transportation to and from a grocery store from time to time unless I have my own transportation. I live in Ft Worth at the moment (down from Colorado) until I get ready to make my move and the city life is totally wearing on my sanity these days! And lastly in my considerations is the basic income I have to exist on while I'm working on getting more stuff published.

I've spoken with several awesome people who own/rent apartments etc in the more populated areas; the prices are right but I guess we'll see in a couple or three months.

If you or anyone has suggestions (and I certainly thank you for your info) please shoot 'em my way!!!!
Aiden

To me, Old San Juan is a very inspiring place to spend everyday. The architecture and feel of the place, especially in the morning when there are no crowds, or in the evening when there are bands playing live ballads, can be entrancing. The same goes for the colonial houses, many of which have open-air courtyards behind their street-front façades (as did the office where I worked). A private world within a world.