Just moved to Brazil, any mothers & kids meet up? Campinas or SP?

Hello all,

I'm Indonesian married to a German, recently moved to Sao Paulo after living in Bangkok, Thailand for the past 6 years.
We have just moved here for 2 weeks now.
Moved here because we needed a change from Thailand and my husband managed to find a job here.
So, no big relocations packages as some other expats. Just a young couple who has a dream to explore Brazil.

I don't speak Portuguese yet, so just starting to take private lessons.
I have an 8 months old daughter so, trying to explore the city needs a little more planning but very possible.
Overall, as I don't know anybody, I feel very lost in the city. I miss my family and friends.

We are now in a temporary apartment in Pinheiros.
We are currently looking for housing and trying to figure out which area to live.
It is a little tricky because my husband's office will be moving to Jundiai in June'14, so we are actually thinking whether to live in Sao Paulo or Campinas as our home.
Went to Jundiai, but decided that it's not the city for us.
Is there anybody here living in Campinas? Would love to hear your experience.
Or any of you works in Jundiai? If yes, which area do you live? Sao Paulo, Jundiai or Campinas? How's your commuting experience?

Is there any mothers and kids group meet-up in Sao Paulo or Campinas?
It would be really nice to find other people like me to meet up and do activities with kids.

I am so used to have good friends around, and would like to find some new people to hang out with.

I hope to hear from some people.

Thanks!

Hi Frikoz,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to browse through the living in Brazil guide which will surely provide you with some useful information.

Have a nice day and best of luck to you,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hi Frikoz,

Regarding where to live once your husband's office moves to Jundiaí, does he drive to work or take public transportation?

If he needs to rely on public transportation to get to work then it's going to be much better to continue living in the Metropolitan São Paulo area since he will be able to get to and from Jundiaí by CPTM trains or EMTU buses much more easily. Also, he'd be traveling in the opposite direction to the peak flow of passengers both going to work and coming back.

I don't know much about transportation to and from Campinas, but it might not be anywhere near as convenient.

I'd suggest looking for a house in the sleepy little town of Caieiras in the north of São Paulo (capital), it's not as rush-rush as São Paulo, has a lot of conveniences, rents will be lower and it's a short hop away from Jundiaí by CPTM or EMTU.

Hi wjwoodward,

Thank you so much for your advise.
We will check on Caieiras :-) and perhaps give a try on the train from somewhere down town, see how long it takes and how it is.
Much appreciated on your inputs.

Hi Hasnaa,
Thanks. Will check the guide out too.

Hi again Frikoz,

Do check out Caieiras, I'm sure you'll like it. It's in my opinion a very convenient "half-way point" that would still give you easy access to all the conveniences of downtown São Paulo while cutting the communte time to Jundiaí significantly.

If you do decide to settle there, I have a former student and good lady friend who lives there. She speaks English fluently and I know that you'd hit it off well with her. I'm sure that she would help you greatly in terms of fitting into the local society and be full of useful information about Caieiras and surroundings. She's quite involved in community service projects in Caieiras and Franco da Rocha through her job at Dow AgroSience so I'm sure she could also introduce you and your husband to many people.

Let me know if you do move there and I'll set up a meeting with her for you.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi Mbak, glad to know you are in SP!!
It's kinda hard to find Indonesian Community in Brazil. I tried to find it for the last couple months and ended up here today haha!!
I am going to stay in Porto Alegre for a year start in May for exchange program.
Friends told me that Porto Alegre has the biggest European Community in Brazil, especially Germans.
But it just the info that I got from friends, will check it out once I arrive later. Maybe it will be easier to get a job there, Who knows :-)
BTW I'd love to visit you if you don't mind and maybe we can explore the city together :-)
Need to find some Indonesian market and buy some favorite foods that I can't live without haha!

Keep in touch!! :-))

Hi Frikoz,
We are moving to Sao Paulo in a few weeks time. I have two kids, my youngest 'Poppy' has just turned 3. We will be living near where you are now. Let us know where you end up, and if you're still in the same vicinity then we can meet. We've been in Asia the past 7 years, so I'm a bit nervous about moving - but mostly excited!!!

Hi Frikoz

Seneng bisa baca tulisannya disini. I live in England and going to SP end of July 2014 for three weeks untuk study. I have an accommodation booked but I am wondering if I could contact you and perhaps others? untuk ngobrol-ngobrol. I have an aunt living in Bangkok (Tia Kungvankij) and I love Thailand too much!, we could talk about Thailand and food then.

Tolong bales dong. Terimakasih.
Jasmin

Hi Frikoz,
I was an expat in the US for 08 years but returned to Brazil in 2010. My whole family has been in Jundiai for generations but I must say the commuting is hard between Sao Paulo and Jundiai.
Jundiai is a great city to raise a family, great schools, clubs, parks and friendly people, but not many english speakers around. Weather is mildly cold in the winter and mildly hot during summer.
Campinas is a more metropolitan city, with some major universities and the commute to Jundiai would take no more than 30 min by car. There are great and convenient roads connecting the two cities.
Regarding the advice below about Caieiras, please disregard that since Caieiras in no way can be compared to Jundiai nor Campinas. Its a way below par city with security problems not to mention that is really ugly.

My wife and I went through the challenges of being an expat in a foreign country, so shoot us a note in case you or your husband need any help around the Jundiai or Campinas area finding a doctor or a dentist, or anything else.
Best of luck to you both.

Come on now Thomas, Caieras isn't all that bad!!! It's a conveniently located half-way point between downtown São Paulo and Campinas, easier to reach by public transportation you can get back and forth to downtown without having to switch trains if you go by CPTM and there is probably more frequent bus service between Caieras and São Paulo too.

I'm not trying to put Jundiaí down, it's also really a great city as you say. I suggested Caieiras because I felt it was more centrally located and also since the OP was looking to become involved in outreach programs of some kind and I have connections there in exactly that field. I agree the OP would probably like Jundiaí just as much.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

OMG, Pinky got herself banned even before I got to see her important message. Now I'm heartbroken!  :sosad:

Hi Nindy,

I have just sent you a message. Please check.
Thanks.

We decided to live in Sao Paulo at last, decided in the area near Vila Lobos.
Thank you all for the advice.

Good to hear you've gotten settled in, Vila Lobos is a very convenient area to live in. You'll like it.

Hey,

congrats on your new place.

Going back to your first question, I've attended many meetings here in Brazil, but never found a specific for kids.

Maybe that's just an opportunity to create one more focused on that.

But for now, I can say for sure, there are two ways of making expatriates friends here.

Attending to a Couch surf meeting and a Otto bistro meeting.

Those two places have always lot's of expatriates trying to make friends.

The couch surf one happens every tuesday, starting at 19h, on August street, near avenidada paulista.

The other will happen on september 11. Near consolação.

If you want to come to Ottto Bistro meeting let me know.

my email is ***

Go with your husband since the owner/chef is a german herself.

Have a good one.

@Frikoz

Hello dear,

I am also new to the city and we live in Pinheiros with our little son who just turned 1. There are many activities in the area for the babies and kids. Please let me know if you'd like to meet up or get some more information.

Best Regards,

Bella

@Bella_Mathias

Hello and welcome Bella !

Please note that this is an old thread and that member has been inactive for the past 9 years ....

I would suggest that you start a thread of your own on the Sao Paulo forum so that members can reach out to you.

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna

omg i thought it was from 2024 not 2014 :))) sorry and thanks!