Cost Of Living In Thailand

My lady and I are thinking about maybe going to Thailand for two months on our next stay in the Philippines.Between October/14 and end of April/15
We live in Manila during those months and it is costing approx. $1,800.00us per month.
Can anyone tell me what the approx. costs would be to live there for only two months.

Thank you for any feedback,

The cost of living in a place are substantially different from the cost of visiting (i.e. just a few weeks or months).
And in any case, expenses greatly depend on your lifestyle expectation and spending choices:
You could stay in a $200/night hotel or a $10/night flophouse (even less outside of Bangkok), you can eat at $2/meal streetstalls or $100 restaurants (more with wine), you can take the train to Chiang Mai (12-16hrs, $10 for a third class seat) or fly / rent a car.
Your question is too vague to give any more meaningful answer!

When I was in Thailand I spent a few hundred baht a day.

For better vision you can post this in Thailand Forum....

Hi Dreal1,

Your post was moved on the Thailand forum to maximise your chances of having some information from members of Expat.com living there.

For better guidance, it would be much appreciated if you could give us some details regarding your stay in Thailand. Are you going to rent a flat? What are your plans for these two months?

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

We all need, want different things, so what it cost to stay here is up to people.

But hotel or guesthouse around 800-1200 baht pr day, some include breakfast, some donŽt.
Food from street 35-50 baht for 1 potion, and price go up after what you want, where you go and eat.
Best food here (for me) is the street food, the small street shop and so on.

Then come entertainment and here one can spend a lot of baht.
Is a to big issue to say what one use XXX-XXXX bahr pr day. Only you know this.

Hope you have a good time here.

Dreal1 wrote:

My lady and I are thinking about maybe going to Thailand for two months on our next stay in the Philippines.Between October/14 and end of April/15
We live in Manila during those months and it is costing approx. $1,800.00us per month.
Can anyone tell me what the approx. costs would be to live there for only two months.

As others have pointed out it really depends on what you want.
$1800 US is about 50,000 + Baht. My wife and I have a good lifestyle on much less than that a month BUT we are not tourists and don't live in hotels.
Best accomodation for you in my opinion would be striking a deal with a guest house on a monthly basis. Most will give you a decent price. Maybe around 500 Baht a night which will get rid of 15,000 baht of your money, leaving a fair bit for other things.

thetefldon wrote:
Dreal1 wrote:

$1800 US is about 50,000 + Baht. My wife and I have a good lifestyle on much less than that a month BUT we are not tourists and don't live in hotels.
Best accomodation for you in my opinion would be striking a deal with a guest house on a monthly basis. Most will give you a decent price. Maybe around 500 Baht a night which will get rid of 15,000 baht of your money, leaving a fair bit for other things.

I thank you very much for your information yours as been the best help so far.
I realize I didn't word my first message very well but I think most people kind of understand what I am trying to find out.

And Yes I totally understand the amount of money needed for the different living standards that people live. And I have said that here in Manila we live I would say fairly average on $1,800.00.
What i am trying to do is kind of get a feel on what the general cost are in that country.

Dreal1 wrote:
thetefldon wrote:
Dreal1 wrote:

I thank you very much for your information yours as been the best help so far.
I realize I didn't word my first message very well but I think most people kind of understand what I am trying to find out.

And Yes I totally understand the amount of money needed for the different living standards that people live. And I have said that here in Manila we live I would say fairly average on $1,800.00.
What i am trying to do is kind of get a feel on what the general cost are in that country.

Glad to help. Not wishing to appear to teach you "to suck eggs" but away from the tourist areas Thailand is a very different country to in them. Not least the costs. The coastal area south of Hua Hin is worth exploring around Prachuap Khiri Khan. Inland, Kanchanaburi, the mountains of Loei and several national parks in the central region North of Bangkok are also worth a visit.

Not sure what you fancy but I would personally avoid Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin and Samui. Koh Chang on the other hand is a very pleasant island.

You should not have a problem living on $1800 dollars a month depending on your lifestyle.  Check the link below for a bit more info on cost of living.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … y=Thailand

If you are only coming for a couple of months, I think your best bet would be to look for a short-term condo rental or long-term guesthouse.  You certainly shouldn't have to pay more than 500 baht a night. 1800 is plenty to live on per month if you don't spend too much on "wining and dining" on a regular basis.

Seeing that we are fairly close and After doing more research and watching videos on thailand I think the best thing for us to do is next time i am back to the Philippines fly there from Manila and only spend two weeks travelling around and staying in different resorts.
So when we decide when we will try this trip ,I will be definitly be asking than on some advise on places to see and stay.

Thank you for all your info.
Réal D

chinacanuck wrote:

If you are only coming for a couple of months, I think your best bet would be to look for a short-term condo rental or long-term guesthouse.  You certainly shouldn't have to pay more than 500 baht a night. 1800 is plenty to live on per month if you don't spend too much on "wining and dining" on a regular basis.

I agree, look into maybe Airbnb or a short term sublet.

It will really depend on your lifestyle. Thailand can be expensive or reasonable to live in. The best advice really is to embrace and learn to live with what Thailand has to offer, stay away from all the western goods that you have at home use local. Know what your budget is and work with it.

A monthly contract with a condo out of the touristy areas should only set you back 8000- 12000baht a month. Food should be fairly affordable if you eat simple, keeping the five dining to once a week. Expect at least 50 - 70 baht average for a meal. Over here you can eat lots of fruits and it will do wonders to your body! Transportation depends but definitely cheap if you travel like the locals. If you're open minded and careful.. Usd1800 can go very far.

I don't know which part of Thailand you were in, but in and around Bangkok you need to at least double the prices you mention - and local transport requires Thai language skills in most places, so you'll have to take taxis (at foreigner price) at least occasionally.

Taxi at Foreigner price ?

Taxi drive is on the meter mate, well 99.9% of the  taxi do, it is really no a problem at all, if fix price, say no, 5 sek later take next taxi on the meter.
All so Taxi, Bus, mini van, sky train, underground and all the i others option, is all good way for transport. No need for speaking Thai to use any of them.

Price for food like ghgoh123 write is spot on i think, Wife and i eat a lot in the Bangkok area, for 2 people this Thursday we pay 97 baht for food for 2, 1 cola, 1 ice tea. (Near victory monument), at a food shop on the street to sit and eat.

Here in Nonthaburi where we live, i buy food for us Friday at the street food shop (no option to eat at shop, have to take home) for us to eat at dinner / evening 135 baht total price, yes we cook our rice our self on top of that..

Have a nice Saturday all out there.

Kindly.

Well, that is different from my experience
Ever tried to find a taxi using the meter in the centre of Bangkok? If a driver does, he will be beaten up by the Tuk-Tuk mafia!
I lived in Rangsit for a year, and there an edible meal at a sit-down place (not a greasy plate of noodles of dubious provenance at a street stall, with the main protein content being bugs) was at least THB100-120. It was also impossible to find the bus or mini van from there to Ayutthaya on my own, until I learned to read it in Thai (and even then, many buses are wrongly or not marked). The BTS and Metro are excellent, just too little for the huge city (and the tickets cost almost Western prices).