Obtain Maltese citizenship through investment

Hello everyone.

Good news for foreign investors in Malta. You can now obtain the Maltese citizenship through investment in the country. In fact, the government of Malta has recently launched the Individual Investment Program which entitles you, as well as your family members, to the Maltese citizenship. However, conditions apply and you must have lived in the country for at least 12 months.

We have just added an article in the life in Malta guide to this effect. You can read it here. Do not hesitate to share any interesting piece of information on this discussion, and to post your comments.

Good luck!  ;)

Regards,
Veedushi
Team

Hi Veedushi,

your quoted article gives a residency period of 12 months and not 'living in Malta for 6 months'.

The applicant has to provide proof of residency although the procedure is not exactly defined yet. Applicants will be named and subject to scrutiny.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky. I've just made necessary corrections.

Regards,
Veedushi  :)

Frankly I find the thought of 'any' country selling off its identity (for whatever reason) totally abhorrent.

But in a country where you could buy your own utility rate and be sanctioned by the government why should you not be allowed to buy anything else, including a passport?

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

But in a country where you could buy your own utility rate and be sanctioned by the government why should you not be allowed to buy anything else, including a passport?

Cheers
Ricky

I sincerely hope that that was said with tongue firmly in cheek Ricky. I'm far from being a xenophobe, however, it is totally immoral that a small body of people can decide that their national identity is worthless and can be put up for sale. Not only do I find this action crass but it is a totally cowardly thing to do in the hope (for that is all it is at the moment) of a few extra quid in the coffers- and I would suggest that they would be set to gain personally, financially, as well.

Where does this all end eh? I'm reminded of Johann Georg Faust.

But hey........that's only my opinion.

Cheers

Mike

I thought politics was to be avoided on here but we should not forget that many countries have similar schemes and have had for some time, including the UK. Some with and some without a residence requirement.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Malta sold it's soul to the devil when it joined the EU.

danno wrote:

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Malta sold it's soul to the devil when it joined the EU.

Then why do you want to come here?

I want to come there and i will be there soon because i am maltese.

I have my opinion regarding whether malta should have or should have not joined the EU. I  am sure not all the maltese are happy about it. Malta to me is always malta regardless.

Other countries, sunny, nice EU countries have plans to do the same. People complained when you could just buy citizenship, now an investment clause is also available, bringing money into the country also.
Malta doesn't want to lose out on all that potential money and I don't blame them.
Don't get me wrong. I am actually quite angry about it...My children that were born here can never be citizens but random people with money, can!

As I stated previously, there are many countries in the EU that already do this. Malta is just doing the same. However, it is a very controversial issue that seems to have polarised opinion here and other countries leaders are being hypocritical in objecting to Malta doing this.

I have no special opinion about "selling" a citizenship.
But in my case, I don't even feel having one anymore.
I'm Belgian and if you ask me I only feel like being "from Brussels".

But then Belgium is a weird country made of 3 different cultures...
Nationality is really something I don't care about.

My response to this was not driven by politics but of my own personal moral standards - Greed, is indeed, a very serious wickedness (for that is all it is). Further, what we see in the UK and US is the scheme of obtaining a visa, which is quite different.

It's pleasing to see that more than half of the Maltese are opposed to this action and I believe that the leader of the PN has declared that he would revoke any passports issued this way if he were to return to power.

I live by my standards (it is not a holier-than-thou syndrome) and I still believe that it is immoral and not right...... regardless if it's just another way of jumping on the 'gravy train'.

My two penn'orth

Cheers

(Saint) Michael

The British equivalent, the Tier 1 (Investor) visa programme, assesses applicants on the basis of their ability "to invest £1,000,000 in the UK". Foreign investors who hold £10m of their money here can apply for permanent residence after two years living in the country.  The Guardian Dec 13.

About 20 countries operate similar systems. In the US, Immigrant Investor Visas are awarded to foreign nationals who invest $1m in the economy and create 10 full-time jobs for US citizens within two years of arrival. Those who do so are awarded permanent residence and, after three more years, can apply for full citizenship.

The European schemes tend to be more lenient. Greece, Cyprus and Macedonia offer fast-track resident permits for foreign investors who spend a minimum of €250,000 to €400,000 (£210,000 to £335,000) in the country. Spain grants a residency visa to foreign buyers who spend €500,000 (£418,000) or more on Spanish property, though the wait for permanent residency and EU citizenship is five years.

The major beneficiaries of such schemes are the Chinese global rich. Since October last yea, 318 residence permits have been issued in Portugal to foreign property buyers who spent over €500,000. Of these, 248 went to Chinese nationals; 15 went to Russians, and nine each to Angolans and Brazilians.

I read that in the Guardian as well Mick........shocking figures just to buy a Visa. The hurdles still have to be jumped as after that particular time period they are invited to apply for the next stage.

I perhaps still harbour strong feelings of pride in my country and my nation (I am a proud Englishman and a proud Briton) and maybe the world is changing a wee bit too fast for me. It's a birthright that some greedy politician is putting up for sale without asking permission of the owners.

Anyway, I think my feelings are quite clear on this, I know it's not totally my business but I do feel an affinity to those who oppose it (as does Rose) but I still wonder, after the dust has settled on this one, whatever will be next.

Mike

As you said Mick. The leader of the PN declared that he would revoke any passports issued this way if they were to return to power. But what the PN didn't say was they were the ones that gave malta to the foreigners in the first place.

It should be clarified that much of what is written in the article hasn't been passed by parliament but are amendments still being discussed.

The scheme as passed by parliament a few months ago has no residence requirements or property requirements,  merely a payment for Citizenship

redmik wrote:

The British equivalent, the Tier 1 (Investor) visa programme, assesses applicants on the basis of their ability "to invest £1,000,000 in the UK". Foreign investors who hold £10m of their money here can apply for permanent residence after two years living in the country.  The Guardian Dec 13.

About 20 countries operate similar systems. In the US, Immigrant Investor Visas are awarded to foreign nationals who invest $1m in the economy and create 10 full-time jobs for US citizens within two years of arrival. Those who do so are awarded permanent residence and, after three more years, can apply for full citizenship.

The European schemes tend to be more lenient. Greece, Cyprus and Macedonia offer fast-track resident permits for foreign investors who spend a minimum of €250,000 to €400,000 (£210,000 to £335,000) in the country. Spain grants a residency visa to foreign buyers who spend €500,000 (£418,000) or more on Spanish property, though the wait for permanent residency and EU citizenship is five years.

The major beneficiaries of such schemes are the Chinese global rich. Since October last yea, 318 residence permits have been issued in Portugal to foreign property buyers who spent over €500,000. Of these, 248 went to Chinese nationals; 15 went to Russians, and nine each to Angolans and Brazilians.

Interesting that despite these schemes people like Mohamed Al-Fayed are still unable to obtain  a British passport.
Despite living in the UK for years and investing millions in the country, he has applied twice and been rejected both times .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7248639.stm

Terry

George, I thought one of the issues being debated was either a 6 month or 12 month residency requirement?
Mind you what I read also stated that there was no need to actually be on the islands for that time.  :unsure

tearnet wrote:

Interesting that despite these schemes people like Mohamed Al-Fayed are still unable to obtain  a British passport.
Despite living in the UK for years and investing millions in the country, he has applied twice and been rejected both times .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7248639.stm

Terry

And here's me thinking it had something to do with Princess Diana and Al-Fayed's son.

redmik wrote:

George, I thought one of the issues being debated was either a 6 month or 12 month residency requirement?
Mind you what I read also stated that there was no need to actually be on the islands for that time.  :unsure

the proposal from the government is 6 months in 12, but as you say, their proposed definition of residency is not as high as it could be.

However, what is currently law involves no residency at all

Its important to bear in mind all this public discussion is coming after the law was passed, a law that was never mentioned in the PL manifesto during last years general election. What is now happening is discussions about how to modify a law that was rushed through with little concern for the views of the Maltese population, or indeed the EU, , which legally was correct, but morally bankrupt.

Dear All,

Please note that some off topic posts were removed.

Let's get back to the title of the thread which is Obtain Maltese citizenship through investment.

Thank you,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

danno wrote:

As you said Mick. The leader of the PN declared that he would revoke any passports issued this way if they were to return to power. But what the PN didn't say was they were the ones that gave malta to the foreigners in the first place.

It's Mike...........not Mick

...........and everything you said after that has no bearing to the subject heading. Please keep on topic as Hasnaa has asked.

So, in that vein, I still feel it is wrong to offer this for sale without consulting the populous.

Mike

Thank you Hasnaa. Have you deleted that troll's account?