Moving to Caribbean

Hi everyone. I am in depserate need of help!!!

I am currently dating a man from Jamaica and we have been together for a year. We decided that we need to be together but I am in Canada and he is in Jamaica. 

I have been looking for work in Jamaica and have not had any luck. We figured that the only way for us to be together was to both get jobs in the Caymans, or barbados.

Does anyone have any advice at all, any feedback, any other suggested locations to move to maybe? 

We have thought about him coming here but I have sent about 100 resumes out for him and have gotten no positive response. The problem being that he needs a visa and work permit to work in Canada and there are not any companies who are willing to do that for him.

Thanks so much,

Confused & helpless Canadian

It kind of depends on your field of expertise...if your a banker, the Caymans are a good possility, doctor, nurse or teacher, you could probably go anywhere, but each island will have different requirements....I don't know if that helps, but what do you do? Either of you?

Well, I am working in the interior design industry and he is the resident landscaper and pool attendant on a Villa in Jamaica!!?!?! I know the Caymans are big on banking and financial positions....Do you happen to know anything about Barbados? Or any other island?

Not much...I would contact the individual embassies about the entry requirements...it sounds like both of you could get work in Barbados...ask them what you have to do.

Thank you!!!

Hi OneLove...

I don't know what you decided to do...but you are right on track with the Cayman Islands...

Jamaicans and Canadians are in the top 5 for work permit holders...there are thousands of Jamaicans and Canadians here.

I am Canadian...i have had jamaican roommates...coworkers...friends...jamaicans hold the most work permits of any country.

You both need to be applying for jobs...apply for jobs on line...don't move to Cayman and look for work...you are not allowed to be in the country while your permit is being reviewed...so coming here before you have a job is a waste of money.

The most jobs i have seen online would be on cjmembersonly.com
Friends of mine have used this site and got jobs, but I can't say if it will work for you.

Good luck with your move...I love living in the Cayman Islands!

Wendy