Thinking about moving to malta

im thinking of moving to malta, to live and work, with my disabled mum and dog. i would want a job, doing anything but something that could support us to live, any advice would be really apreciated...

it wont be for a few years atleast as i do not have the money to move yet...

i am very hard working and adaptable and dont mind hard work!!

i do not have alot of work experience as i live in a tiny village at the moment and its hard to find work near me.. also due to an injury i have been unable to look for a while.

i worked at argos for the chritmas period, about 3 months but nothing else unfotunately and i LOVE to keep busy so working is right up my alley!

thankyou in advance!

My personal opinion is that depending upon the extent of your mother's disability, I would seriously reconsider your plan. Malta is not the place for the disabled, particularly wheelchair users. If you have never visited before, I would strongly suggest you do so before finalising any plans. If you have visited then you will know how poor it is is regarding facilities and access for the disabled.

she is not in a wheel chair but she uses a stick to walk, she has rheumatoid arthritis and degenerative disk disease along with osteoporosis.. could you recommend any other countries? thanks

tbh, I'd stay in the UK.

I don't want to stay in the uk. I appreciate your opinion but my life here is terrible! I have zero friends and nothing to stay for.. I want to experience life rather than just have to live it.

I can empathise with your ambitions but in practical terms and considering the needs of your mother, short and long term, that is my opinion based upon what very little I know of you or your mother.
But hey! Don't let me put you off. I am sure many others here will have differing opinions and I do not know you or your mother. I am not a doctor either so I cannot advise you one way or the other. I can only express an opinion. Perhaps others can advise you?

Well her needs aren't exactly met here, she has different medications but with health insurance i imagine it wont be a problem.

We both hate it here and the only reason we are staying is because of my nan but as soon as she dies (obviously I don't want her to, there's no nice way of saying it) were out of here! We are physically and emotionally fed up of here, I suffer with depression and I think most of it is because I do not feel safe, welcome or at home here, not even in my own bed. It is something that plagues me daily. People here really aren't so pleasant towards me or mum and I've been refused jobs because of not being friends with certain families - not officially but that's the real reason. It's rediculous id like a fresh start where I can stop looking over my shoulder for someone with a knife. I live in a tiny village not a city with a lot of crime too so that's worse. There is graffiti about me all over the nearest town and I didn't do anything to deserve it. I'm not a saint but the only reason things like that started happening is because someone I was friends with ordered me to be In a relationship that I didn't want to be in - which is my choice. So everyone turned against me. I'm not just moaning fr the sake of moaning an i do really apreciate your opinion but these are the facts of my life here, and this is why I want to get out. I live a few doors away from people that have actually came I to my house and threatened me without me even lettin them in. That was a few years ago and because they didn't physically do anything the police wouldn't get involved.. It's tough for me. It has been the last 5 years that my life has gone down hill, I left school and everything changed. I just want to belong somewhere and Malta seems like somewhere I could be happy, :/

I'm getting advise from a lot of people. It is all contradicting. But I've never wanted anything before because I was scared of being let down - I'm actually a very patio mate person an if I set my heart on something I will make it happen. And I actually want this but I'm just tryin to figure it all put before I set my heart on it x

Unless anyone else comes in on this I suggest we discuss by pm.
Be careful how much personal stuff you put out in public.

Hi toni,

I tend to agree with redmik but without knowing more details it is hard to make any valid recommendation.

There are many things to consider like : How will you finance your life in Malta? How is your health insurance coverage and especially  your mother's.? And many other questions!

From your initial information it sounds as if it is going to be very difficult to leave the UK. And with other countries? Which foreign languages do you speak?

Cheers
Ricky

It wouldn't be hard to leave the uk. It would be a blessing!! I'm not expecting to move for years yet so I know I have a lot to figure out :) I'm not sure what kind of information you would want so if you message me specific questions privately And I'll answer them.

I plan to save money before going and working whilst there to support us. We don't have health insurance atm because of the NHS but we would get it sorted out ... I don't speak other languages.. We've looked at other contries and none seem to draw us in..

Thanks

Read my first post on the link below for information, especially health and requirements to satisfy regarding residence. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705

so why choose malta  - as you havent been here either  -  so what do you think the attraction is?

sounds harsh but its not meant to be

This is just my opinion but it seems that your problem is within your local community so moving abroad is a desperate step.
Consider moving out of your area to an area within the UK where you can get a new start and new opportunities.
Its something that you can do now and not have waste years dreaming about.
You must be positive about life and make your mind up to do something  do-able not something that is a distant dream.
Its your life and its direction is in your hands not in the hands of social media or graffiti writers!

Good luck,
               Terry

Hi Toni,

that leaves you several years to make preparations and save. Read through all the topics referring to moving to Malta.

Make sure that you are entitled to health care treatment , either private or through the NHS, as there is no real free health care in Malta just based on residency. That goes for all foreign countries. And it will be impossible to find affordable private health insurance with pre-existing conditions.

'We don't have health insurance because of the NHS' ? But you do have coverage through the NHS? That can be transferred to Malta if you are entitled and fulfill the conditions that apply.

Ricky

It's not just the community - I don't like livin in the uk. I'd rather have a fresh start in a new country than stay here - there's a lot of reasons for wanting to move, that was just my current situation..

Malta just seems to be somewhere that I could have a life .. I don't know. It's just something that has stuck in my head

I have read the stuff in the link - very helpful thankyou!

The reason for it being years before I will move is because my nan relies on us - moving within the uk is not an option yet so I may as well save up for a better life :)

It may not seem like a smart idea or whatever but I want the adventure an the opurtunities to work abroad... Do I think it's best if I do it in one big go.

If your mother is over UK retirement age and receives her State pension she will be entitled to full health care by virtue of the S1 certificate as per the post I linked above. If not both you and she will receive limited health care by virtue of the Reciprocal health Care Agreement, again as explained in that post.
Also, unless a certain procedure is gone through, known as Schedule V (5) then all your medication you will have to pay for, except emergency situations etc.
As EU citizens you are entitled to live and work here but Malta has its own way of interpreting some EU Laws and Regulations and there may be some frustrating processes for you to have to go through.

Terry has made some very good comments (imo) and Toon has also asked a very good question.
I do not want to seem to be putting you off or trying to undermine your dreams, far from it.
However, the practicalities need to be given serious consideration and realities have to be faced.
Then, you can overcome them. One question, do you think your mother will cope with the heat in summer and the relative cold and damp in the winter given her rheumatoid arthritis?
I always say to anyone 'never let the weeds grow over your dreams' but don't end up in a worse situation.
Your actions have to be measured to meet realistic dreams.

Yeah I gathered. She's 52, so not pension age yet. She will be having a word with the necessary parties eg job centre/benefits and things when she can.

Oh, thankyou Ricky.. Yes we are entitled to Nhs treatment - so am I as I'm not working at the moment (due to an injury) It's all do do with benefits though isn't it?

Like I said - we will look into all the details when we can :)

Yes, we think she will cope with it - she's a trooper!! The initial change will get us both but we will adjust, we can adapt

You really do need to visit, first.

I know I do, at the moment I'm saving up to visit. I have an injury to my ankle that is making me unable to walk so I'm just doing recearch and stuff like this until I can come an see for myself. I'm not going to commit to anything without having stayed there

Hope it works out for you and you find somewhere you can be happy

Yes I know, and as for supporting ourselves I will be looking for a job there and I don't even mind if I had to work 2 jobs at some point.. Id be happy to just get the opurtunity - i am going to be saving up too, when my ankle has healed I will be looking for a job here and putting the majority of that money away too. I know it's not going to be easy but I'm not running before I can walk so to speak, a lot of people have been very helpful an i really do apreciate it but I'm not just thinking I can get there an get a job I will make sure I have plent of money to support us until I find a job (or jobs) like I said, I'm willing to do anything and completely open to working 2 jobs.. I'm willing to do anything job wise.. Other than medication we have very basic needs and don't mind if we are just surviving for a while we don't eat out or anything.. I know I will have to visit and check it out, and get scamp (my dog) a pet passport an I know I may have to offer more money to rent with him, and as for the streets, she can walk quite capably but not without a stick, steps can be an issue but only when there's lots in one go... She may be able to work part time when we are there but we are not sure because she's unfit for work because i her medication and the job centre keep trying to get her a job :S so we aren't sure about that yet. But we are going to look into everything. As I've said, it will be years yet as my nan relies on us.. (There's no nice way to say this but it's not meant to be bad. Obvs I don't want this to happen) but we wont be moving until she has died as it wouldn't be fair on her. So I know that it will be a while yet which gives us lots of time to prepare save organise and figure everything out.. Not being able to walk at the moment gives me plenty of time to recearch and I got fed up of google not giving me what I was looking for so I turned to here and facebook to people that have already done it. Hoping id get some job advise really... I do not have much experience unfortunately as finding work in and around my village.. We have a shop and a pub. I've been applying at both since I was 14 but since they are so small they have all the staff they need.. My experience is 3 months at Argos as a customer service assistant.. When I've been out of work I've been caring for my mum and nan whilst job searching..

Thanks

Hi toni,

I might have missed out something in this discussion but are you .....seriously .... considerering that someone .....your mother ....at the age of 52 ....with rheumatoid arthiritis and degenerative disk disease along with osteoprosis and being disabled and not finding part-time work in the UK will be able to find work in Malta?

And that you yourself  ......with 3 months work experience at Argos ..... willing to work two jobs in Malta ( it will be hard enough to find one !) think that you can support yourself and your disabled mother here in Malta?

As someone else said - sort out your problems in the UK and don't even think about adding on more by coming to Malta.

That's all I can say and won't be answering any more posts on this topic.

I wish you all the best in solving your problems.

Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi toni,

I might have missed out something in this discussion but are you .....seriously .... considerering that someone .....your mother ....at the age of 52 ....with rheumatoid arthiritis and degenerative disk disease along with osteoprosis and being disabled and not finding part-time work in the UK will be able to find work in Malta?

And that you yourself  ......with 3 months work experience at Argos ..... willing to work two jobs in Malta ( it will be hard enough to find one !) think that you can support yourself and your disabled mother here in Malta?

As someone else said - sort out your problems in the UK and don't even think about adding on more by coming to Malta.

Ricky

Just looked at Police.uk for the crime stats and Retford had 125 reported crimes in December whereas my home town (Wigan) had 1189 (Poulton, where I live, had 127 reported)............I know Retford and it is positively a very sleepy hollow............if you think that it's better abroad you are very much mistaken.

I agree with Ricky, and as such this is my advice (not opinion as is the 'buzz' word of the moment), try Australia as they have a culture more akin to what you are used to.

Cheers

Mike

MikeInPoulton wrote:
ricky wrote:

Hi toni,

Ricky

Just looked at Police.uk for the crime stats and Retford had 125 reported crimes in December whereas my home town (Wigan) had 1189 (Poulton, where I live, had 127 reported)............I know Retford and it is positively a very sleepy hollow............if you think that it's better abroad you are very much mistaken.

I agree with Ricky, and as such this is my advice (not opinion as is the 'buzz' word of the moment), try Australia as they have a culture more akin to what you are used to.

Cheers

Mike

Hate to say this but I think the more mature amongst us will admit that Malta is not the place to be in the winter months as it's bitterly cold, right through to the bones.  Two winter duvets and a blanket, just to keep warm, and getting dressed to go to bed !!

Chardor wrote:

Hate to say this but I think the more mature amongst us will admit that Malta is not the place to be in the winter months as it's bitterly cold, right through to the bones.  Two winter duvets and a blanket, just to keep warm, and getting dressed to go to bed !!

Have to say, never been that cold though I agree we dress for the winter. It's all to do with relative temperatures and humidity.

I returned to live here after 41 years in London & Sydney & I regret it every hour I'm here.
there is little good to say about Malta & given the health problems I will NOT move here.

redmik wrote:
Chardor wrote:

Have to say, never been that cold though I agree we dress for the winter. It's all to do with relative temperatures and humidity.

First winter here, will know better for this year!