Goroka Papua New Guinea Safe or Not.. what about the diseases ?

Dear All,
I Got a Job offer in Goroka, papua  new guinea..Can any one please help me about the location regarding safety and security and about health issue...

Advance in thanks...

avijit.majumder wrote:

Dear All,
I Got a Job offer in Goroka, papua  new guinea..Can any one please help me about the location regarding safety and security and about health issue...

Advance in thanks...

Hi avijit
Welcome to Expat.com. Could you please introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself. 
What sort of work will you be doing in PNG.

Goroka is the capital of the eastern highlands of PNG. The climate is temperate, cool at night with a defined wet season. 
Like all of PNG as an expat you have to be aware of safety. Be careful when using an ATM.
Never wander around by yourself at night.
Never flash money around, never wear fancy jewelry.

Is your employer offering accommodation. If so make sure it is safe and secure with guards. 

There is a reasonable hospital in Goroka but make sure your employer gives you full medical insurance cover.

I suggest you do some online research about PNG and Goroka.

Thanks for your reply...
I Got a offer from Olam International which is a coffee manufacturer, Employer is providing full furnished accommodation along with Car & driver.
I have already tried to do search online about PNG & Goroka but not getting enough information. Also got  little information that people of there are facing problem with malaria, Aids and other several other problem related to health for that i am little curious and want to know whether it is safe in-terms of Health, security & safety. Please share your experience..

Thanks..

avijit.majumder wrote:

Thanks for your reply...
I Got a offer from Olam International which is a coffee manufacturer, Employer is providing full furnished accommodation along with Car & driver.
I have already tried to do search online about PNG & Goroka but not getting enough information. Also got  little information that people of there are facing problem with malaria, Aids and other several other problem related to health for that i am little curious and want to know whether it is safe in-terms of Health, security & safety. Please share your experience..

Thanks..

You will need to take anti malaria medication. Wear long sleeve shirts and trousers at night when outdoors and use a good insect repellent. 
There is AIDS in PNG so don't sleep with the locals.
I have mentioned safety and security in my last post.