The other side of the Sri lankan postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Sri Lanka, how would you describe the two sides of your Sri lankan postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

I have also been considering Sri Lankan and would like to know the other side.

Palms, splendid beaches,  amazing landscape,  waterfalls, interesting temples, smiling people this is the tourist postcard and my one during the last 25 years ....
I leave here now 1 1/2 years and Try to support the growth of this country,  did we found reliable partners, welcoming people to start to think at thinks differently, fair  regulations and support  for foreign investors, proper regulations for house/appartments owners ..... very very difficult situation for expats not to be cheated ... Feel free to contact me for more precise informations.

Good climate, palm trees, ocean, fruit, smiles on people's faces. But not very much trust these smiles! Particularly in the south of the island, the beach areas. I have some experience in dealing with issues related to fraud and deceit of foreigners in Sri Lanka. Beware!

Tell us more about the difficult situation for expats not to be cheated

Sweetlanka what has been you experience in dealing with fraud and cheating of foreigners?

ChristopherHH wrote:

Sweetlanka what has been you experience in dealing with fraud and cheating of foreigners?

Thats right. Please explain us what were the bad situations you faced in Sri Lanka!!
I have to add, bad people are everywhere in the world. I am so sad that If you had to face with a bad situation with bad people, but you can not decide and categorize all the county's people are alike. You can not say "always a deceitful Sri Lankan under a beautiful smile" :)

Where ever you go, you have to be very wise when dealing with people in a new country, Sweetlanka.I have seen SOME foreign girls are roaming with some local beach-boys. So we can not give a gurrunttee for her pocket. But by this we can not tell ALL foreign girls are coming here for that. Many foreigners travel here or live here with respect and we locals are bound to give that respect to our visitors. This country is famous for  its hospitality.