Moving to Dubai soon!

Moving from Seattle to Dubai within a month or so and looking for elementary school and middle schools that are good. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, any recommendations on where to rent a villa or apartment for a family of 5 for under 150K?  Are there any areas to avoid? Looking for a safe place where kids can play outside and ride bikes, etc. Also, it seems like shipping our household items is going to be very expensive...is it easy to buy used/preowned furniture there? If so, is there a website like craigslist.com that is popular? Also, any discount stores for children's clothing...comparable to Target, Old Navy, etc?  Or should I pay the extra and ship from the US?  I am so grateful for any advice. Thanks, Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

All kind of Schools:
http://www.khda.gov.ae/en/news/khdanews.aspx?Category=3

All kind of used stuffs
www.souq.com

All kind of properties:
http://www.gnads4u.com/properties

Hope these will help you a lot.

Rgds,

Thanks for your help!

Hi Jennifer,

First of all welcome to the Dubai forum on Expat.com! :)

I'm also coming to Dubai next month ;) but already have some experience of life over there! So I'll try to give you some useful tips.

SeattleJennifer wrote:

....Also, any recommendations on where to rent a villa or apartment for a family of 5 for under 150K?  Are there any areas to avoid?
Looking for a safe place where kids can play outside and ride bikes, etc.

First of all, I would recommend finding accomodation not too far from working area if possible (traffic is really hectic in Dubai and I would really recomment that your first purchase would be a GPS with Dubai map as there is continued road works going on!).

Secondly, knowing you have kids, I'd recommend you rent in a compound as these are safe areas for the kids: they can play outside, often there is a pool in the compound as well as playground areas!

You could start by having a look at the Accomodation section of Dubai Classifieds.

Also, it seems like shipping our household items is going to be very expensive...is it easy to buy used/preowned furniture there?
If so, is there a website like craigslist.com that is popular?

Depending on how long you intend to stay in Dubai, there is another solution: rent the furniture! If interested, I can send you some info on this sort by private message [promoting commercial websites is not allowed on the forum :) ]
Or you might eventually find furnished accomodation although nowadays it is not so much practised anymore in Dubai.
We also have a Buy and Sell section in Dubai Classifieds.

Also, any discount stores for children's clothing...comparable to Target, Old Navy, etc?  Or should I pay the extra and ship from the US?  I am so grateful for any advice. Thanks, Jennifer

Don't worry about the kids (or even your's) clothing! Dubai is overwhelmed with shopping malls and there are always heavy discounts going on (sometimes upto 80% :) .

I can ask my daughter-in-law where are the best places for kids clothes - she's already in Dubai but has a very low budget so she's always on the look out for the best bargains!

But I myself have questions for you in return to yours:

- usually accomodation is included in the contract package; not yours?
- usually company provides a budget for the purchase of the furniture; not yours?

Hope I have helped you with this.
Cheers
Arlette

Hi Arlette,

Please note that Accomodation in Dubai is only offered by some companies and so expats need to lookout wht they need..Same thing with Furnitues as this is the last thing which a company provide...

What comes in as a package is Salary + mobile + Transport + insurance + flight tickets (normal one)

Some companies have addition of Accomodation, where as somepay that out to the employee as cash

charlesraj wrote:

Hi Arlette,

Please note that Accomodation in Dubai is only offered by some companies and so expats need to lookout wht they need..Same thing with Furnitues as this is the last thing which a company provide...

What comes in as a package is Salary + mobile + Transport + insurance + flight tickets (normal one)

Some companies have addition of Accomodation, where as somepay that out to the employee as cash

Hi Charles,

People keep telling me such in many of the forums I visit but...

Well it's really funny because each and everyone of the proposals my husband had for Dubai or elsewhere was a full package: nice salary + accomodation (furnished) or with budget for the furniture + school fees + medicare + annual airticket + car + mobile (private calls being re-billed to him! And that's what he has now in Dubai :)

OK, maybe he's just being the lucky guy! :)

Because, even if you've got a nice salary but you've to pay for your accomodation and furniture in Dubai... hell in the end you salary will not be so nice anymore, seeing the prices of accomodation in Dubai!

Cheers
Arlette

Hi Arlette,

Youhad spoken the truth....But people still stick to dubai due to the nature and the environment they are in. Even you are bored, you dont fell like moving back...

As you told your hubby is a lucky one to get a full furnished package for him....But in the poplutaion he include in the less than 10% of the working expatriates...

Due to the peaking rents, no companies offer housing to their employees, else you should hit the jackpot like your hus...

cheers to life

Sorry Charles, but you must have misunderstood me: I never said I'm bored! and I am really impatient to join my husband in Dubai in the next few weeks!
Cheers

Wow!  Thanks for all the info and advice! I can really use it!  My husband will be working close to the airport that Emirates flies out of. It seems like many of his co-workers are living close to the Marina? but many of them are younger single men, and we are a family of 5 that are used to living in the suburbs, with lots of space. I don't want to be isolated, though in an area where we may not be accepted/understood as Americans. We're also not used to being in a high rise building where kids can't throw a ball around or be a little noisy. I see several larger houses in Arabian Ranches? Do you know anything about this area or if it's too far from activities?
Yes, we do have an allowance for housing, however housing is much more expensive there than in the US, so we hope to do it as economically as possible, same with the schooling. No allowance for furnishings or phones.
Anyone know of the distance/time from say..Arabian Ranches to the Marina?
Also, do you ever need a coat or sweaters or long sleeves in Dubai?
IS there anything that you wished you had brought with you from the US that is difficult to find in Dubai?
Thanks so much for your help and advice!
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I don't know Arabian Ranches but I found it on Google maps. If you zoom out a little bit you'll see the Marina and will have a little idea of the location.

I myself will be living in the Marina :) although would have preferred a house also.. I have never lived on 20th floor of a building.

Yes you'll need sweaters during the winter months it can get cold ! but you'll be able to find what you need here. Don't bring it over from the States, the kids will have outgrown them before they can wear them! LOL

I believe you can find just anything in Dubai and even more!

All the best
Arlette

Hi Jennifer

You can buy all stuffs you need from Dubai, basis the demands you have, You will need sweaters only during Nov/Dec/Jan as the rest months are hot here

For the housing, you may choose, Arabian ranches with villas, even Springs and greens will be also good for you where you live in a community and all the neighbours are expats from US, UK, living with family....Rents have gone down in Springs and Greens FYI

And I think as your hubby is working near the terminal from where emirates operates, he might be somewhere near Garhoud, Dubai...And whenever he travels to his office from his home he is travelling against the traffic....

Best wishes....let me know if you need some info more

Hi Jennifer,

Discount stores that are comparable to Target or Old Navy? Not really. There certainly are a lot of options, but clothing quality is always higher and pricers are always lower back home. That is pretty much the same even for big-name stores like the Gap. There are some very cheap options for shopping, but you get what you pay for. As for neighbourhoods, I'm quite a fan of Mirdif. It's still affordable. Since your husband will be working near Garhoud (did I read that correctly?), I think Mirdif is a perfect location when compared w/ the Ranches or the Greens.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Susan, a sister Seattlite.

Thanks for your responses!

I am grateful to find this website and for all the advice!

I have a few more questions if you have the time...

Susan,
Since you have lived in Seattle, did you adjust well to the climate change? 
Do you like living in the middle east...and would you be comfortable bringing children there? I have 3 boys ages 8, 11, and 13.  My 8 yr old has some form of mild autism. He receives special education classes and a paraeducator here. Do you know if there are any services for kids there and could you recommend any schools?  We have an allowance for schooling...35K (2nd grade) and 55K for each the older two boys 6th and 8th grade.  We would also consider homeschooling but would like to be involved in a co-op or a homeschooling club for socialization aspects.
Also, when you moved, what kinds of things did you bring with you? It seems like it will be so expensive to have our things shipped, but am afraid not to if things are more expensive there.
I'm feeling overwhemed because I can't visit there, before we make the move.... We're just jumping in blindly with both feet, that have suddenly gone cold!!!!  I sure am sick of this Seattle rain, though!

Thanks so much for all your help,
Jennifer