Can a non-resident get public health cover in Singapore?

Hello!

I am moving to Singapore in 2 weeks. I am booking travel/expat insurance to cover me for the first week or so moving there.

How does the healthcare system work for someone with an EP (Employment Pass)? I am a non-resident and have heard mixed advice that a non-resident can 'voluntarily register and contribute to Medisave and Medisheild'. Others are saying that if you are a non-resident, then tough-titties, you need to fork out for private medical cover.

Can anybody kindly shed some light on this topic? I'm going round in circles...

Thank you in advance!

Hi there,

Yes you are able to get a Hospitalisation and Medical Expense coverage through a Private Integrated Shield Plan from the various Insurance Providers like Prudential, AIA, Aviva, etc.

So far, none of the private insurers provide outpatient benefits, except those tied in under the Shield plan for cancer and kidney treatments. Outpatient benefits are usually provided for under a Company's medical benefit scheme.

(Moderated: No free advert on the forum please)

Cheers,

Hi as long as you hold a valid pass you can get an affordable plan in Singapore. I am new here in this blog. :)

As you are traveling with a flight - you have opted for travel insurance in that scenario health was covered up to certain limits by default in that travel insurance. You need to talk to the company from whom you purchase your travel insurance and ask them what type of health conditions they include or cover on that insurance and how much costs they can bear according to your insurance plan.