New members of the Bulgaria forum, introduce yourself here

Hi, everybody! I'm Asen and I'm living in Sofia, Bulgaria for last 48 years, since I am Bulgarian :) I would like to improve my English thru contacts and conversations with English. I am a graphic designer. My hobbies (some of them in "past tence"): photography, paragliding, diving, hiking. I would be very glad if I meet nice people here. I can help English, that want to learn more about Bulgaria. Thank you!

would love to help you with your english... [email protected] can also add me on facebook

First Thanks to all who may reply

So many questions but about me. I am taking a job there and should arrive around the end of November or Mid December. My Wife and one small dog will be with me. I spoke to Casey there in Bulgaria via one of the blogs and she was very helpful. As I told here the web is full of information but it's always best to get it first hand from someone living it.

Living conditions, food , housing, recreation. and anything and everything you can tell me

Thanks to all

Ron

From which city are you?

I am a UK citizen but live in Arizona USA My husband is american. I have a green card. We want to move to Bulgaria as we can't afford to move back to UK. Can't really afford to live here if I'm not working and I'm so ready not to be. I am a director of nursing for a hospice agency and my husband is self employed as a mechanic but also does construction. We are planning a short trip to Bulgaria in November to look for a home .I have to spend so much time in USA to maintain my green card. We have 2 dtrs in usa and grand children so we will be returning frequently. Does anyone know the requirements for a U S citizen to be able to stay in Bulgaria for longer than 3 months.

Hi,
My name is Susan and my partner and myself own an apartment in Vinitsa.  We have had it for 10 years and are almost finished all the work on it.
I really just wanted to find out how many expats there are in this area of Bulgaria and make contact in case there is anything we need advice on. In Bulgaria it seems better to talk to someone who has had to deal with the same problems before!
We still live full time in Edinburgh but come out to Varna as often as we can.

Hey, I've just moved to Sofia and will be here teaching English for the next year. If anyone wants to join me experiencing the sights and/or nightlife then I'd be keen to speak to you!

Hi for all my friend

Hi
I'm Cas married to Jon. We live in Arizona.We have our property up for sale to make the move but will make it anyway.
We hav e a trip planned 4th to 11th novemeber to check things out and hopefully buy something, either a really cheap fixer or a monthly pay. would like to be in the mountains.My husband is a mechanic but also doe construction. He is american and i am british with a green card and of course we have family here so we would be going back and forward frequently plus trips to uk to see family too.so any advice would be great

Hi ... I am looking to relocate to velikotarnovo , im a plumber /heating engineer ..but I keep hearing bad things that your properties get burgled and everyone wants to rip you off, im looking for a rural property ... is this true ?  Can you give me any advice please , many thanks keith

Hello i am Joey i am 49 years young I come from Holland but i live in England at the moment but i want to leave from here in a couple of months from now and start a new life in Bulgaria In Varna so i hope to meet someone here from BG and maybe you can tell and learn me more about Bulgaria Hope to meet someone on here from BG/UK/Holland or anywhere that lives in BG and tell me more about BG.
Chat to you later maybe.

Thanks Joey ;)

Hi,
My name is Brendon and my Family and myself own an house in Gorna Studena, Veliko Tarnovo. We are looking to move next spring
I would like to find out if there are any expats living this area of Bulgaria

Thanks !

Hi everyone! My name is Mariya, I am 22 years old and I have just moved to Dobrich, Bulgaria. I am originally from the Ukraine and speak fluent Russian, but have been living in the States for many years now. My hobbies are reading and traveling. Looking forward to making new friends in Bulgaria

(Moderated: no copy/paste on the forum pls)

Hello All:) I am in Dublin since a week and would be glad to know more friendly people and to experience Ireland together!

hello  cas and jon,

Good day to you.
I'm tefanny and my husband is peter. we're from uk.
We are going to Bulgaria this month.
apparently we are going home by the 4th of November.
We have to look for some properties there....
Just a thought, why don't you live in Bulgaria for 5 years to obtain citizenship while your husband is going in and out of Bulgaria . just continue do it about 5 years. Just to remind you., you can claim dual citizenship. How about keeping in touch and we will connect with you guys whatever we decide about the property..
Good luck and God bless
tefanny

Hi Keith ,

Can I help you with some information about buying and living in BG ?
                                                     Axinia
axinia.milanova @yahoo.com

Hi Joel ,
My partner is Belgium and already living 9 years in BG . Can we help you with something ?
                                                         Axinia
[email protected]

Hi everyone! I'll move to Sofia this month, will arrive on 15th.
Due to my job, I'll live there for a few years.
First month I'll stay in a hotel, then I'll have to look for a flat, any hints appreciated.
I'll have to go back and forward from the airport few times per week.
Looking forward to meeting new people and learn a new culture!

Hi Tefanny and Peter
I am a resident alien in USA. I am required to maintain residence to keep green card and social security so I have to go back and forward to. I sm a little confused- you are looking for property in Bulgaria or UK?
Cas and Jon

Hello cas and jon,
Thank you for the reply.
Yes we are looking for some properties in Bulgaria this month.
we are UK residents.. and we are only renting here. And it is very expensive now to live here.
So we decided to have a little property and the only we can think to stretch our money is in Bulgaria.
We don't know exactly we were heading for a property.
They say VT is a good place with brits. they mention elhovo as well.
and burgas also with just mild temp in winter time.
So hope everything will be fine.
Tefanny and peter.

Tefanny and Peter
We will be stayingin Apriltsi when we go over. We are looking for something in the mountains.we have been emailing Paul at Bulgarian overseas properties.Also plan to look at 2 properties for sale by private owners.I have lived in the States too long. We would like a place in Wales but can not afford it.Bulgaria sounds like the answer. Let us know how you get on . Our email is [email protected] where do you live in UK.Maybe we could meet up .After all we could end up being neighbours
Cas and Jon

Hi, i' thinking of buying a house in Bulgaria and was hoping for advice as to if it would be cheaper for me to fly over and buy a property or buy off ebay...which seems cheap but then there's the fees of over £500,
Any information would be very helpful to me.

Thank you
Bonita

Hello Bonita ,
Good idea to buy a house in BG but ................ NEVER !! NEVER !! buy true E Bay , that will be the biggest mistake of your live !! Already many did it before you and most of them regret it !! If you want more information etc you can always send me a mail .
                                                   Welcome to Bulgaria ,
                                                   Axinia
[email protected]

Hi  Axinia, ty for your reply...is it best and cheaper to come over to bg and buy property from the owners?

Thanks
Bonita

Hello Bonita ,

Yes sure , there are thousands properties  to buy in BG . Important : dont buy to far away from a little city and not in the middle of nowhere .
                                                                Axinia

Hello Keith ,

If you buy a property in BG dont go and live in the middle of nowhere . Stay near a little or big city .My partner who is Belgium and me dont have any problem where we are living . It's important to come to BG and look by yourself and find out if it's the right place to live .
                                                        Welcome to Bg
                                                        Axinia

Hi Tefanny and Peter ,

Welcome in our beautiful country .
                                                           Axinia

thankyou for your welcome
yes we will be coming soon to look again
look in sredets for first view and thinking it is near Burgos so any one who has better ideas not to move there please offer there feelings
P&T

Hi P&T
All over Bulgaria the nature is beautiful. But it's important that you dont live not  far away from a big or little city . We are living on the border of the Donau river in the north . In my village we are many EU and UK citizen . That's also an advantage . If you like I can send you some pictures .
                                                   Axinia
[email protected]

Hi and ty for info and when you say never buy from ebay why is that?

Why .....
Very easy :
1) the pictures are sometimes from very long time ago .
2) sometimes they say there is water ... yes sure in the well !!! The costs to bring water in the property can go up to 15000 leiva !! And sometimes it's even not possible !!
3) Since many years I am looking on E bay and a lot of times the same property is comming back and sold by " different" people or owners ? Why ?
4) I know many people who bought a property true E bay ! If you give me your mail adress I will bring you in contact with some of them . They are all Inglish citizen and dont want to come to BG anymore !
5) most of this houses ( the very cheap ones ) are only good for demolition . What you see on the pictures is not the reality ... Ask the seller for more pictures like ... electricity  installation if there is one ? The beams from the roof ( full of worms ). Form every single place in the house . From the properties on the left and right side ,maby surrounded by ruines etc etc etc .
Ask the seller if you can go to see the place , I am curious what he will answer .
                                                              Axinia

Thank you for your help an information...it does seem to be a sham on ebay then!
so hows the best and cheapest way to buy property then?

Thanks again for your help :)

The best way to buy :

Take your time and find out maby with the help from EU or UK citizen in wich region you want to live.
Take a flight and go there . Find the village where you feel fine . Ask in the postoffice or local bar if there are properties on the market and it will not take long time before a local will go and look around with you . In all the villages there are lot's of houses to buy directely from the owner !!! You find something .... look for another UK citizen who will help you with information . You can also go to a city nearby and look for a lawyer to help you with all the paperwork . Will never cost more than 500 leiva .
Important  : In the village :
Is there : postoffice ,doctor , regular bustransport , dentist , some shops , bar restaurant , internet connection , benzine station , OTHER EU citizen , do they clean the roads in the winter, little police office or dealy police control .
Is there a little city nearby where you will find everything like in UK ?
                                                                     Axinia

Hello aris, how long have you been in Bulgaria? is there a Filipino community there?
thanks.

Thank you so much. for your help there is quite a lot to look into...I will have to book a little holiday....how do you find the best place to live/buy in bg?

Hello Saffi ,
How to find the best place . Difficult to answer , but I will tell you the story from my partner .
First he bought in an hurry a property 30 miles from Yambol that's 10 years ago ...
Some time later he wanted to start renovation works but it did not take long to find out that he make the wrong decission ! It was in the middle of nowhere , he calls it the warzone , many empty houses lot's of ruines etc ...! So he travel around Bulgaria during 2 or 3 weeks and when he came in my region he fell in love and bought a second home . Now about 9 years later he is still very happy here and went never back to his first property ! Maby you need also look around as much as possible the country and .......... you will find !

thank you again for all your help ... I will have to book a flight soon and find the right location...do you kow where most brits are?

Im a new member. Canadian. I moved also to BG for a special someone. Ive been living in Sofia for the past year now and would love to meet other english speakers!

Hi Magi,   can you tell me about sofia as I really want to buy a property but not too sure where to visit and would love a little holiday home and maybe spend a while there.....it's all quite scary for me as i'm a single mum and just want the best for my boys.

Closed