Am in a situation to solve withholding passports illegally & run away

I was recruited in 2012 by [Moderated: don't put names of companies here pls] as a full time IT consultant to be deployed on premise at Arab Insurance Group. The contract of employment extended from Oct 2012 to Oct 2013.

While being employed at the company I was explicitly communicated that post Oct 2013 I should find an alternative. Based on this, after completing my employment contract with due diligence in Oct 2013, I chose to find a new employer. I informed the company of this decision in Sep 2013.

In order to commence work with my new employer I turned my passport over to the company for cancellation of visa (self and spouse). When I requested for the passports to be returned post cancellation, I was shocked by a mail from the company that demanded a compensation of BD.6300. Further I was threatened with grievous consequences if I didn't oblige to pay.

I tried my level best to solve all the issues and my employer did not agree for any such solutions until he receives BD.6300. After all I discussed my case with LMRA and as instructed I filed the case with public prosecution and Embassy of India to get ours passport back and informed Ministry of labor to get my last month salary, leave salary and indemnity on 19/11/2013.  I also sent my resignation by post and applied for the mobility transfer with LMRA.

Atfer all, when i checked LMRA web site, my previews employer put a run away and my visa became invalid. I have discussed the issue with LMRA and they asked me bring all documents which proves am not Absconding from work.

However, they have no idea when are going to sort it out and how long it takes. He complained, am absent from work since January 2014 where as am not working with them since November 2013. Also i have a question, can an employer make run away if employee already applied for mobility.

Regards

Antony

Hi there. Sorry to hear of your plight. Certain unscrupulous employers are known to do such low down, dirty tactics. But as long as you have all relevant documents and records, you should go to the LMRA. This is indeed a case for the LMRA. And you do need legal assistance in this. Better if you can speak to your lawyer and perhaps even go to the LMRA with them.

Hi,

Thanks for the update. What you said is correct i have to go to LMRA with a lawyer. But am just thinking how can i make aware of people about this kind stupid employers. Lets see...

Thanks

You've done the right thing. Keep LMRA informed and keep all the documents safe. No employer has a right to keep passports in Bahrain.

By law no one has right to hold passport of an expat until someone obtain a court order. In practical, employer just do not care about the police and they do not even bother a Court case as all of them know very well that an expat can not drive so long in dessert.   Whole point is,at the end i need a solution. Its been more than 3 months since am trying to get our passports and as per my lawyer, may get it by end of this month. If some one really can suggest  a way i can put a real complaint which must stop him to continue from such kind of business would be appreciated.

The only way is to inform LMRA about their practices; which you have done already. You can go to court if you like but I don't think you'd want to go through with it.

They dragged me to this and i just do not give up. Mine is not a strange case, even though if i can bring this to media (one of the news paper in Bahrain) i will succeed. But do not know how would i do that.

lifehelpconsultant wrote:

They dragged me to this and i just do not give up. Mine is not a strange case, even though if i can bring this to media (one of the news paper in Bahrain) i will succeed. But do not know how would i do that.

Hi there, :)
This is not the time for you to take revenge on the miserable employer.

1). Quickly check with 2-3 lawyers to see who gives you the best advice and charges the lowest fee.  You already lost lots of time until now.

2). Choose the best lawyer from the 2-3 ones and ask him whether it is a good idea to go to the press.
Do not do anything outside his advice or you might lose him.

You seem to be the rebellious type of employee (something which I really like) and your temperament (which I appreciate) might upset even your lawyer.

3). Find a quick source of income to support yourself until your case is solved and you can re-locate in or out of Bahrain.  Move out of your apartment to cheaper accommodation, reduce on your meals and stop fancy expenses.

This is a time of trial for you and if you act stupidly, it will only get worse.  Do as the lawyer says.

You have to make compromises when you are down and small until your time comes and then you act anyway you wish.  I hate it when a lunatic employer acts abusively and if what had happened to you happened to me, what I would do to him, cannot be written down in words here.

I was lucky not to have too many employers throughout my life and I can say I mostly have been spared of inflicting extreme pain on such despicable persons.  I am on your side, no matter what you may have done to your employer.

Remember from me: some people are just not made to be employees forever.  Be smart: your good time is yet to come!  :top:

You can write to any of the local dailies and I am sure they will publish your letter. But to what extent will it help your case, I don't really know.

Please do take into consideration all the advise given above by the various contributors and do what is required to resolve your immediate problem at hand. Once you have resolved it and have settled in a new job, then you can think of what course of action you should take regarding your former employers.

Best wishes.

Hi,

I submitted all my documents with LMRA to prove am not absconding from work along with a request letter in Arabic. Awaiting for the next response. By the way, do i need a work authorization letter from COURT at this point of time?

Regards

Finally i got the judgement in favor of me and awaiting to get our passports. Now to solve the issue with LMRA.

This is great news. Congratulations.

And thanks for letting us know. Your experience will certainly benefit other members of the Forum.

Best wishes.

I will post each and every step i have taken during this situation as soon as i finish with LMRA.

Finally i got the judgement in favor of me and awaiting to get our passports. Now to solve the issue with LMRA.

Hello life ..., :)

I am glad you got judgment in your favor.

Now talk to your lawyer if there is a chance of winning suing back the stupid employer for legal costs and whatever extra reason you and your lawyer may find.

On a personal note, I think you and your past employer did not fit well: a total zodiac incompatibility issue.
Different characters which collide.

It's great it all did not degenerate into something uglier and bigger.  :top:

What lesson did you learn from this chapter in your life?  :/

One more thing.

Never give your passport to anyone again in your entire life.  Passports do not belong to you.  They belong to the country which issued them.

Never work for an employer who asks for your passport, because you are opening yourself up to be screwed up.
If a new employer asks your documents from you, that will be for your enslavement, tell him that it is not possible to leave documents and passport in his care and that you prefer to leave the job in peace than to stay in his job.

Keep in mind that, no matter how poor and hungry you are, you really need not work for employers, unless your employer is a great man, inventor, a man of value with wonderful professional results and from whom you could learn important lessons.

Never deal with ordinary employers who are hell-bent on screwing everybody up from the start of his venture because such individuals are hootchie-kootchie men and businessmen.

Other than that, you can work on your own at whatever profession you love.

Do not allow anybody to step on your tail, even if you did not eat well for many days.

A strong character will favor a strong mind, a strong business idea, and ... ultimately success, in that order.
I am now waiting to see your answer to my question on my previous post.

And another thing.

It's much better to have pride and no money than to have no pride and no money.  :top:

This is a true secret for success not many people know or if they know, they cannot afford to apply it.

Hi John,

I have got the appointment with lawyer by next Monday and of course i will discuss the matter with him again. What lesson did you learn from this chapter in your life? I could not include the answer in a single sentence, however i think, be the first in our actions, never give up if you are right and have all the evidence.And moreover stand up and attack and attack and attack. May be its just me thinking in this way or may be the influence of LEO.

Hi I just want to ask Mr farhaz according to his case matter because where on the same situation.. i already submit the proofs in lmra that not absconding in my work. I just want to ask mr farhaz clearly if the judgement came from lmra or in other derectorate.. glad for your blessings.. thank u in advance.. best regards to all ;)

Please reply my messages. I just want to ask how long did it takes to get the judgement? And did the lmra call you or you visit the lmra to get the judgement done. Thank you.

Hi jesicasoho, please note this thread is one+ year old ...

Hi jesicasoho, i already shared my contact details with you, please ring me before you take your next step.

Thanks And Regards
[Start By Doing Necessary; then do what is possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible]

I have to leaving my company cuse i have health issues, but they didn't lemme go. They just playing with me bring the case to hr and same hr doing they will send me to management. I dont have time to wait especialy my body getting worst, I was thinking maybe better to runaway, is that possible If I go back to my country to do medical treatment? and how about if I runaway? police will stoped me?

If you have your passport with you, you can exit the country no one will stop you. But once you exit they may report you as runaway (case filed) and you may not be able to come back to Bahrain again.