Swimming lessons in HCM.

I was reading a post on the amount of deaths in Vietnam from drowning, especially amongst children.
I could not believe the amount!
I have been to Vietnam many times and have noticed especially in Vung Tau that people don't actually swim.However most deaths occur in swollen rivers and the like.
I know swimming is not taught in schools, I would like to teach English,TESOL. and add swimming lessons to their curriculum .I have a certificate in swimming and life saving.Is there any person who could add to this thought?

Auswim has a program running here, unfortunately the locals think that learning to swim is not of high importance. Drownings run second to road deaths, around 6000 people mostly kids die each year.

Regrettably this is an unfortunate way to think, especially when learning how to swim could save LIVES!
Yes! I have heard of Ausswim, they do a fantastic job in volunteering their time.It is just that I have not heard of swimming classes being part of any curriculum.
I have never asked. Do children have a sports day, or hour when they are at school?

Yeah, you are right!

I am 29 and just can swim 2 months ago :). Swimming was not in the list of what I were taught at school.

Can you share your swimming course schedule? Let see if I could join, I wanna learn more...

Cheers,
Giang

Hi Giang!
I should have added that I am not in HCM. at this present time. However I will be returning to Vietnam at the end of March to find a little more on what lies ahead in teaching swimming.
You are welcome to keep in touch, and I hope to meet you and your friends!
At the same time I am also able to help you and your friends with English. I have a TESOL certificate in teaching, and will also be able to hold a small class after swimming lessons. What do you think Giang?
Ian.

Well, it's not bad at all Ian

Let keep in touch when you are back, I will ask some of my friend and revert to you later.

Cheers,
Giang