Seeking translator help.

I have inherited a property in Aguadilla and am looking to head down there in a couple of months to work on the property to get ready to sell. I am looking for some help in navigating the process of turning on the electricity and water. They have been off for over a year. Court system extremely slow! I have been to the web sites for electricity and water all forms in spanish. I have called but still am unsure of what I really need to initiate services. Any assistance would be great thank you.

Hi Devsco,

I think that you should try posting your ad in the Translator job offers in Puerto Rico section as well, it may help. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi Devsco,

I can't help with getting you through the process, but I have an online account with AEE/PREPA (the electric company) that I see in English. Try this link: http://prepa.com/servicios_eng.asp  It has a summary of what you need to do as a residential customer for service. I know parts of the AAA (water company) website can be seen in English, but unfortunately I can't find the link to get you there. (If I do, I'll post it later.)

When I set up my own accounts, I know it helped (or maybe it was required) to have the account number and/or name of the last owner of the electric account. The same is true for AAA (the water company: acueductospr.com). Be prepared if the last account was left with money owed, you might have to pay the bill or spend time finding the old owner to pay the bill. (If the utilities were just turned off but the accounts were never closed, maybe you can just re-open them.)

If the utilities consider your request as a transfer, it will be simpler for you.  If they consider this new service, you may be required to get electrician's or plumber's inspection certificates, I'd like to tell you that this is easy and can be done quickly, but usually it's just the opposite!  Good luck!

Hi VKBUDD,

I appreciate all the info you gave about the electric and water accounts.  We are planning on moving down to PR in early May and I have written down all the info you gave.  Once we find a suitable house to rent then we will begin to either change the service or transfer it, which ever the case will be. 

I have obtained a lot of useful info on this site and hope to continue to use it once we are on the island. 

Thanks again.

Maria