Looking for Tabletop-Roleplayers in HCMC (DnD,Pathfinder,WoD,SW)

Hi,
IŽm looking for a group of fellow nerds (and I know my chances are slim on this forum) to get some gaming on. This is just a preliminary survey of interest, things like place, time and other things will be decided if we get enough people together. I own  ton of PDFs, ranging from Shadowrun 4th Edition to Chaosium stuff. I personally prefer Savage Worlds as my go-to universal system, but am willing try out new things provided I am given the material needed. I personally lean towards Sci-Fi, Horror, Post-Apoc settings, but a solid fantasy game is nothing I will thumb my nose at.
If youŽre interested, send me a note !
Greetings
Eric

Hi Eric,

I suggest you to post an advert in the section activities in Vietnam to target more people regarding your search.

Since when do you have this passion for gaming?

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

im in but are they all online mmorpgs? cause my inet really sucks here...

@ Hasnaa : Thanks, I will ! IŽve been doing it for a while(I still have much to learn though), why do you ask ?
@missmae: We would be doing this...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabletop_ … aying_game
No computers involved :) (Well ok, pdfs and such... :D )

I love all things nerd but have never ventured into this, are n00bs welcomed?

N00bs are welcome :) The only thing I would recommend is that you do some research on it if itŽs really a thing for you, but IŽm always happy to bring new people into the fold. I can send you some stuff over email if you like :)

Thanks, I am pretty familiar with how it goes. An ex roomie of mine would play every weekend. I never did because they were hardcore Bronies, though. ;) Feel free to PM me, I'm on my phone and can't. Lol

Hah! I figured I would find something on here. I won't be in Vietnam until April, but I'd really like to play as well. I haven't had a chance to play WoD or SW, but I have played and GM Pathfinder (both Society and Adventure Paths) for several years now. I haven't run anything that's been entirely written by me since that's very time consuming, but I'd be happy to start GMing Pathfinder Society or an Adventure Path (like a long campaign) again. People new to tabletop gaming are highly welcome!

I also play and GM FATE, but I'm already running a FATE game (under Strands of Fate) for a group of friends online, so I'm not looking for starting another one :)

I land in HCMC next week and would love to give some of these games a try! The closest I've ever gotten to games like these is like...Bang...Munchkin....are those games similar to the ones you're talking about? I had a lot of fun with those! Add me to your interest list please :]

Munchkin is primarily a parody of said roleplaying games, and can be a lot of fun :) Bang, well, some of itŽs elements :). Being a noob is no problem.

I think the biggest difference is that these game are role-playing games, not board games. So while you may play board games and have fun getting to know your friends, you play tabletop RPGs as your character and it's very possible (likely, even) that you can spend a lot of time playing tabletop RPGs with someone without knowing much about their life (you probably know a bit about their personality). Tabletop gaming groups usually don't mind this, and some even consider it a nice feature :) Some, like my current group, make a point of having non-gaming social nights to get to know each other better.

If anything, I'd say that tabletop RPGs are much closer to RPG video games than board games. But it's much, much, much freer than video games, because the limit of what you can do is your imagination.

Hello! Definitely interested. Im familiar with DnD 3.5, Deadlands, Warhammer Dark Heresy. I own a bunch of PDF's of it all as well. I'm willing to try new things as well!

You should feel right at home with Pathfinder if you're familiar with 3.5. The changes are minor, however, so you'll find yourself caught by surprise by many things. I've recently helped someone with 3.5 background to start with Pathfinder.

I own a lot of the Pathfinder books, but I can't bring them all to Vietnam, so I'll be bringing only the core rulebook and the PDF version of the other ones.

I'd definitely be interested in playing pathfinder. My only experience with it is watching RollPlay R+D on itmejp youtube.com/user/itmeJP. The fundamentals seem quite similar, and does not look like a steep learning curve either

Hey guys, sorry for  not being active the last few days.
@Educatog, thank you for eloquently summarizing what I should have said in the opening post :) I agree wholeheartedly on the idea of social non-gaming nights.
@shaasheye. Awesome!!! I love the Warhammer 40k roleplaying derivatives (I just bought Only War at the steep price of 60 euros before I came here), but I think the whole doom-and-gloom of 40k his hard to sell to people who are unfamiliar with the setting.Sadly.
IŽll be honest. Fantasy always was the red-haired stepchild in my gaming enviroment,which it shouldnŽt have been, and IŽm more experienced at GMŽing in other settings. But IŽm getting way ahead of myself. first things first:
I have no dice with me, go figure. It just hit me like a brick wall today. And I safely assume I canŽt buy them here either. Either I beg educatog and kntrinh to buy some so gaming merch for a complete stranger who would pay them for it (IŽd rather not), or we use dice-apps on our smartphones. 
@kntrinh: Are you in Vietnam yet ?
IŽll write a PM to everybody, but suggest that those interested meet at a café in Saigon this week, on Sunday if possible, or we plan a meeting for next week.
ItŽs best we discuss in person our gaming and genre interests.
I hope educatog can join us soon :)

You can use invisible castle, but really a large part of gaming joy is rolling the dice :p

Worry not, I have plenty of dice, both polyhedral and fudge. I even have a grid map. I won't be in Vietnam until April 5th, and will likely be busy apartment hunting in the first few days, but I'll be happy to meet up during the weekend.

I'm willing to meet this sunday. I also have some friends visiting from the states who can grab my dice from my storage if need be. We can always wait for educatog as well! I know roll20 (dot) net is a great site for hosting online gaming and dice rolling, with plenty of macros and the like. Send me a PM anytime to arrange a meet!

I arrived yesterday D: sorry I won't be able to procure any for us...but let me know about a meeting if we have one this week!

So did you guys meet up? How did it go? Keep me updated!

Sadly IŽve only heard back from Shaasheye, and he had some friends over unexpectantly on Sunday. I hope to meet him this week. The other ones havenŽt replied to my private messages.

Any luck on finding dice here in HCMC? Really just looking for D6's, without having to buy board games.

I won't be in VN for a couple of months, but keep me posted. If you need some dice, let me know and I can pick some up in the US before I come over. I am not very experienced in table-top role play, but I've been involved with two weekly D&D games and enjoyed both of them.

if you're still there in about five years i might join lol thats like the most unexpected question i could think of here.

So who's up for a weekly game? I'm here now and I've been looking for people to play with, still. I have all the dice and even some books.

Hey all, im so happy to find all of the interest! i would love to join the group.  Is there a facebook group where we can coordinate times?
I'm open to any game and would be totally willing for a weekly game session.  Any fellow RPPR fans out there? Where can i get an info dump on all the specifics?

oh and i've got plenty of dice (minus fudge/fate specific dice) and a few decks of cards for Savage World, and hundreds of pdf's and am willing to share.

Would you be interested in meeting up sometimes this week? I haven't been able to connect with anyone here so far (some people I've talked to but they've since left), and I'm not aware of any Facebook group. I'd love to be able to get a game going though.

ya for sure, i work during the week and sat afternoon.  we could tentatively set up a time, i would be free from 6pm on sat or anytime on sunday. what would work for you?

How about Sunday evening? Around 7pm --- we can go for a coffee.

Ya that works.  For everyone in this forum you can add me to facebook, my name is Daniel Rapinchuk (pic is me with a movember mustache) and i could try to coordinate a time and place for a tabletop group meet.  If you want you can send me a PM if facebook isnt an option for you.  If we get a response i will try to set up a separate facebook group for us.

Looks like a very nice game :)
I will try it when i go to vietnam

I'll be moving to Vietnam for two years on the 15th of August. It would be great to get to continue with my hobby, I'm happy GM-ing and am particularly fond of Edge of the Empire.

Hey just making sure we get a bump on the forum posting.  Also i will be starting a facebook group within the next few days to hopefully draw more people, as of now only a few reply to the forum and even less meet.

I will be updating this thread in a few days with the facebook group so we can meet and chat in a more user friendly environment.

Once again you can add me to facebook at Daniel Rapinchuk (my pic is me with a douchy moustache) or shoot an e-mail at [email protected].

cheers,

I'll be over there in August. Would be super keen to play a table top pen and paper. Currently playing a few Parhfinder campaigns. Have played Shadowrun, Mechwarrior, D&D and a few white wolf games too.

Hey

Ya for sure, i've tried to reboot the thread but only two people showed up, it would be great to add you as well.  I am ok to play anything.  i have been super sick for two and a half weeks so i havent gotten to work on getting this going for a bit but i'd be happy to have you join.

Hey! It looks like I have amassed a critical mass for a group (maybe even 2 groups!). If anyone is interested, PM me your email so I can get everyone together in the next day or two :)

Hey!

Also interested in this! Experience with some Warhammer 40K stuff (but that was a long time ago so I'm N00b I guess) and I'd like to try DnD or Pathfinder games. Is this still going? Weekends seem like the ideal meet-up times.  :)

Hey we are having our first gaming session of D&D 5th Ed this Thursday add me on Facebook Daniel Rapinchuk or look up Saigon Nerd Patrol on fbook and il add you

I was looking for a group like this in Hanoi recently. Unfortunately for me, it seems as though all the sociable nerds in the country were drawn to HCMC :( Boo.

Moved to hcmc a few weeks ago, and have been half heartedly looking for some gaming outlets.

Today i actively sought it, and found this thread. I would be keen to be involved if its still a thing!

Based on the last post in this thread, I found saigon nerd patrol on facebook. And clicked join

I'm a bit new to pen and paper games, played a bit of play by post pathfinder, but am willing to learn anything just to get playing

Cheers

Kev

Hey,

Did you ever manage to get a group going? I have been playing Pathfinder with a group at my house for about 18 months now, but I am the DM and I was hoping to find a group I could play with as a PC.

Matt