Plans in life

Escott brought up an interesting topic in another thread..
Plans.

How are we on that point? Do we have plans or is it just dreams?
Do we make real plans and go ahead with them, or do we just take things as they come?

What is your opinion?

I think we all try to realize our dreams/plans ... but we all have to be flexible sometimes!

Living abroad is a dream for a lot of people but they never go ahead, because they've got a mortgage, young children, and they don't want to be far from their family and friend ... Who never dreamt to live in DR for example? :D (this country just looks like a paradise)

What about you Carina, did you planned to Dominican Republic a long time before your move, was it an old dream, or not?

For me, I've still got dreams to live in a foreign country but it's hard to make a decision ... because it will influence the rest of my life!

For me it was happenstanse.  After spliting with my wife and having nothing else going on I decided to travel.  Came to the DR on a last minute internet fare for the first time in almost 30 years as I hated it the first time.

Came back a month later on another last minute internet fare and at that point I knew it was for me.  It had a vibrant expat community and it was so inexpensive it was hard to not love it.  Things have changed and thankfully my finances were able to take the changes and it cost nearly as much to live here now with the exception of a few things such as help.  Full time Maid 130 per month, full time gardener (car washer and pool cleaner) 185 a month.  Use to be under 200 for both but alas prices have gone up.

I bought some real estate here to cussion me from escalating prices so I didn't get hurt that much and am doing very well here.

All in all my finances have improved since living here so no complaints other than "How good life USE to be" reflections:)

I planned everything out and had my permanent residency by the time I landed here full time.  Had money here, a car, real estate and was pretty much entrenched here with friends before I landed.  I now have my citizenship and am happy I went for it although everyone including my attorney just asks WHY?

It is fun here and crazy.  I love the place for all its crazyness.

Escott

In a way I planned.
We visited, we even had a rented home here for longterm stays before we actually moved. ( in the sense of getting rid of all back home ).