Activities for my wife...

Hey fellow expats...my wife is coming for a visit here in a few weeks and I was hoping for some advice form the married couples here...I have been here without her for the last 4 months and I am not very well versed on the social scene for couples. Any suggestions?

I am thinking of doing the observation towers at Kingdom and Faisaliah, and maybe eating in The Globe restaurant...any other suggestions? Also if any of you singles girls have any ideas for activities just for the girls, let me know. She will only be here 10 days, so I am trying to give her a pretty well rounded idea of the whole place...

Thanks

TE

Hey WTENGEL - I had the same experience your wife is going to have in so far as a short visit initially to Riyadh.  Are you on a compound?  if yes, if you can get hold of the monthly activity plan and the bus schedule - you will see if there are any coffee mornings or special activities coming up in that period for her to consider.  If she is only here for 10 days though what could be really useful is if you can check with one of your expat colleagues who are married with their wife in Riyadh.  If their wife is willing to be a buddy to yours for a couple of days so during the day she can be taken around and shown the ropes.  I kept a journal for the first 7 days of my first time trip and published it daily to a small selection of good friends.  It forced me to do things daily, to keep a positive and open mind and because I knew I was having to write about each day, I then had to make sure that I found out some interesting things to do.  It also helps if she could have a driver for a couple of days - then she could invite a couple of the other women.  If you are not on a compound, it really will help if you can ask colleagues otherwise she will have to ask the hotel crew on what's what - and I don't think that will be a huge help to her.  The evenings, there are evening souqs (not sure if I spelt that correctly), there are Art Galleries - ask a colleague if they don't mind hosting a b-b-q for one evening.  Call your Embassy and check if they have anything scheduled during that time?  If you haven't done so already, you need to register with your Embassy and get on their mailing list, that way you will receive all the info on what's on get the invites (very important)!.  I hope this helps, I am a novice - I am sure someone else more experience in Riyadh matters will be a huge help to you and your wife.  What's her name by the way?  Max

Will you have that time off work?

Hi Alliecat - I originally asked for two months unpaid leave at work but they said they couldn't afford me out of the org for that amount of time.  Was really short thinking on their part as now I have resigned and am going for this hook, line and sinker!  I have been backwards and forwards to Riyadh since March and my work engagement ends last day of June.  So, as of July I will be a lady of leisure - but for me, as much as the idea can be quite attractive, I don't see myself as a 'Stepford Wife', so I really do have to come up with a couple of 'projects' to keep me out of cabin fever syndrome - the two I have share here are just two for now.  Why, what are you thinking?

One quick point, the expat women's social scene on compounds dies over the summer.

Schools finish between 8th June and late June and as there are limited activities available for children when there not at school, most women and children leave as soon as school ends.

Coffee mornings don't run during summer and often compound bus services are significantly reduced.

Please let her know that this time of year isn't normal, that normally compounds are full of women & children & their are a lot more organised activities occurring.

I will have about half the time off. I work 12 hours shifts, I can do something the other half of the day with her...I am looking for a few things for her to do while I am at work...

Doh!  sorry guys - just realised Alliecat was not directing her Q at me - how silly of me!

Typical Brit...it's all about you!  :P  (tongue firmly in cheek)

I really love it here in Riyadh and I hope to put the city's best foot forward (even though it will be 50 C, which will make it very hard...)

I also am trying to find a diverse group of people for her to hang around with too...

Anyway, just feeling it out and seeing if anything jumps out...

For you married folks, what are some of the things couples do around here...all I can think of is coffee, shopping, and that's about it...

Hmmmm, sort of hoping that latter bit is not for response! LOL My husband and I have b-b-q's with others (such a shame I am not there when your wife is over as we could have invited you both), we mainly spend quality time together.  You say 50 C WOW, that will be a challenge as you guys will be inside a LOT!

What dates will your wife be over?  I am there 5 July and would love to show her around if the dates match?

@alethe some good points you have raised there, some I did not properly think out either!  hmmm, will really need to pay this some more thought and see what I can come up with that could work.  On EID there will be quite a few women still around during the hot summer, so I had already been working on some 'indoor' activities due to the heat, but I have to say, I am struggling to think of 50 C in Saudi terms (Caribbean terms - no problem) but the Saudi heat is something else.

I arrive almost 2 years ago in August and my compound was almost totally deserted during the day.  Compound management here have a rule they won't run the shopping bus for less than 5 people, which mean't it only ran about 20% of the time, until Ramadan came and went.

Although people promised me things would get better when Ramadan came and went, It was a really bad intro to Riyadh and I found it very hard to stay positive.

During the peak of last years summer (July/Aug) we hit 55C.... fellers

well there are a few places you can go out to within Riyadh. the national museum springs to mind first. and there are lots more. Maybe a trip to the edge of the world as well but it would be really really hot now.