Struggling To Find Work

Hi guys,

Does anybody know any industry in Malaysia currently in search of hiring foreigners with a degree?

I grew up in Malaysia for a period of ten years under a student visa and flew to Australia to undertake a bachelor degree in business immediately after graduation. I also applied for a temporary residence visa in Australia for a period of 18 months as my work with a former employer was ongoing. I have recently relocated back to Malaysia to be closer to my family and have been struggling to find job opportunities in the area of my studies - Economics and Finance.

I have been submitting applications - resume and cover letter - here and there and have not gotten a call for interviews yet. I'm beginning to suspect that it's either due to the hassle the employers have to go through to obtain a work permit for applicants or that the industry isn't hiring foreigners especially graduates with no relevant experience. Having said that, I'm open and keen to explore other industries who are looking to hire foreigners with a degree - in an entry-level role.

If anybody has any story or information to tell, please do share as it'd be most helpful.

I am coming to Malaysia next month.....want to start poultry business there..any have any idea about it is it good business there or not

I haven't a clue about doing poultry businesses. I think you might wanna start a thread of your own on the main forum about establishing a poultry business here in Malaysia. You will get more and better feedback from others.

I hate to be harsh, but you have a Business studies degree and two years admin experience. So what? A business studies degree is meaningless/'worthless' (well it is - high flyers don't do these it is a subject for low flyers career wise) and you have no worthwhile skills or experience. And you expect to be employable competing against 100,000s of local young graduates who will work for far less (in admin jobs a Bus St grad is suited for) and no work permit hassles? Sorry to be blunt but these are the facts of life. If you did Bus Sts thinking it would equip you for a career in Business you are seriously mistaken or badly lied too by whoever advised you. I know in Asia that is common, it is so sad to see the rubbish told to youngsters. A good academic degree and 5 years hard experience with the top 15% of employers is what you need to be an expat (generally). Just a degree these days is nothing it has lost it's value as so many grads. Welcome to a mature economy!

You do the maths. Best you go home and work locally - unless Brunei and Malaysia have an agreement visa wise in which case you may get a low paid job 1500-2000 RM per month as an entry level clerk.

If you are not crying yet, you may have enough toughness in you to actually remedy the situation. Get some real experience in a real job back home!

Your views are spot on and I don't deny any of them, though your bluntness astounded me a little.

A foreigner with an overseas business degree with only two years of admin work in a not-so professional organisation searching for job opportunities in his area of studies? You're right, and I can't kid myself. That kind of profile isn't going to get me anywhere near my target, because there are clearly far better competitors with low qualification and probably more experience to offer.

Which is why I'm not sticking around the same industry to find myself a sponsorship but I'm definitely hoping that I could obtain some work experience in a similar industry and hopefully get myself in a better position than I am right now. I've heard others with similar background, no experience while in the same situation succeeded but that because luck played out their way, favoured them.

I don't mind a low-paid job because that's where everyone starts out. But I'm not going to give up just yet. Going home would be the last resort and I have no plans on going back home in the meantime. I've stayed in Malaysia for roughly 10 years and all my family and friends are here.

So the reason I started this thread is that I hope someone in a similar situation could offer their advice, share their experience and offer suggestions as to what I could have done something that I may not know. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your feedback, one to keep me awake. ;)

hi as a foreigner the point is you CANT START AT THE BOTTOM!

You have to be paid 5k min and under 8k questions are asked.

Basically you need to go home, work on getting into a worthwhile profession and get either professional qualifications or good experience. Try again in 5 years when you not a 'babe in arms'.

The quick fix won't work. even if you find something it will ruin your future most likely. You need to plan ahead and have a decent career.

Asif - you will need to set up a company to operate a business in Malaysia. Depending on whether you have a Malaysian as a Director (or co-owner), the amount of capital required to be invested. Basically, you need to own a company or have a job with a local employer who is able to hire foreign workers to get a work permit which allows you to stay in Malaysia. Business licences are another area you should clarify and of course, getting a Halal certification.

But Gravitas this young man has little experience - a real disaster to set up a business.

For all those recent grads looking for a job in Malaysia from overseas (so many!) basic advice should be always "stay away"

The only person I ever met under 27 (outside of ICT) with less than 2 years experience who got a job in Malaysia is an exceptional young lady, who got the job in Malaysia via her networking and she is really bright and hard working. A high flyer you can see after 10 mins. She doesn't post on forums like this as she networks the Asian way. In person! She can pick or choose jobs back in Vietnam, but wants an international career and studied in Europe. Those that can't get jobs back home due to recession or just coming from a 'failed state' where employment or living is horrible, can't really expect to get a job easily in another country. Malaysia only wants foreign talent with exceptional skills to add value to the Malaysian economy, and rarely a younger person with exceptional drive and ability.

I do feel sorry for those from 'failed states' who want to go overseas. But life is tough, Also those in love with a Malaysian partner, or just want adventure or can't get jobs due to the great recession. But you have to plan ahead to be an expat. 30 years ago someone without qualifications/experience could turn up in Asia, work in a bar, and have a go at building a business. I know some that did that. But now that is impossible as Malaysia is first world (almost) not desperate for anyone foreign to work here.