Teaching salary and benefits with ADVETI

Hi MechTeckUK,

It's been awhile since my initial offer, about a month. I'm not too sure if they've been working on getting me the visa since then. And no, there was nothing mentioned in the offer regarding a relocation package, I'm hoping that this will be mentioned once I receive the official offer.

Thanks to let me know sanderr.

Hi Tranquility,

The process seems to be very slow. I'm confused with terms like initial offer and official offer.

When one should give notice to quit at present work during the initial offer or they have to wait until the official offer and wait further until the visa get processed, before quitting the present job?

Tranquility how you have done this? you still in your current employment while this being progressed?

Cheers

Hello MechTeckUK,

Yes, everyone seems to say it's a very slow and long process, particularly after receiving the initial offer.

With the official offer, you must provide all the required documents like a copy of your passport, qualification, reference etc. And I think only once these documents have been received and confirmed do they send you the official offer. In the initial offer it does state that you should not leave your current job until you have received your official offer.

Currently, I have not left my job and am waiting on receiving the official offer.

Are you still awaiting the initial offer MechTeckUK?

Hi Tranquility

I haven't received any offer so far. It is just that the agency confirmed me that the panel has recommended me for the position and shortly they will be sending me a offer letter.

However, since then nothing has happened. Your reply was very helpful to me in deciding that I should move-on with my plans here, until I hear something from them as a final call.

I have no clue if they are any further interested to offer me that position, now it's long time after my interview and till today they didn't confirmed me anything.

What is your status now any improvements?

Good Luck!

Hi everyone hope u r fine ,I am graduate in Maths and physics I have 9 years of experience in teaching math for G7,G8,G9, Fsc in different curriculum now I am looking job in Abu Dahbi ,Dubai  unfortunately I have not B.ed  yet but good skill in mathematics so plz anyone tell me what should I do ? I am at visit vis a and I have 15 days now here any useful idea plz suggests me ,can I aply in ADVEc or ADveti? Reply

Hi
I am Nasser, an English language trainer, currently working in Saudi Arabia. I am planning to move to the UAE. Any help!
I have done MA English (Applied linguistics) and Post Graduate Diploma in Mass Communication and Journalism.

Hi Tranquility,

I received my initial offer last week and was asked to submit all necessary documents which I did. What is your status now? Did you receive your final offer and when were you asked to join the firm?

Any help or comment is recommended.

Have a nice break.

Hi when are you expected to start?

Hi everyone,

This thread is so helpful,  thanks to everyone who took the time to share their experience.

It sounds like then,  you never actually are given a start date? I received my official offer in December but they cannot even give a ballpark date. It doesn't actually matter if I start in August or next week but I do have to know due to rent,  job commitments,  the usual. 

It seems from reading this thread though,  that this is a pipe dream

Please make sure you have your university quals endorsed by the Embassy of UAE in the country it was awarded in, so that this can be further endorsed by the Miinistry of Higher Education in UAE. This new decree came into force late last year, for all tertiary teaching staff members.

Hey there! I've been following this thread and I'm a bit disconcerted now after reading all of the bad reviews ... I've just been given an initial offer which I've signed and sent back, just waiting on the final offer, no idea how long that's likely to be though.

Sam, your message said that you've started a Facebook group entitled ADVETI STARTERS 2015/16 but I can't find it anywhere to join! Is it still there or has it been renamed or anything?

I'm getting really worried now after seeing all of the bad info: I previously had a terrible time in a similar position in China and everything everyone is saying sounds exactly like my last job which is EXACTLY what I'm trying to avoid!!

Any info you guys can impart would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi danielita,
The Facebook group is still there ADVETI starters 2015/16. But sorry I can't give you any information about the actual job itself since I haven't actually started yet. Mobilisation date is set for this Wednesday so we shall see.

Hmm, I still can't seem to find it ... it says "no results for your query." How strange!?!

Good Luck with the move and keep us posted - it would be nice to see a friendly face when I eventually get out there (doesn't seem so daunting then!) :-D

(PS: could you maybe post a link to the page - it may have something to do with my IP address or something as I'm having no luck when searching for it, can't think what else it could be ... I did look on the FB Help page and it suggests that the number of members may impact its ability to be found when searching, no idea how likely that is though?)

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of external links not allowed.

This is normal - I had the same wait - it was three months from starting interview, to finalising my paperwork and getting on the plane. I currently still work for Adveti. Its a good salary package with Adveti; and if you are careful with your spending, you can do okay, even save a little.  But, you will work hard for the company.... Most UAE govt companies are stringent and, Adveti is no different. Be prepared to put in long hours.

Thanks for the info... I was hoping to save more than  a bit on that package!? Are you there on your own or with family?

Same ... I was hoping to save a considerable amount, not just a bit. Is it really that expensive??

JayaChelaDroma, you mentioned that the hours are long ... What is the average working day? Do you not have set school hours where once you finish work, you go home? Working hard doesn't bother me, that's fine - but working well outside of my contracted hours isn't exactly something I'm prepared to do :-/

I'm here by myself; sending back each month to family. I cover all my own costs. I save a 'little'. Not as much as I hoped, but better than nothing!

Good luck Sammy

I know you will be busy but please do update on your experience as I hope to follow your footsteps soon

For people already there.   How was it finding a place to live?

Save abit, am taking my family and still hoping to save much more than abit.
Can i just ask when you say your expected to put in alot of work is this during my contracted hours or outside these.

Good questions.

I'm so happy I found this forum cos I'm getting nothing from my agent

Anyone got any tips what we should ensure agents do before we leave

Danielita789 - my day begins at 5am, when I rise; I get ready then drive (finally learning just four months back to drive on the right side of the road, differing from the Australian left side) the 1/2 hour to work, there by 7am. Don't be late or pay is deducted (I'm serious). Classes start at 7:30am and go until 3:40pm (Thursday, we finish at 3:00pm). I drive home, spend an hour or so relaxing; then the next four or so hours working on planning, marking, etc. Some personal time is used to cook, eat and write emails. I rarely get to bed before midnight. Working week is Sunday to Thursday;  and Friday is Holy day, so I do the house work and shopping that day; then Saturday, I plan for the coming week - at least 1/2 a day. And that is how its been for two years now. It takes time to work out how to juggle it all. And when I first arrived, I spend much of my spare time sorting out my domestics ie. making my place cosy on a tight budget. Hope that helps!

Oh and I thought everyone gets same wages but looks like married people get a higher rate

Wow it's a 9 hour day? What do you do at work? What are breaks etc like?

Oh and since we pay for accommodation up front and I'm on probation for three months. What are my options I don't want to pay for a place and have to leave or what if they move me to a different emirate !

Umme, You will not be moved in the first year.. that is not the Adveti way....  No, you will usually do at least a year in one emirate before you will (possibly) be moved.  So relax on that front. I was in Ajman campus (north east of Dubai) for the full duration of my contract; and then I put in to be moved to Al Ain (1.5 hrs south-east of Dubai), which is where I teach now.  Breaks are whenever you are not teaching (usually 28 periods in the week; but there are 'covers' too, if anyone is sick, that are spread around the teachers).

Ok great thanks for reply

Did you get help with housing? How easy was it to sort a house and car?

I am hoping to be a teacher trainer

You know anything about my hours or role?

Also anyone know about housing costs and where's the best place to live?

So you've finished your two years and have taken up another 2. Is that right?
Also how many classes do you teach a day what are the students like I hear they can be a unruly bunch.
Also the 3 month probation. What would be the reasons for one to fail this.

Did you get help with housing? How easy was it to sort a house and car?
I got 'help' from another teacher, to find my accommodation initially. Adveti assists with any legals you don't understand.

You know anything about my hours or role?  The hours are as I've explained (7:00am till 3:40am, except Thursday which finishes at 3:00pm; plus one or two Saturday mornings each semester; and any overtime required for the exam periods).

Also anyone know about housing costs and where's the best place to live?  Depends on where you are posted. Costs vary from 27,000 dirhams annually for a one bedroom; to 60,000 annually for a 2-bedroom with a nice view, in Ajman; but you have to look around. I pay 56,000 annually (2-bedroom) and live in Al Ain. I've also lived in Ajman and Sharjah (47,000 per annum for one-bedroom). You must also factor in water, electricity and gas, plus internet and/or, mobile phone (Etisalat is the better company for roving network - Du is the other company.  But personally, I'm much happier on a 2-year contract, paying about 279 dirhams a month, than prepaid which you chew through too fast.

So you've finished your two years and have taken up another 2. Is that right?  I finished the first contract, and now I'm on an open contract; but resigning after the cutoff each year, will attract a hefty fine, so you have to be careful of your overheads if you want to finish at the end of your contract and not incurr further debts.

Also how many classes do you teach a day what are the students like I hear they can be a unruly bunch.  Students can be very unruly; and they can equally be, such a blessing and very sweet. Its about getting to know them, and they learn your nature and 'rules of conduct'.  And it all depends on whether its girls or boys you are teaching as to their behaviour. They are otherwise, typical teens.  I teach the standard 28 classes a week.

Also the 3 month probation. What would be the reasons for one to fail this.  Poor behaviour management of the students, poor personal behaviour ie. dressing poorly, swearing in front of the students, denouncing their lifestyle, religion, etc... many of the same things one would fail in the West, too. UAE is very reasonable as a rule.

What's the difference between teaching boys or girls?

Are they not mixed?

Also can someone please add me on fb
Fillah Ukhtee so I can join the Abu Dhabi group

I can't find it but hoping I can via someone else

Much appreciated

Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, you've cleared up many things for me.

Yes. Thanks from me too

Umme...   What's the difference between teaching boys or girls?
No difference in the teaching of the lessons; but the behaviour management tends to be different according to the focus levels, 2nd language learning challenges, absorbtion levels and obviously, gender - each needing a different approach.

Are they not mixed? No, never. Always in separate sections of the school - they do not mix, ever.

Also can someone please add me on fb
I am unable to add anyone on anything!  Sorry about that.

Thanks for all your help. Have a good day

:gloria You are welcome. Good luck!

Umme, I just saw your other question: Car's are easy to lease or, buy new; and there are mostly new to fairly new cars on the road. Plus the UAE govt is strict about road worthiness. The worst clogging is the traffic in Sharjah at peak hour ; and some parts in Dubai (and they drive VERY FAST in Dubai - watch out!).  And the UAE is full of idiot drivers in fast cars who don't indicate... be a safe driver and lead by example - use your indicator and common sense!  But, if you need to wait for a while before you buy, then taxis are plentiful and run on an Emirate to Emirate basis. Petrol is cheap at about 1.9 dirhams a litre (costs me about 90 dirhams to fill my car from empty). Driving is in the right hand lane here....  licences are for 10 years. Hope that helps!   :cheers:

Yes thanks but I just realised my offer is not for the post I went for

Soooo disappointed and thinking again.

Why make me interview if the jobs not available!!!!

No trainers positions right. How comes they didn't tell you this at the time. We found out on the day of the interview.